Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 07:08 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times

Advertisements

Good morning, everybody.

My, what wonderful deals there were at the market this weekend! I went to Sprout's and Kroger. Sprout's advertised 69 cent celery but they were sold out! I never heard of selling out of celery before. Say that three times fast.

My mom and I were just sharing our (very) similar recipes for Ham Fried Rice with peanuts so I got the jonesing to make it. That's what's for dinner tonight.
It's a one disher - has your protein, carbs, and tons of veggies. Now if only I could get DH to like brown rice....

Old 11-24-2008, 07:57 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,624 times
Got the dress rehearsal for my school's dance recital after work, so it is leftover enchiladas and Spanish rice for me when I get home from that. Just a two day work week!! WOO HOO!!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:04 AM

601 posts, read 1,904,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm back to the boards again and ready for one of the biggest foodie weeks all year. Heart doc said absolutely not to fixing my shoulder until middle of next year so I guess I'll toss that funk out the window,take another pill and toodle around here keeping busy and "digesting" everyones recipes! This place can be GREAT mental therapy

Ok, yesterday afternoon I got a burr under my behind and made pistachio tuelies, a real,real thin cookie. I've found when bored or bothered the best thing to do is bake, the bad part is I only have so much counter space to hold the results of my "therapy"
Last night was nachos using up some carnitas and borracho beans I'd frozen and tonight will most likely be bbq hamburgers.
Planning on smoking a 20lb turkey on thursday so I have to start soaking it in brine tomorrow. The interesting thing will be if it snows as it's supposed to or if it'll be like it is now (clear and 18 degrees) but no matter, I've bbq'd in blizzards before (I remember one particularly nasty new years doing a brisket) so all is good.
My son the chef to be is supposed to make 2 of our pies in class this week so all I've got to do is an apple/raspberry slab pie, though we need to get our rum balls started for christmas packages so they'll be able to give everyone that christmas "glow"....

I do have a question, has anyone here done the culinary tour of Pikes market in Seattle? I understand it's 2 hours and lots of tasting and I was just wondering if it's worth it

Pike's Market is worth every minute of it. So much to see , you can't see it all! Go hungry.......lots of wonderful food. We have been in the Seattle area since July.....great entertainmant abounds.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:04 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
Morning all foodies must not be the only ones busy because my settings box usually has a ton of threads to read but not today.

jimj bummer on the bummed shoulder but I like your 'therapy' attitude!

CheyDEE said "We still have the doors and ceiling fans on, but it hasn't dropped lower than 68 degrees inside the house at night." I am sure happy you still have your doors on girl! No telling what kind of critters would just me waltzing into your house. Thanks for my morning chuckle.

Cyn feel better soon so you can enjoy the big T day. I get my flu shot Wed I have never had trouble before with it hope I don't this year.

southbound did your hostess send you home with a goodie bag?

Debsi we are selling out of white potatoes in 2 stores around me! Never in my life I have witnessed this happening and it has been going on for 2 weeks now. Lean your head to the side I will chuck ya some celery!

I told my familiy last night that we will eat leftovers, canned soups, PBJ's this week so nothing exciting to report for supper tonight sorry. Have to keep that fridge ready you know. Once the big dinner is over then it will time to shift into operation cookies, candies and baking mode.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:19 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Good morning everyone. I just finsihed writing and posting my weekly story and I have a killer headache that I've had since last night. I will try to catch up later.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Lisa

Old 11-24-2008, 09:31 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Good morning everyone. I just finsihed writing and posting my weekly story and I have a killer headache that I've had since last night. I will try to catch up later.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Lisa
Hope you can kick the headache soon Lisa. I could bring you up to date on the latest BOGO but you would kick me. That's how good they where this week.

Cyn, get over you ills too. We need our leader going strong on here. For me I headed to the kitchen to get some ideas of what we might have. Bummer of a weekend with wife on call. Shopping go done but no advanced cooking as planned. Not even a pie. So brownies yet either. I did get a chocolate bar to carry be for a day or two. I'll see what the day brings and let everyone know when it happens Those driving on bad road ways please be careful.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:03 AM

849 posts, read 1,953,533 times
I'm getting a late start here. I have so much to do and so little time!!! I am now in the process of cleaning the oven, pantry, freezer, fridge, then the whole kitchen in preparation for the Thanks Giving. I still have to catch up with my laundry. Some Ebay things I need to send out. And we have 5 one-week-old puppies that I keep on checking on. Mom doggie is doing a great job, but I just can't help it! We were not going to breed or anything, but mom doggie was a stray that we could not find the owner and by the time we found out she was not spayed, it was too late. She is a mini-pin. Papa doggie is our mini Dachshund, who we did not neuter because a friend of mine who also have a mini Dachshund wanted to breed them. So we have, Ahem, Weiner-pinchers! They are so cute!!!

Anyhoo, our dinner last night was BBQ spareribs that I cooked in my pressure cooker then finished up in the oven. For sauce, I had some jars of sauces I wanted to use up, so I mixed some hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, honey, sake, coke, Garlic-chili sauce. I cooked my ribs in the sauce then after I removed the ribs, I cooked it down to glaze the ribs in the oven. It turned out very good. I made some pasta salad and roasted red potatoes to go with it.

I am thinking meatloaf for tonight. Maybe.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:11 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
I'm getting a late start here. I have so much to do and so little time!!! I am now in the process of cleaning the oven, pantry, freezer, fridge, then the whole kitchen in preparation for the Thanks Giving. I still have to catch up with my laundry. Some Ebay things I need to send out. And we have 5 one-week-old puppies that I keep on checking on. Mom doggie is doing a great job, but I just can't help it! We were not going to breed or anything, but mom doggie was a stray that we could not find the owner and by the time we found out she was not spayed, it was too late. She is a mini-pin. Papa doggie is our mini Dachshund, who we did not neuter because a friend of mine who also have a mini Dachshund wanted to breed them. So we have, Ahem, Weiner-pinchers! They are so cute!!!

Anyhoo, our dinner last night was BBQ spareribs that I cooked in my pressure cooker then finished up in the oven. For sauce, I had some jars of sauces I wanted to use up, so I mixed some hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, honey, sake, coke, Garlic-chili sauce. I cooked my ribs in the sauce then after I removed the ribs, I cooked it down to glaze the ribs in the oven. It turned out very good. I made some pasta salad and roasted red potatoes to go with it.

I am thinking meatloaf for tonight. Maybe.
That is so funny...Weiner-Pinchers! I am still laughing. I'll bet they are the so cute! A great share! Thanks. Made a big smile on my face today!

Old 11-24-2008, 10:36 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
Have to agree with cyn nikkzone that was pretty funny!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
How cute!!!!!

Just back from store for last minutes and wow-busy and glad I don't have to go back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink