Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 05:22 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Bacon covered in chocolate and chopped roasted almonds. A really tasty novelty, and a killer. Or, since I made it myself for a lot of people, a suicide bomb.
Holymoly! Sounds good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 05:34 PM

311 posts, read 467,430 times
Default fav. dessert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Oh I love ANY dessert, but here is a cake recipe that is really good:

Bake a Duncan Hines dark chocolate cake mix in a rectangle pan. As soon as it come out of the oven take the eraser end of a NEW pencil and put lots of holes about 2 inches deep all across the top of the whole cake. Then pour a whole jar of Smuckers Caramel ice cream topping over the whole top and let it fill the holes. Then refrigerate the cake and let it completely cool down. Then top it with Cool Whip thickly, like a frosting. Crush 3 Heath bars with a rolling pen and a sandwich bag until fine and sprinkle this all across the top of the cake. Keep the cake refrigerated. It is sooooo good!
I've had this, with vanilla cake I don't usually like Heath bars, but I couldn't stop eating this!!!! SO GOOD. I love desserts, so I can't pick just a few favorites.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Boston cream pie
Tres leches cake in a cup topped with whipped cream
Peanut butter brownies

Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
I eat dessert only maybe 4 or 5 times a year, I dont have a huge sweet tooth. I do like sweets but prefer to save the calories for other things (like great French bread and excellent cheese!)

That said, there is one dessert that I am helpless to resist. When I was in Seattle a few years ago, several people told us that we simply had to try the Triple Coconut Pie at Etta's. We went there and OMG, I have NEVER had something like that before, it is simply out of this world. Rich, dense, creamy, lucious and full of coconut which I adore. I was able to locate the actual recipe and here it is:

Triple Coconut Cream Pie
(Makes one 9-inch pie)
Ingredients:
For The Coconut Pastry Cream

2 cups milk
  • 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
For The Pie
  • One 9-inch Coconut Pie Shell (find the recipe here),
  • prebaked and cooled
  • 2 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For Garnish
  • 2 ounces unsweetened "chip" or large-shred coconut (about 11/2 cups) or sweetened shredded coconut
  • Chunks of white chocolate (4 to 6 ounces, to make 2 ounces of curls)
Instructions

1. To make the pastry cream, combine the milk and coconut in a medium saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add both the seeds and pod to the milk mixture. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and stir occasionally until the mixture almost comes to a boil.

2. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and flour until well combined. Temper the eggs (to keep them from scrambling) by pouring a small amount (about 1/3 Cup) of the scalded milk into the egg mixture while whisking. Then add the warmed egg mixture to the saucepan of milk and coconut. Whisk over medium-high heat until the pastry cream thickens and begins to bubble. Keep whisking until the mixture is very thick, 4 to 5 minutes more. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the butter and whisk until it melts. Remove and discard the vanilla pod. Transfer the pastry cream to a bowl and place it over a bowl of ice water. Stir occasionally until it is cool. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pastry cream to prevent a crust from forming and refrigerate until completely cold. The pastry cream will thicken as it cools.

3. When the pastry cream is cold, fill the prebaked pie shell with it, smoothing the surface. In an electric mixer with the whisk, whip the heavy cream with the sugar and vanilla on medium speed. Gradually increase the speed to high and whip to peaks that are firm enough to hold their shape. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a star tip with the whipped cream and pipe it all over the surface of the pie, or spoon it over.

4. For the garnish, preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the coconut chips on a baking sheet and toast in the oven, watching carefully and stirring once or twice, since coconut burns easily, until lightly browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Use a vegetable peeler to scrape about 2 ounces of the white chocolate into curls.

On The Plate
Cut the pie into 6 to 8 wedges and place on dessert plates. Decorate each wedge of pie with white chocolate curls and the toasted coconut.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:02 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
I like these even thought I'm not overly fond of either chocolate or peanut butter. And for those who like both, these are immediate faves -

Chocolate Peanut Bars

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup peanut butter chips
1 1/4 cups condensed milk
1 cup salted. roasted peanuts, finely chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 11x7 baking pan with cooking spray and line with foil. Coat again with cooking spray.

2. Whisk together flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl. Stir in butter and vanilla extract. Press crust into bottom of pan. Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Cool.

3. Combine chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and condensed milk in saucepan. Melt over low to medium low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and even. Spread chocolate mixture over crust with a spatula. Press peanuts firmly into top of chocolate mixture. Cool to room temperature, then chill until firm. Cut into bars.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:10 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,427 times
There are too many to name.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Could have lived my life quite blissfully without ever knowing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i never really had an interest in tiramisu but 2.5 years ago when my niece was born in manhattan, we ate at this place and they gave us a free piece. it was unreal delicious. we ordered an additional one. so since then i order it pretty regularly, its never been as good as that one but its still pretty yummy.
I will be certainly checking that out!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:49 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
I've gained 5 pounds just reading this thread....

Old 05-10-2012, 03:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Cheesecake.

Cornbread with melted butter and honey.

Flan

When I was a kid, my staple sandwich was wonder bread with cool whip and potatoe chips. I did not eat it as a dessert, but as a meal, but with all that cool whip, it was kind of a dessert.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:10 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Anything that tastes good is bad for you. Even with protein-rich food, lobster and prime rib is bad for you.

Where does the dessert list stop? Being a chocaholic, these would be some bad ones for me, yet I order them anyway:
- chocolate mousse goblet, typically one of the standard dessert offerings after dinner in Portugal
- chocolate mousse pie with chocolate crust
- any cheesecake with marbled chocolate or chocolate chips
- tiramisu

So I'll die a month or two sooner, these are my cigarettes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink