Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:41 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,720,178 times

Advertisements

This is from 2 weekends ago, but I thought I'd share it with you guys...

Ok, so I got back earlier than expected from D.C. and I was thinking on what to get for dinner on my way home. Halfway up the Jersey Turnpike, my grandma calls and asks me what's for dinner. I told her it was probably going to be Chinese, and I swear I heard her head explode. In her thick Italian accent, she says "whadda you? stunad? It's Sunday! You make a home cook meal, capiche?"

With that, I decided to make baked rigatoni.

First, take a box of Barilla rigatoni (only boil it for about 6 minutes as it needs to stay very al-dente), a good sauce (Barilla or Contidina if you can't make or don't have time to make homemade gravy), about a pound of fresh buffalo milk moozadell (if they don't sell buffalo milk cheese where you live, get a good whole milk cheese that's good and salty), and some ricotta.

Now, to add flavor to the sauce, take about 4 good size pieces of garlic and slice it so thin (think Goodfellas) that it will liquify in a sauté pan with a little bit of olive oil. Once it's liquid pour it in the sauce along with a little bit of ground white pepper, sea salt, and some wine.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o114/eforce02/baked001.jpg (broken link)

Take your casserole dish and coat it with olive oil so the macaroni doesn't stick. Add the sauce and ricotta mix and then top it off by layering the moozadell.

Bake for one hour at 350 degrees, and here is the final product.

Get a good glass of wine, and enjoy!
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o114/eforce02/baked004.jpg (broken link)

P.S. If you play Sinatra the whole time making this, it always comes out better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 06:46 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,882,299 times
Nice, that looks pretty good. Do you use jarred sauce and add the sliced garlic in the olive oil? If so, the only thing I would change would be to make my sauce. That's a good idea to save time though, especially if you have to work all day!

I also add fresh sweet Italian sausage (from a butcher). I cook the sauce and put the sausage in to soak in while it cooks. It has to be sliced relatively small so people don't have to saw it while eating. By the way, I totally agree with Sinatra playing while you cook. That and drinking some wine...ah the Italian culture!

Thanks for sharing it!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:51 PM

Thanks! Unfortunately, I had to use jarred sauce due to time constraints, but yes, I did the garlic and oil then added it as well as the sea salt and pepper.

For meat, I went over to the butcher and got 10 nice pieces of gabagool. and threw it in there for flavor. Sorry for not mentioning that!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:55 PM

21 posts, read 55,272 times
WOW... i love to bake... and i don't mind trying it... i'll keep you posted on what my family said and how good (hopefully) it will come out... thank you very much for your recipe... :-D

Old 09-06-2007, 06:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,882,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Thanks! Unfortunately, I had to use jarred sauce due to time constraints, but yes, I did the garlic and oil then added it as well as the sea salt and pepper.

For meat, I went over to the butcher and got 10 nice pieces of gabagool. and threw it in there for flavor. Sorry for not mentioning that!
Fantastic. I totally understand the time constraint. That's an awesome tip though for making jarred sauce better!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:10 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Looks good. Could you translate gabagool for an Ohio Swede?

Old 09-06-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Looks good. Could you translate gabagool for an Ohio Swede?
lol Capicola. Sorry about that.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:11 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,193,703 times
MMM MMMM that looks SO GOOD right now! Gotta stop skipping dinner and dreaming of pasta dishes at 11:00 at night!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:09 PM

72,423 posts, read 18,208,733 times
Yumm,that looks great! can I come to dinner?

Old 09-06-2007, 10:20 PM

859 posts, read 3,323,099 times
That looks really good, next time I am in Hoboken, can you make me some please? : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink