Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,309,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I'd say that's the case for me, since I absolutely couldn't stand ANY curry dishes that I've tried, and curry seems to be a pretty basic Thai flavor.
There you go. To me, the inherent seasonings are both not tasty and too spicy. I find curry disgusting. I like Mexican food so, it's not like I am obtuse or averse to food with "some" kick.
Curry is just a tiny part of Thai cuisine. There are so many more non-curry dishes. While I love curry, there are plenty of others that I love.

My husband's favorite thing to get when we go out is cashew chicken (not the same as the Chinese version). I love Tom Yum soup (wonderfully spicy and flavorful, the best thing to have when you have a cold), Pad Soon Wen (no curry there, and not spicy at all), satay chicken, and beef with oyster sauce. No curry in any of those dishes.

But hey, it doesn't bother me if you don't like it. Everyone has different tastes, and not everyone is going to like what I like.

One thing that I'm wondering though - your harsh opinion of Thai food seems to include a harsh opinion of those who like it. Maybe that's why you lost your lunch buddy? It's one thing not to like certain foods, but to go on about it and put down people who do like it is another altogether. I wouldn't stop eating lunch with someone who didn't like a certain food I liked, but I would stop eating lunch with someone who made a big deal about it, and insulted me in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 12:17 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times
Thai food is my favorite! We have several excellent Thai restaurants near my home. The popularity of Thai food is well deserved. Fresh, healthy, much variety and many vegetarian dishes make Thai a great option for dining or carry out.

And I love it very spicy and hot.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:49 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
I don't really like Thai food either. I like the spicy dishes but only because I like spicy things all around. I put Sriracha sauce on food too. Non spicy Thai food tastes extremely bland to me.

It definitely is a yuppie thing, like sushi was in the 80s before it became really mainstream. Indian cuisine is way better but not as many people eat that because its not quite as fashionable.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:06 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,226,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If you rummage city threads where newcomers ask about an area, it's almost inevitable you will see something like "... and there's this cool little Thai place you should try out."

I dislike Thai food. I've tried it twice. I have no idea how it has become so mainstream. It seems more like it's a cool thing to do. And, no, it's not about it being Thai, because I find Mexican restaurants to have tasty food, provided the level of spiciness doesn't require a fire hydrant. Even the general scent of most Thai restaurants is offputting.

Any others who think Thai food just ISN'T that great?
Me!

I also tried it twice - both at restaurants others raved about. The second time I was part of a group of 12 and we ordered many dishes that we passed around the table, so I don't think it's about not trying enough of it.

I'll pass.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:46 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,054,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Me!

I also tried it twice - both at restaurants others raved about. The second time I was part of a group of 12 and we ordered many dishes that we passed around the table, so I don't think it's about not trying enough of it.

I'll pass.
Good! More for those who love it.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:19 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
What's the deal with Thai food ?!?! It's darn tasty that's what the deal is ! I love it.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:45 PM

My favorite Thai dish has eggolant, peppers, broccoli, mushrooms and lots of basil.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:09 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,765,406 times
I absolutely Adore Thai food. A coworker took me to dinner just last week . Boy, oh boy was it good! Now that I've had it again in such awhile, I'll have to satisfy those taste buds very soon in the near future.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:06 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,056,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It is good but it is more a trendy thing as far as I am concerned. the only difference as I can see, between basic Chinese food and Thia is, thai is a little spicier.. I do love it though...
It might be trendy in some areas....but here in Seattle Thai food has been popular since at least the mid 1980s.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It is good but it is more a trendy thing as far as I am concerned. the only difference as I can see, between basic Chinese food and Thia is, thai is a little spicier.. I do love it though...
Thai has more fresh herbs than Chinese food. I actually think Thai is closer to Indian food than Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink