Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 06:16 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,051,664 times

Advertisements

VP - I'm sorry to see that you've had such trouble. Given all the worries about identity theft, I think you did absolutely the right thing cancelling all the cards. It will be inconvenient for a week or so, but certainly better than if someone starting using them inappropriately.

If you have any automatic payments that go right to the credit card, remember to contact those companies and alert them that there will be a new card number coming soon. You don't want to bounce any payments in the interim.

Good luck.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:35 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,170,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
VP - I'm sorry to see that you've had such trouble. Given all the worries about identity theft, I think you did absolutely the right thing cancelling all the cards. It will be inconvenient for a week or so, but certainly better than if someone starting using them inappropriately.

If you have any automatic payments that go right to the credit card, remember to contact those companies and alert them that there will be a new card number coming soon. You don't want to bounce any payments in the interim.

Good luck.
You're right Charley! I've been trying to think about if I have any automatic payments but I don't think so. I pay everything myself directly every month.

I'm going away this Friday and I won't have my debit card available so I'll have to go to the bank tomorrow and just get some cash (which I hate to carry). I do have a few other cc at home so I'm not totally up the creek.

Funny thing......I have a gazillion cards and only use 3 and I don't carry balances.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
As I read this.....you met the good samaritan.....am I missing something or didnt he go above and beyond to help you out! I think you met a very honest gentleman.
Elston, if you think about the glass half-full, yes, you're absolutely right and it could have been much worse.

First it was my fault and I could have bought a pack of cigarettes when I realized what happened, if I had had $4.00 in my pocket. That's how frantic I felt.

BUT........why did he take the bag home? Why did they search everything and only kept the cash and a nice, expensive wallet? There are about 3 zippers inside the bag.....all closed, empty. I never zip those up.

The man knows where I live AND, I live in Miami. I don't put anything past anybody here. He could have just copied all my credit card numbers and have a good time shopping on line.

I agree. I was VERY lucky but I'd rather be safe than sorry too.

One more thing I had to add and I think this is what makes me very dubious that the man is as good as he SEEMED. I had a $2.00 bill folded really tiny and put inside my checkbook cover. That is gone too. So he searched and just kept what was more useful.

Yeah, I know I can't REALLY complain too much but I guess I have to vent too.

Last edited by vpcats; 11-23-2008 at 06:55 PM..

Old 11-23-2008, 06:41 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,204,852 times
Wow Vpcats that is scary. I always tie my purse handle around the shopping cart handle so it can't be snatched out of the cart. If I don't have a shoulder strap purse I keep an old thick shoe lace in it to tie with. You are very lucky the guy returned to you what you do have now.

We had NY strip steaks with saute' mushrooms & onions along with the potato salad. It was good smelling while cooking and good tasting being chewed and swallowed I tell ya.
//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...-recipe-3.html

My oldest stopped by (gee he is timing that perfectly here lately huh?) he took a bowl of potato salad to go.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Wow, VP, and I was going to tell you about my honey ham for dinner!!!

I had my purse stolen a couple of years ago - from my car while I was loading up the trunk at the mall with my driver side door open. Dumb, dumb, dumb!

I cancelled all of my cards, but never gave a thought to someone having my keys - and, my address from my driver's license and a break-in. It's too late to change my locks NOW! I don't live there anymore!!!

I am really sorry that this happened to you, VP. It is a terrible invasion and insult to someone to have such personal things snatched away in just a few minutes. I hope they catch whoever it was when they try to use one of your cards.

Very smart thinking about the house and car keys. I would get locks on them both changed - and, use that alarm tonight, please!!

Agh, the ham was ok.
It was not snatched. I'm the dummy that left it in the cart and drove off. The guy could have returned it to Customer Service at the store though. Who knows if that would have been better or worse.

I have to be grateful that things worked out the way they did and not worse.

Last edited by vpcats; 11-23-2008 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: correction to clarify it was not snatched

Old 11-23-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Wow Vpcats that is scary. I always tie my purse handle around the shopping cart handle so it can't be snatched out of the cart. If I don't have a shoulder strap purse I keep an old thick shoe lace in it to tie with. You are very lucky the guy returned to you what you do have now.

We had NY strip steaks with saute' mushrooms & onions along with the potato salad. It was good smelling while cooking and good tasting being chewed and swallowed I tell ya.
//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...-recipe-3.html

My oldest stopped by (gee he is timing that perfectly here lately huh?) he took a bowl of potato salad to go.
I think I'm getting a backpack or just one of those pouches that you hang around your waist. My head is in la-la land lately it seems.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:48 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,750,559 times
VP what a pain for you but lucky that someone nice helped you out. I would let your bank and credit card company know you are away and where you are going so they will approve your purchases where you are. I traveled once after my ATM/Debit was stolen and when I went to use it I was denied because they didn't think I was me.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:28 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,143,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I think I'm getting a backpack or just one of those pouches that you hang around your waist. My head is in la-la land lately it seems.
Those small over the shoulder bags are a great idea, VP. I used one on our last vacation and loved it. Room for a comb, lipstick, tissue, few bucks, license and credit card. What else does a girl need for the day?

I am really sorry that this happened to you. I hate to see how easy it is to be vulnerable. Any of us would have seen the purse and turned it in to the store manager. Who would think there would be a cad lurking there that would make off with your wallet in a matter of minutes?

We all have days when we are in La-la Land. It was some dishonest, bold so-and-so who put his hand in your purse - nothing you did wrong at all.

Crazyworld, great idea about being sure that VP will have some access to her funds while away. Maybe traveler's checks or a pre-loaded Visa card for the next month.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:29 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,302,607 times
So sorry VP!

We had fresh appaloosa catfish, fried outside on the patio over an open flame. Hushpuppies to die for. Homemade coleslaw that was the best, if I do say so myself (shhh, secret to doin it right!) Sweet tea and fresh lemons out of the back yard!

Pinch me! I must be dreamin!

Old 11-23-2008, 07:39 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,143,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Elston, if you think about the glass half-full, yes, you're absolutely right and it could have been much worse.

First it was my fault and I could have bought a pack of cigarettes when I realized what happened, if I had had $4.00 in my pocket. That's how frantic I felt.

BUT........why did he take the bag home? Why did they search everything and only kept the cash and a nice, expensive wallet? There are about 3 zippers inside the bag.....all closed, empty. I never zip those up.

The man knows where I live AND, I live in Miami. I don't put anything past anybody here. He could have just copied all my credit card numbers and have a good time shopping on line.

I agree. I was VERY lucky but I'd rather be safe than sorry too.

One more thing I had to add and I think this is what makes me very dubious that the man is as good as he SEEMED. I had a $2.00 bill folded really tiny and put inside my checkbook cover. That is gone too. So he searched and just kept what was more useful.

Yeah, I know I can't REALLY complain too much but I guess I have to vent too.
Gosh, VP. I had just assumed that someone walked by the cart, took your wallet out and then this man saw the ransacked purse there in the cart. It never dawned on me that the man returning the purse would have been the thief as well!!

I guess I am more gullible than I thought. What rock do these kind of people crawl out from under???

Last edited by gemkeeper; 11-23-2008 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Sorry I am so off topic w/out mentioning food! Scallions. ;)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink