Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2017, 01:23 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBangShrimp View Post
All these cooking tips just make me realize that I can't cook.
Anybody can cook. Just start out with simple things, follow the recipe exactly and be patient with yourself. Also Google and Youtube are your friends. Not to mention cooking shows on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 12:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
You might also like using instant espresso.
This product also adds depth of flavor to chocolate baked goods. If I am baking something that kids will eat, I add a little decaf powder instead. It isn't the same, but even regular instant coffee powder adds some flavor depth to chocolate.

I have a chocolate cookie recipe that calls for instant espresso powder.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
These two are tied for my best.

1) Prick a tiny hole in an egg before boiling it. You can then drop the cold egg into boiling water with virtually no fear of cracking.

2) When making a gravy or sauce, heat the liquid to almost boiling, then add it all at once. This prevents lumping. If it's necessary to add more, it's not necessary to heat that liquid. The first meeting of roux and hot liquid will have taken care of the problem.

Be sure to cook the roux at boiling temperature for at least three minutes to remove the floury taste.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:32 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Marcella Hazan preached the gospel of not being so married to a shopping list that you can't adjust your menu when a key ingredient isn't available. I took this seriously and learned to plan menus at the store, on the fly, with the best, freshest, and often least expensive ingredients possible.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:12 AM

939 posts, read 788,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Don't use a slurry of flour and water, brown your flour with butter and make a roux. Learned that from a cooking show, (Alton Brown - Good Eats) and my gravy has never, EVER failed me. Thank you Alton.

Not to mention that Alton specializes in showing viewers how to make real food and the scientific reasons behind what's occurring in the pot/pan/oven. No froo-froo cooking that no real guy would ever bother to make.

Sorry Barefoot Contessa.
Ha!

Alton and Ina were two of my favorite Food Network shows!

I liked his Good Eats series for the bold text.

I was there to get as much cooking info as possible, and though he had some funny filler bits sprinkled throughout the show, for me, they weren't required, and would have liked more info or an additional recipe instead.

That aside, if I had more teachers like him in school however, I probably would have gotten better grades!

Also, he incorporated some very punny names for episode titles.

Ina may drop to third, with the advent of Fieri's Drive-Ins, And Dives, and Guy's Big Bite.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
Ha!

Alton and Ina were two of my favorite Food Network shows!

I liked his Good Eats series for the bold text.

I was there to get as much cooking info as possible, and though he had some funny filler bits sprinkled throughout the show, for me, they weren't required, and would have liked more info or an additional recipe instead.

That aside, if I had more teachers like him in school however, I probably would have gotten better grades!

Also, he incorporated some very punny names for episode titles.

Ina may drop to third, with the advent of Fieri's Drive-Ins, And Dives, and Guy's Big Bite.
I always liked Alton Brown's Good Eats show. Aren't they accessible on YouTube now?

Old 09-03-2017, 01:01 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I always liked Alton Brown's Good Eats show. Aren't they accessible on YouTube now?
You can watch the episodes online:

Good Eats Episodes | Good Eats | Food Network

Old 09-03-2017, 01:03 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Cook the rice in broth or bouillon rather than plain water.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:25 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Wait until the oil is heated before cooking eggs

Also putting the lime in everything. Even meat or fish can be greatly improved with a lil bit of lime

Old 09-03-2017, 03:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Best tip: cook in bulk and freeze. Over one weekend, you can make a month worth of food. Home cooked meals everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink