Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 04:05 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times

Advertisements

With all the problems China has with rice and tea contaminated with heavy metals due to pervasive and awful pollution due to unfettered capitalism, why would anyone trust garlic from China? However, if you go to the grocery store these days, many times it can be very difficult to find garlic that ISN'T from China. What gives?

Written in '07, this situation has only seemed to get worse:

U.S. Growers Say China's Grip on Garlic Stinks : NPR

When it comes to food, I definitely buy American as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 04:35 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Thanks for the post - it never crossed my mind that garlic is coming from China - I assumed it was all local.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:55 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
I see Spice World brand minced garlic in a jar grows their own in California. Hopefully they're not shooting themselves in the foot and mixing cheaper Chinese in with theirs. I would not knowingly buy any food item from China. I certainly won't consume any either. Unfortunately, our government provides us with little to no information as to the origins of our foods. Pitiful in a country like the U.S.!

Old 05-27-2013, 05:11 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I see Spice World brand minced garlic in a jar grows their own in California. Hopefully they're not shooting themselves in the foot and mixing cheaper Chinese in with theirs. I would not knowingly buy any food item from China. I certainly won't consume any either. Unfortunately, our government provides us with little to no information as to the origins of our foods. Pitiful in a country like the U.S.!
Phew!
I've been using the Spice World jarred garlic and just checked the label.. I hope they are telling the truth. Mind you they do not specifically state their garlic is US-grown; it's simply implied:

California grown garlic bursting with flavor | Spice World

Sadly you are correct - medications, herbs, spices, vitamins, additives and of course all things electronic are guaranteed to have Chinese-made ingredients that don't have to be disclosed.

Just for schmit's sake I submitted an enquiry to Spice World asking about the origin of their ingredients. I'll post back the response.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Phew!
I've been using the Spice World jarred garlic and just checked the label.. I hope they are telling the truth. Mind you they do not specifically state their garlic is US-grown; it's simply implied:

California grown garlic bursting with flavor | Spice World

Sadly you are correct - medications, herbs, spices, vitamins, additives and of course all things electronic are guaranteed to have Chinese-made ingredients that don't have to be disclosed.

Just for schmit's sake I submitted an enquiry to Spice World asking about the origin of their ingredients. I'll post back the response.
Great! It will be good to know. Avoiding Chinese food products is worth paying extra if necessary. Seems like I've seen garlic (raw/fresh) at Wal-Mart marked Chinese. We've got to demand better labeling info and readability from our lax officials.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:42 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Whole Foods has local garlic. It's worth paying a little extra to avoid garlic from China.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:52 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Whole Foods has local garlic. It's worth paying a little extra to avoid garlic from China.
Closest WF to me is about 50 miles away, 100 miles round trip.

Does Whole Foods only source domestically? Their website is very fuzzy on this issue. Advertising support of certain values, well any business can do that. But I'm not finding much of substance or definitive statements on their site, just a lot of feel-good but no guarantees.

Mission & Values | Whole Foods Market

Old 05-27-2013, 06:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
It kind of makes sense that garlic is most commonly imported from China, since China is the largest garlic-growing nation in the world. This isn't new; garlic is native to Asia. If you check the wikipedia chart, you'll see that China averages over 13 *million* tonnes of garlic every year. Compare that to the USA, which grows an average 169 thousand tonnes every year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic

Old 05-27-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It kind of makes sense that garlic is most commonly imported from China, since China is the largest garlic-growing nation in the world. This isn't new; garlic is native to Asia. If you check the wikipedia chart, you'll see that China averages over 13 *million* tonnes of garlic every year. Compare that to the USA, which grows an average 169 thousand tonnes every year.

Garlic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That may be so. It's just that at this point in time at least, I for one, don't trust any food products from China. The fact they can barely feed their own people makes you wonder what their need to export to us is. China (it's government actually) is hostile to the U.S in it's espionage actions and trade practices. Not to mention they've shown no hesitance to send inferior even deadly products to the U.S for our consumption. I'll choose U.S grown garlic anytime.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:29 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Grow your own!

It's easy, it doesn't take a lot of space, and can be grown in containers on an apartment balcony.

Problem solved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink