Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times

Advertisements

Green bean casserole with canned mushroom soup. Gross!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Thanksgiving, for me, is when all the food is merely a delivery system for the rich, home-made gravy...

Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

Dark meat - too game-y. The way we prepare our Butterball (which only cost $15 for a 25 lb bird) the breast is moist and dripping with juice and flavor. Folks - use those meat thermometers for optimal temperature, and TENT AND REST YOUR ROAST FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES. No dry bird - done deal.

Happy thanksgiving everybody!

Gotta disagree. I'm a chef, and I cook an amazing bird. It comes out very moist, everyone loves it. But the white meat still has a texture and flavor different from (and in the opinion of many of us inferior to) dark meat. Different strokes for different folks ... but to assume that people don't like white meat because we don't know how to cook it is ridiculous.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Ahh, yes the green bean casserole. I always want to give it a special place of honor... the trash can.
But candied sweet potatoes are another item I just don't get. I liked mashed sweet potatoes or baked sweet potatoes. They're not a favorite but their health benefits can't be denied and they are good. But to ruin them by putting in marshmallows, bleccchhhhh.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:38 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Pumpkin Pie and Sweet Potatoes. I adore Pumpkin Soup, or roasted Pumpkin but in a pie it makes me feel quite queasy. Sweet Potatoes is OK but I would not go out of my way to eat it.

I have never had green bean casserole which I have seen mentioned a lot on this forum, what is it like ? I adore Green Beans but it sounds like the poor veggies are murdered and overcooked until begginf for mercy ? What goes into a "traditional" green bean casserole ?

Did I just read that people cook Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows ? I think I am about to faint. I detest marshmallows to begin with but why pair them with sweet potatoes, it sounds positively perverted and deviant cooking to me !!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:59 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I have never had green bean casserole which I have seen mentioned a lot on this forum, what is it like ? I adore Green Beans but it sounds like the poor veggies are murdered and overcooked until begginf for mercy ? What goes into a "traditional" green bean casserole ?
The basic, common version is canned green beans, canned cream of mushroom soup, bake it for awhile, then top with French's fried onion strips and bake off until the top is crispy. There are variations off of that, but that is the basic core of it.

Quote:
Did I just read that people cook Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows ? I think I am about to faint. I detest marshmallows to begin with but why pair them with sweet potatoes, it sounds positively perverted and deviant cooking to me !!
Sweet potatoes, often mixed with some kind of syrup or honey to further sweeten them, then baked for a bit, and then topped with marshmellows and baked off until the top is browned. Very common in the south. It does come out SUPER sweet, but I don't think it is that bad actually. I prefer other versions of sweet potatoes to be sure, and don't have this version on MY thanksgiving table, but I don't find it as hideous as some others do.

Then again though, I have a very wide pallete. I can appreciate high end french dining, and as a chef myself can produce it, but my parents grew up literally dirt poor, and although they gave us a great life, they did teach me to appreciate 'poor food' too, so alot of these dishes that many look down on I actually do like.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:03 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I hate the whole Thanksgiving meal - dry turkey, salty ham, stuffing, cranberry jelly, pumpkin anything, sweet potato, pecan pie. Plus I am diabetic and couldn't eat it if I wanted to.

Instead I am having surf and turf (at home) with king crab legs and tenderloin steak, fried okra and dark chcolate!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 AM

27,220 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I hate the whole Thanksgiving meal - dry turkey, salty ham, stuffing, cranberry jelly, pumpkin anything, sweet potato, pecan pie. Plus I am diabetic and couldn't eat it if I wanted to.

Instead I am having surf and turf (at home) with king crab legs and tenderloin steak, fried okra and dark chcolate!
You haven't had my turkey! Try spatchcocking sometime, which is in essence butterflying the turkey by removing the backbone and splitting the breastbone so it lays flat. A 15 pound turkey cooks in around 2 hours and is incredibly moist and delicious, even that "dry white meat". I shellac the whole bird in a Dijon Mustard/Mayonnaise rub with fresh Sage.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:43 AM

987 posts, read 1,386,671 times
That cranberry jelly wiggley looking thing for sure! Everything else is OK, but I'd rather have the king crab legs and tenderloin steak, because I too am diabetic!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
The basic, common version is canned green beans, canned cream of mushroom soup, bake it for awhile, then top with French's fried onion strips and bake off until the top is crispy. There are variations off of that, but that is the basic core of it.

Sweet potatoes, often mixed with some kind of syrup or honey to further sweeten them, then baked for a bit, and then topped with marshmellows and baked off until the top is browned. Very common in the south. It does come out SUPER sweet, but I don't think it is that bad actually. I prefer other versions of sweet potatoes to be sure, and don't have this version on MY thanksgiving table, but I don't find it as hideous as some others do.

Then again though, I have a very wide pallete. I can appreciate high end french dining, and as a chef myself can produce it, but my parents grew up literally dirt poor, and although they gave us a great life, they did teach me to appreciate 'poor food' too, so alot of these dishes that many look down on I actually do like.
Thanks, I learnt something today which is always good !

The green bean casserole like it would not taste at all of green beans at a guess ? I must admit I think it sounds quite horrible, I might like it better made with fresh ingredients but canned vegetables to me are the Devil's acolytes....

The sweet potato thing sounds way, way too sweet for me. I will eat anything anyone puts on a plate for me but marshmallows have always been my nemesis ! I will eat them but I find them disgusting, so add that the already sweetness of the sweet potato and I am in hell !!

I do find a lot of Southern food way too sweet or too "fatty" for my tastes but I suppose it is only a matter of personal taste. I would quite happily eat grubs and love stuff a lot of stuff people would faint at the mention of but mention molasses or treacle to me and I feel a little queasy !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink