Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times

Advertisements

Although a lot of people seem to do it, based on online comments, food safety experts advise against putting frozen foods in a slow cooker without thawing them first. A restaurant could be cited for a violation by the Public Health Department for doing that. It can create a hazardous condition in which there can be rapid growth of harmful bacteria growth.

Here's one piece that explores the issue a bit more. How to Use a Crockpot 101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 12:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I usually buy a chuck roast or boneless country-style ribs and then cut it into stew meat with a sharp knife. That way, I can remove all the fat and the gristle before I cook it. It's also usually a lot cheaper than buying it already cubed.

You can also cook the cubed meat in a crock pot on low all day, that melts the tough parts and just leaves the meat. It's pretty nice to have dinner all done when you get home, too.
I do the same, especially like to use chuck roast idea and yes, cooking it in the crock is a great way. The slower it is cooked the less likely it is to be chewy...

Old 08-26-2012, 12:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
You can use pretty much any cut; but it will depend on how long you cook it and what receipe you are using.
Me, I use either a chuck or round: but I get my own elk and deer plus home grown beef.

So, you have to buy meat get a chuck roast and cut your own cubes etc, you will save a lot of $$
and use a sharp knife and look on line on how to cut up a boneless chuck. It isn't rocket science.

Folks can save a lot of $$ if they learn how and what meat to use and how to cut it etc.

HW
Isn't that the truth. I can't believe how expensive stew meat and or short ribs are;;$5.00 a lb or there abouts.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:43 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
My wife has made beef stew from the leftovers of a slow cooked beef roast for decades.

First you slow cook roast , 1pc. or 2pc, with potatoes and carrots for the first meal. Save the gravy or juices for later.

Next you add peas to the cut up precooked roast and potatoes from earlier in the week to your stew.

Place the cut up food into a pot adding corn starch to make the gravy,slow heat the whole thing for a mouth watering second meal of the precooked beef.

Tip: being precooked the beef will be very easy to cut up.

My mother called this hash! Best part of the Sunday roast

Old 08-26-2012, 12:45 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
A littlt tip--

If you want to add sour cream to an already hot dish, first, leave the sour cream out of the fridge for at least an hour.

Then, put sour cream in shallow bowl, and slowly add a spoonful at a time of the hot liquid, and stir. then add to the stew. this prevents curdling of the sour cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink