Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:29 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times

Advertisements

I hear alot of people using ground beef for goulash,I grew up eating goulash similar to beef stew but with sour cream added at the end thus calling it hungarian goulash, and using lots of paprika.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 04:48 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,774,915 times
I have used ground beef if I'm making a quick version, but If I'm going all out original I buy the packaged stew meat and make it exactly as Lubby described, Hungarian.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,935 times
Lubby, what my Mama called goulash most people call hoppin' john (basically baked chili with macaroni in it - sometimes topped with bacon). I don't think there was ever anything Hungarian about my Mama's cookin' though. When you mentioned adding sour cream at the end I immediately thought "stroganoff". Maybe part of the problem is just regional names folks call foods - not really knowing what the original dish was. Just thinkin'.....

Old 08-21-2012, 05:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Lubby, what my Mama called goulash most people call hoppin' john (basically baked chili with macaroni in it - sometimes topped with bacon).
Wow, that is the farthest thing from an authentic Hoppin' John I've ever heard of!

Historically Hoppin' John was a traditional West African dish that was adapted to the American South, and although it had many variations, the two acknowledged "must-have" ingredients are considered to be Black-Eyed Peas and Rice.

I never got into the practice of using existing names to label an unrelated new dish. Instead, I have a uniform naming system, consisting of the words "Mongolian Surprise, number... " followed by a random number. So if somebody asked me what an improvised dish was called, I might reply something like "Mongolian Surprise # 74."

Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,935 times
Default Mea Culpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Wow, that is the farthest thing from an authentic Hoppin' John I've ever heard of!

Historically Hoppin' John was a traditional West African dish that was adapted to the American South, and although it had many variations, the two acknowledged "must-have" ingredients are considered to be Black-Eyed Peas and Rice.

I never got into the practice of using existing names to label an unrelated new dish. Instead, I have a uniform naming system, consisting of the words "Mongolian Surprise, number... " followed by a random number. So if somebody asked me what an improvised dish was called, I might reply something like "Mongolian Surprise # 74."

You are absolutely right - apparently I had a huge brain fart.....I was trying to come up with the term and obviously came up with the wrong one.....what I was TRYING to remember was Johnny Marzetti. I got the John(ny) part right, but the hoppin-marzetti part was way off!!!!! I apologize! As Ron White (comedian) said, "I made a mistake one time, ever happen to you?"

Old 08-22-2012, 02:01 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,890,349 times
To me, and most people around here, "goulash" is hamburger, noodles-either elbow or tube, with tomato/spaghetti type sauce and spices. If it has sour cream and any type of "brown" sauce, it's stroganoff.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Any time I buy the cubed meat from the grocery store it's chewy.I'd like to make this next week.
My wife has made beef stew from the leftovers of a slow cooked beef roast for decades.

First you slow cook roast , 1pc. or 2pc, with potatoes and carrots for the first meal. Save the gravy or juices for later.

Next you add peas to the cut up precooked roast and potatoes from earlier in the week to your stew.

Place the cut up food into a pot adding corn starch to make the gravy,slow heat the whole thing for a mouth watering second meal of the precooked beef.

Tip: being precooked the beef will be very easy to cut up.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:02 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
To me, and most people around here, "goulash" is hamburger, noodles-either elbow or tube, with tomato/spaghetti type sauce and spices. If it has sour cream and any type of "brown" sauce, it's stroganoff.
I guess everyone has their own ideas or versions of goulash. Not saying anyone is right or wrong I guess I am only familiar with the type I grew up eating.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:07 PM

74 posts, read 150,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Any time I buy the cubed meat from the grocery store it's chewy.I'd like to make this next week.

If you have a slow cooker put the frozen stew meat in the slow cooker on low all day or overnight. When you are ready to add it to your stew or beef and noodles or whatever dish you are making just dump the entire slow cooker contents into the other dish. The meat will be very tender and the added juice will enhance the flavor of your dish.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:55 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,890,349 times
That's a great idea Wolfette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink