Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 09:35 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times

Advertisements

Whatever happened to each their own? If you like your stake well done, so be it. Who are you harming? If you like your steak bloody, so be it. Who are you harming?

Its a personal decision based upon what tastes best for YOU. Not me...

Old 05-15-2013, 03:38 AM

90 posts, read 385,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
I find it sickening to ruin a good steak by cooking it to the consistency of a car tire. Yuck.

I want my steak to be pink inside and I certainly don't care if there is "blood" oozing out of it. That's the way steak is meant to be cooked, regardless of people's preferences. Just because some people (who likely know nothing about meat) like their steaks to be rubber doesn't make it alright. They prefer to eat junk just so they don't see any meat texture inside? Sorry but it is a meat product and if someone can't hack it, well that is too bad. Maybe those people should become vegetarian.

When I cook my steaks at home, they are almost red on the inside and oozing juice. That is the correct way of doing it.

Tell you what, when you can walk across the water and hand deliver that steak to me, I'll eat it any way you want. Until then...

Old 05-15-2013, 04:46 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are completely right, but I think this all started with the OPs attitude, indicating people who choose to eat their meat even med have a screw loose. Of course he didn't say that, but between the lines most of us read it this way. Truthfully it was a post that would obviously cause some heated debate. Maybe if the OP had simply asked how most of us eat our meat and why, there debate would have gone a little differently.
How in the world did you interpret my post in that way? I asked why chefs insist the only way to properly prepare meat is rare. I also asked why they didn't take people's personal preference in account, and gave my reasons for disliking rare meat. There is no need to read between the lines....obviously you have some reading comprehension issues when you do.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Responding to the original post, I too watch Chopped and wonder why the judges always comment on that. And each time they say it's a bit too rare or too well done, the chef in question will say that's how they like it. Sounds like they need to find out what the judges like and cook it to order to be properly judged.

As for preferences, I agree that it isn't anyone's business in how people eat their steaks. But I have been in steakhouses with a friend that prefers well done. And a few times she was declined and was told to pick something else from the menu. Nicely though but still a firm refusal to cook their steaks well. I was surprised the first time and we left. The latter two times we stayed and she ordered something else.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:45 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Responding to the original post, I too watch Chopped and wonder why the judges always comment on that. And each time they say it's a bit too rare or too well done, the chef in question will say that's how they like it. Sounds like they need to find out what the judges like and cook it to order to be properly judged.
When a contestant says "that's how I like it" 9 times out of 10 that is their feeble excuse. There are obviously differences of preference - actually many chefs love a steak bleu - but the generally accepted "appropriate" temperature to cook a steak is med rare. When the judges are judging like that, they are judging if it is appropriately med rare or not.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:58 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
There's a difference between cooking for a judged competition with set parameters, and cooking for personal taste.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:05 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
There's a difference between cooking for a judged competition with set parameters, and cooking for personal taste.
I hadn't realized that the chopped judges' parameters are medium rare. Interesting!

Old 05-15-2013, 01:37 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I hadn't realized that the chopped judges' parameters are medium rare. Interesting!
As I said, that is standard, widely accepted proper cooking for steak in the cullinary world. Of course there is understanding of personal taste that varies from person to person. Many chefs even prefer bleu (though very few prefer it beyond med rare). But when discussing appropriate cooking, and when judging in competitions, med rare is what is expected.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
How in the world did you interpret my post in that way? I asked why chefs insist the only way to properly prepare meat is rare. I also asked why they didn't take people's personal preference in account, and gave my reasons for disliking rare meat. There is no need to read between the lines....obviously you have some reading comprehension issues when you do.
Maybe not your original statement, but since then, you seem to make it clear, well done should be accepted by everyone. But, the issue really is, how do you like your meat and everyone has his/her own idea, no one way is right for everyone. Now I do apologize to you, even if I do think you were indicating there is only one way to eat meat. I might have read between the lines, but I am not sure that calls for judging someone's reading comprehension. Maybe comments like that are where I got the idea you might a little judgmental.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Nothing wrong with it, it's just that cooking the meat til it's 'well done' tends to evaporate all those flavour-packed juices. As a kid I used to be squeamish about what I thought was blood and wanted it well done. Gradually, I ordered slightly rarer steak, and now I prefer medium. Actually for me too rare also isn't as flavoursome, I find medium is rare enough for me and has that charred texture. But as others have said I really don't like dry, tough, chewy meat. Knowing the red stuff isn't blood makes it easier too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink