Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times

Advertisements

It's your choice....not Breyers...to buy or not to buy. If you enjoy the flavor....buy. If you don't like what Breyers does to make it cheaper, don't buy. Your Choice.

It's also Breyers choice to make cheaper products so that owners or shareholders can continue to earn income on their investments.

After all, they could forget about making a profit. Just close the plants and go out of business. They should not have to say "lookie, we changed the size" for the few that don't have what it takes to see for themselves.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Ya'all need to get a life if you think this is an issue.
The issue is, the quality of ingredients and the package size goes down while the price goes up. It shouldn't take much to see that this is the spirit of the topic here.

Quote:
Buy an ice cream churn too. You'll be needing it.
Thanks, but I already have one.

Quote:
This thread has gone from a (valid) critique of the labeling and packaging used for different product types
...to one of pettiness about the use of a harmless thickener (since 2007 btw) in the one product they make
How, exactly, is it petty? Also, what difference does it make when they actually started? However, if you can happen to get past your own smugness, you'll see that it was already pointed out that this all started years ago.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
I stopped buying Breyers when I noticed the change in consistency. I keep hearing about Blue Bell ice cream on CD, but the only thing similar I have seen around here is Blue Bunny and it is chock full of additives and chemicals.

For anyone pooh-poohing the addition of tara gum you need to ask yourself, do you keep tara gum in your pantry for when you make your own ice cream? Do you even know where to buy tara gum? No? Why is that? Do you know what it is? Did you know that the Peruvians (where this product comes from) use it as an insect killer? Ask yourself this - why would Breyers need to add an ingredient to their 'all natural' ice cream that does not appear in any ice cream recipe anyone has ever seen? And how come they were able to make their all natural ice cream without tara gum back before Unilever bought them out? People need to question why they are being fed trees and tree by-products - we are not talking about the produce like fruits and nuts, but the actual trees themselves.

There are few ice creams commercially available that I buy - I read the ingredients and as long as they are all items I recognize and would myself purchase and incorporate into my home made ice cream, it's ok to go in my shopping cart. Primarily, Haagen Dazs vanilla bean, chocolate, and strawberry.

I'm going to do some investigating on this Blue Bell everyone is raving about here. Is it a regional thing?

Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
The only way Blue Bunny is similar to Blue Bell is in the similar name.

They make lots of delicious flavors, but their most popular is their Homemade Vanilla, which is exactly what it tastes like.

Blue Bell is a Texas company that for many years was only available in Texas, and not even all over Texas. It's now available throughout much of the south and some other regions of the country, I believe. Not sure where else.

Blue Bell Ice Cream

Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,143 times
We only buy Chocholate, so I guess we are fine for now..... But I guess I will have to pay attention, as I didn't even realize they reduced the size. I'm still confused on how you change the size of a half a gallon.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
It's your choice....not Breyers...to buy or not to buy. If you enjoy the flavor....buy. If you don't like what Breyers does to make it cheaper, don't buy. Your Choice.

It's also Breyers choice to make cheaper products so that owners or shareholders can continue to earn income on their investments.

After all, they could forget about making a profit. Just close the plants and go out of business. They should not have to say "lookie, we changed the size" for the few that don't have what it takes to see for themselves.
Caveat Emptor, eh? It's a fantastic philosophical viewpoint that deception is a fair practice for the sake of profit, especially when perpetrated on the loyal or unwitting.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
I had not really paid much attention to the size difference until Blue Bell started advertising that their ice cream was still sold by the half gallon. Since that's the only kind I've bought in forever, I hadn't noticed. But after hearing one of their ads I started paying attention and was surprised to see Bryers, and I believe some others cutting the size as well.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Have you read a Breyer's ice cream label recently?
The container in my freezer now says Milk, Cream, Sugar, Tara Gum, Natural Flavor

A switcheroo like what?

I haven't seen ANYthing beyond personal anecdotes that the Breyers **Ice Cream** I had
last evening is any different than Breyers **Ice Cream** I had 10 years ago or 40 years ago.

These other products the company is selling appear to be **additions* to their product line.
Well now, 40 years ago it would have been a half gallon and I'm pretty sure it didn't have Tara Gum and "Natural Flavor" but probably a truly recognizable flavoring like vanilla. The commercials I remember when I was a kid (probably from the 1980s) touted Milk, Cream, Sugar, Strawberries (for example) with the kid reading it whereas the kid couldn't read Polysorbate 80 in some other crappy ice cream. Remember those?

As for switcheroo, I was specifically referring to what is explained in the blog post linked from the first post of this thread. That happens to describe a change to the product, yes one that may be specific only to ***some*** flavors, but it appears to be a direct change in formulation to the Vanilla Fudge Twirl flavor, not an addition. Of course if by addition you mean Vanilla Fudge Twirl didn't exist in the product line ***40 years ago***, you might be right.

For vanilla if I don't make my own (which I haven't for a few months) I get Haagen-Dazs. In what is now a 14oz not-quite-a-pint. Or, if I need more, Turkey Hill all natural line. Ingredients in that one: cream, milk, sugar, vanilla. They seem to be expanding this line which is a good thing. Although, mostly, if I go for something with a lot of chunky stuff in it, I don't care as much about every little ingredient and might just get Ben & Jerry's instead (which like Breyer's is also Unilever wrecking things). I like Vanilla Heath Bar Crunch for example.

Some of this is preference though rather than an absolute higher/lower quality thing. I generally prefer to have less gums/stabilizers/whatever in ice cream, especially a plain one like vanilla, but even super gourmet ice cream people will sometimes add extra ingredients to facilitate better creamy mouthfeel, etc, etc. Tests apparently show that a lot of people won't care and of course they'll save money if they put stuff other than just milk and cream.

Main point though is with this or any other product that you buy you do need to watch out for changes in formulation (or packaging size) that MAY affect whether you would choose to continue buying it. A fair number of people are susceptible to buying the same brand name as 20, 30, 40 years ago assuming the product is the same when it isn't.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Some of this is preference though rather than an absolute higher/lower quality thing. I generally prefer to have less gums/stabilizers/whatever in ice cream, especially a plain one like vanilla, but even super gourmet ice cream people will sometimes add extra ingredients to facilitate better creamy mouthfeel, etc, etc. Tests apparently show that a lot of people won't care and of course they'll save money if they put stuff other than just milk and cream.
One thing that makes homemade ice cream have a creamier mouthfeel is adding a little bit of liquor, helps it not freeze as hard.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:08 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Ya'all need to get a life if you think this is an issue.
Buy an ice cream churn too. You'll be needing it.

This thread has gone from a (valid) critique of the labeling and packaging used for different product types
...to one of pettiness about the use of a harmless thickener (since 2007 btw) in the one product they make
that is STILL actually the product the OP tried to infer didn't exist at all.

What Is Tara Gum?
Caesalpinia spinosa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Does Any Company Still Make All-Natural Ice Cream?
I don't like cheap, fluffy ice cream. That's what Bryers has become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.