Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:11 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,860,573 times

Advertisements

This is excellent information, "9 Super Healthy Vegetarian Protein Sources."

vegetarian protein sources | 9 Super-Healthy, Vegetarian Protein Sources | Rodale News

Reducing (or completely eliminating) the amount of meat in your diet is good for your health, your grocery budget and the planet too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 12:02 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
I'm cutting it down for both reasons.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
When I eat meat, I'd rather eat healthier meat (i.e. grass fed beef) so I eat it less frequently now than in the past.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
I love meat but I am quite fussy about quality and provenance so decided a long time ago to cut down and eat a lot less of it but be happier with what I bought.

I prefer to have meat which is reared humanely ( and fish from sustainable sources) and will pay more for less so to speak. I suppose it is healthier as well which is a bonus !

I am lucky my supermarket has high standards when it comes to meat but to be honest I do try as much as possible to buy from local farm shops wherever possible.

Last week I was given a brace of Pheasants by a chap (who got it from a local hunter) but could not be bothered to pluck and gut it which was great. I had not gutted nor plucked a game bird for a very long time but how could anyone refuse fresh Pheasant ?!?!

I eat quite a lot of fish and seafood, my most commonly eaten meat is probably free range chicken but I am a real sucker for Game and good Grass Fed Beef. I just don't eat it that much that is all....

But the wait is worth it if the quality is high !

Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I love meat but I am quite fussy about quality and provenance so decided a long time ago to cut down and eat a lot less of it but be happier with what I bought.

I prefer to have meat which is reared humanely ( and fish from sustainable sources) and will pay more for less so to speak. I suppose it is healthier as well which is a bonus !

I am lucky my supermarket has high standards when it comes to meat but to be honest I do try as much as possible to buy from local farm shops wherever possible.

Last week I was given a brace of Pheasants by a chap (who got it from a local hunter) but could not be bothered to pluck and gut it which was great. I had not gutted nor plucked a game bird for a very long time but how could anyone refuse fresh Pheasant ?!?!

I eat quite a lot of fish and seafood, my most commonly eaten meat is probably free range chicken but I am a real sucker for Game and good Grass Fed Beef. I just don't eat it that much that is all....

But the wait is worth it if the quality is high !
Yum, fresh pheasant. Over the years we've switched from store bought beef to more venison and other meats I obtain by hunting and fishing. Store bought game is extremely expensive too.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:13 PM

709 posts, read 955,775 times
Nope
For the last 5 years I had been cutting down on my protein as my kidneys shut down.
Now that they have shut down and I am on dialysis, I am increasing my meat intake. Yay for me!

Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
I have just cut back, and i don't know why. I guess health reasons more than anything. We still have meat almost everynight, just a lot less than in previous years. I noticed the other night, when we had company, only 2 people took 2 pieces of pork and it was really good. I guess we are all adjusting our eating habits is one way or the other. I know I could never be a vegetarian though, meat is too much a part of my world, that and my wine. Which, speaking of wine, it is almost that time...

Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,715,840 times
I think emerging science is showing that meat is the last thing we should be cutting out. Less bread and sugary fruits like oranges and bananas! Those eskimos have very low incidents of heart disease and they have no fruit or vegetables to eat!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 PM

17,402 posts, read 16,547,378 times
We've been eating more fish/shellfish - twice a week. Otherwise we have chicken a few times a week and alternate the other days with turkey, beef, pork. I'd be o.k. making one of those days strictly vegetarian but I'm thinking that there might be protests from the menfolk in the family - lol.

The biggest thing that I've cut out of my own diet is starchy/sugary carbs.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
I stopped going to restaurants,,,but eat plenty of meat at home,,
last night we had lamb!! delicious!!

tonight I had pork roast!!

I consider meat part of a healthy diet.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink