Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:23 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

I would make Laura707's Doritos Casserole. You would have to brown 2# of hamburger, but its easy and
everyone likes it.
Dorito Mexican Casserole 6-8 servings

2 lbs ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 1/2 soup cans milk
1 bag plain Dorita's (I use Nacho Cheese)
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Brown together ground beef and onion until beef is brown and onion is tender; drain well.
Add the mushroom soup, cheddar cheese soup, Ro-tel tomatoes and milk to beef/onion mixture; stir until well mixed.
Line a X baking dish with the Dorita's.
Cover with the meat/soup mixture and sprinkle completely with the cheddar cheese.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 02:37 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Reuben's ! Even our 3 year old Gdaughter loves them. Or King Ranch casserole without the Ro-Tel. Could even used canned chicken if you like.

//www.city-data.com/forum/12732543-post1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuben_sandwich

We don't use a dressing just Mustard.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:49 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Oh Tuna casserole is good too!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/best-tu...le/detail.aspx

http://www.food.com/recipe/tuna-casserole-13630

Wife makes a much simpler form and it's pretty good. She's not here at the moment or I'd get her recipe. Kids love it too.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:17 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
If you have a Costco nearby get them , Pizzas, frozen Lasagna, Fresh Rotisserie Chickens, Lots of fresh frozen and prepared food that can be heated and served. Also lots of fresh fruits, veggies and snack foods. Instead of killing yourself making a meal go to Costco and then offer to drive the kids to school, practices etc..
This whole thing was set up by someone else, and the "chores" are divided -- some people are cooking meals, some are helping with transportation, some are providing "goodie bags" for the kids, etc. Cooking, though it's not something I do often, is the best option for me at this point. I appreciate the suggestions, though!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:19 PM

SO many good ideas, here! How to choose, how to choose ???

Thanks for the great suggestions .....

Old 08-29-2011, 06:30 PM

238 posts, read 227,563 times
I'm trying to think of some of our easier meals that are fairly generic that most people like. Since we spent a lot of years on a very tight budget, most have the benefit of being pretty frugal.

Beans & rice, with or without meat

Lentil soup/stew can be vegan or vegetarian but easy enough to make meat-eater friendly w/chicken broth & sausage

Potato, onion, carrot & sausage hotpot with or without cabbage

Super simple pot roast with baby carrots, potatoes, pearl onions (frozen) and cover with a mixture of cream of mushroom soup & dried onion soup mix

Quiche (with or without meat) and a nice salad

Baked ziti (we prefer meatless, but either way works)

Smothered round steak with peppers & onions served over rice - or swiss steak

We love breakfast for dinner and you can make a baked french toast the night before that just needs to be reheated. For us this is enough, but it's easy enough to add to- they even sell pre cooked sausage and bacon that they could just heat up. Some melon or other fruit and dinner is served.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:49 PM

120 posts, read 313,262 times
How about frozen family size lasagna, salisbury steak, etc ? All you have to do is heat it up. Make your own garlic bread or Pillsbury dinner rolls. Nobody said you had to make it from scratch did they ? If you have a Boston Market or a good deli in your town you're all set.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:33 PM

As luck would have it, Mexican products were on sale at the grocery store last week, so that made the decision a lot easier. I got both hard taco shells and soft flour tortillas. I included refried beans and ground beef (yes, *I* cooked beef ) for filling them, lettuce/tomato/sour cream for toppings, and then added sides of corn and Mexican rice. It was all delivered to them earlier tonight, so I hope they enjoyed it.

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone -- I really appreciate all the great suggestions!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-30-2011 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: I remembered what they're called! :)

Old 08-30-2011, 10:26 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I'd make them a nice cheese lasagna with fresh herbs and maybe some spinach shredded into the sauce. They won't even miss the meat.
I just made lasagna tonight for the first time using thinly sliced zucchini instead of the lasagna pasta - it's awesome! That's the only thing I did differently, was exchange the thinly sliced zucchini for the lasagna noodles. I will do this from now on!

Old 08-31-2011, 06:40 AM

885 posts, read 1,522,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
As luck would have it, Mexican products were on sale at the grocery store last week, so that made the decision a lot easier. I got both hard taco shells and soft flour tortillas. I included refried beans and ground beef (yes, *I* cooked beef ) for filling them, lettuce/tomato/sour cream for toppings, and then added sides of corn and Mexican rice. It was all delivered to them earlier tonight, so I hope they enjoyed it.

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone -- I really appreciate all the great suggestions!

Great idea, you are a great friend!

These items are good for picking at cold as well, which is a quality I look for in 'emergency' food such as this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink