Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:43 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times

Advertisements

We were taught in school that meat had to be cooked through. Steak tastes great cooked medium well done and it is not dried out either. If someone is drying it out, then they probably don't know how to cook or they used a cheap cut of meat that needed to be stewed. Chicken should never be eaten if it's pink inside but I guess they don't teach that in school anymore either.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
fibonacci -

With all due respect, who cares what you think? Paying customers are allowed to have whatever bad taste they want. To me, sugar in a cup of coffee renders it undrinkable. Is somebody who thinks it it improves the taste a "complete dumbass?" Of course not. They like what they like. I don't have to. Just because the coffee is ruined, to me, doesn't mean it is to them, and they can have their food and drink however they like.

I cannot say that I have ever worried that "a chef is laughing at me." Although I don't eat my steak well done, but if I did, I STILL wouldn't worry that "a chef is laughing at me." If I'm eating my meat burned to a crisp, I also likely don't care if it's a piece of crap cut, either...so, oooh, you showed me.

Your toilet paper example is misplaced. That's about somebody wanting a discount that doesn't apply. This is about food preparation preferences. And someone screaming in your face is acting abusively toward you. Someone telling you that they would like their steak cooked through, with no pink, no red, no juices whatsoever is NOT behaving abusively toward you. I never said the customer is always right. I said that someone paying for food to be prepared for them should have the right to specify how they'd like it prepared. It's not ripping you off in any way. It might be bruising your "I know best" ego, if somebody legitimately doesn't care whether or not you know best, they just care about getting food they are paying for made the way they prefer it. But that's really neither here nor there.

You clearly have your own ideas about the role of the person preparing the food, and that's fine, but it doesn't make anybody else a dumbass for having preferences in how the food they have purchased and are paying to have prepared is prepared.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:46 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
fibonacci -

With all due respect, who cares what you think? Paying customers are allowed to have whatever bad taste they want. To me, sugar in a cup of coffee renders it undrinkable. Is somebody who thinks it it improves the taste a "complete dumbass?" Of course not. They like what they like. I don't have to. Just because the coffee is ruined, to me, doesn't mean it is to them, and they can have their food and drink however they like.

I cannot say that I have ever worried that "a chef is laughing at me." Although I don't eat my steak well done, but if I did, I STILL wouldn't worry that "a chef is laughing at me." If I'm eating my meat burned to a crisp, I also likely don't care if it's a piece of crap cut, either...so, oooh, you showed me.

Your toilet paper example is misplaced. That's about somebody wanting a discount that doesn't apply. This is about food preparation preferences. I never said the customer is always right. I said that someone paying for food to be prepared for them should have the right to specify how they'd like it prepared. It's not ripping you off in any way. It might be bruising your "I know best" ego, if somebody legitimately doesn't care whether or not you know best, they just care about getting food they are paying for made the way they prefer it. But that's really neither here nor there.

You clearly have your own ideas about the role of the person preparing the food, and that's fine, but it doesn't make anybody else a dumbass for having preferences in how the food they have purchased and are paying to have prepared is prepared.

And with all this carping, like I said, the customer WILL get served. Just realize anyone that orders a well done steak will absolutely get the worst and oldest cuts of meat.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:48 PM

And people who like their steak incinerated? Aren't likely to care. Win-win.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:49 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
And people who like their steak incinerated? Aren't likely to care. Win-win.
True, a sucker is born every minute.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:50 PM

And, obviously, this hurts no one.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:02 PM

500 posts, read 376,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Beat me to it. It's NOT blood!
Well, pass me a big ol' glass of myoglobin, then. Shaken, not stirred.

Yuk! I wouldn't drink it and I won't eat it.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 PM

500 posts, read 376,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
And for those uber-talented chefs out there, perhaps it says something about your talent that you cannot cook a steak well done without it tasting like shoe leather. You can overcook a well done steak, you know.
I've been saying that for years. If someone doesn't know how to cook a steak well done and have it be tasty and tender, that person isn't a very good cook.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:38 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
People can order to their preference all they want, and yes they will absolutely get served. That doesn't mean they are right. Well done meat sucks. Period. Just know that in the back, the chefs are either all laughing at the idiots that order well done meats or are pissed off about it and given them the worst pieces of meat they have in stock. That's the way it is.

In bold is a part I would disagree with. They are certainly held in disdain for their lack of a pallate, but chefs, at least head chefs and restaraunteurs love people who order food well done. Food cost is so important, and people ordering incinerated steaks allows a restaraunt to get rid of crappy and/or older cuts that couldn't be given to someone ordering a properly prepared steak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison View Post
Well, pass me a big ol' glass of myoglobin, then. Shaken, not stirred.

Yuk! I wouldn't drink it and I won't eat it.
A properly cooked steak doesn't give off that pool of myoglobin either. You sear and cook your steak to medium rare, properly rest it and then there is absolutely no juice pooled on the plate, but the steak is so much more vastly flavorful and tasty it is not even funny.

Just like some of you fans of shoe leather keep trying to say that a properly prepared well done steak is not tough, a properly cooked medium rare or even bleu steak leaves no juice pooling either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison View Post
I've been saying that for years. If someone doesn't know how to cook a steak well done and have it be tasty and tender, that person isn't a very good cook.
Yes, a properly cooked well done steak is much more tender and tasty than a horrible-home-cooked-incinerated-shoe-leather steak. But it still has not even a tiny portion of the flavor and tenderness of a properly medium rare steak.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:42 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
...Chicken should never be eaten if it's pink inside but I guess they don't teach that in school anymore either.
Who said anything about pink chicken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink