Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

Guinea pig train - YouTube#!

Fried Guinea Pig

A food staple, in some places.

Hey look: Walking bacon.

Dandie Extreme First time Exploring - YouTube

Man, I like me some bacon. I bet there's a dude in Peru saying the same thing about guinea pigs.

The world is weird, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Never had that issue ! Some of my favourite foods started life as very cute. Cute and tasty, too common a combination. I had guinea pigs as a child , it never stopped me having "cuy" in Peru ! And loving it.

I adore animals, but I love eating them too. As long as they are reared and slaughtered humanely, really not an issue for me. My only taboo would be Dog ( which I accept is purely a cultural thing) and Cats. And endangered species obviously. Anything else is fair game for the table as far as I am concerned.

I would rather eat cuy than marshmallows, or fake processed cheese let's put it that way !

Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
OP should eat sea cucumbers. They're never cute. :-)

Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 AM

709 posts, read 955,479 times
I love to eat most animals. Never understood why we as a nation don't eat certain animals. I especially am interested in tasting dolphin(the mammal). I know some people eat them. And I don't call any animals "cute", but then again, I am a man.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:44 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
I love to eat most animals. Never understood why we as a nation don't eat certain animals. I especially am interested in tasting dolphin(the mammal). I know some people eat them. And I don't call any animals "cute", but then again, I am a man.
To best of my knowledge, nobody is stopping you. Get a speargun and go out to where the dolphins are. Heck, odds are some will swim right up to you. Then kill 'em, drag 'em ashore, clean 'em up and butcher 'em. As you say, you're a man. You should know how to do that.

Or do you want to just sit back with your can of MD64 in your Barcalounger and have someone else deal with the moral implications on your behalf?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 AM

709 posts, read 955,479 times
Okay, thanks!
There are no moral implications. It's just food. Last time I was on vacation on the gulf, I asked my guide about eating dolphin and he told me you can't. Guess I need to find a new guide. And yes, I catch, clean and cook some of my own food. But sorry, I'll have to look up MD64.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:19 AM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I read this threads header and thought WOW that is discrimination. Just like how hiring a attractive person over the fat ugly but qualified person would be. Right now there is a person out there in the world eating just about anything you can imagine be it cute or not. Today I would have a problem killing anything to eat it so I let others do it for me. Ask me again tomorrow when I might be starving if I would have a problem killing something so I could eat it but keep your distance, you might be on the menu. LOL
It is hard to look at that mini pig and think MMMM bacon without thinking first aww cute but then again I'm not hungry right now.
We are what we are omnivores and everything and anything is on the menu if we can catch it.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:26 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I read this threads header and thought WOW that is discrimination. Just like how hiring a attractive person over the fat ugly but qualified person would be. Right now there is a person out there in the world eating just about anything you can imagine be it cute or not. Today I would have a problem killing anything to eat it so I let others do it for me. Ask me again tomorrow when I might be starving if I would have a problem killing something so I could eat it but keep your distance, you might be on the menu. LOL
It is hard to look at that mini pig and think MMMM bacon without thinking first aww cute but then again I'm not hungry right now.
We are what we are omnivores and everything and anything is on the menu if we can catch it.

Said perfectly !

I do find it odd that some people do indeed discriminate against something because it is ugly as opposed to "cute". Mind you this would imply people living off seriously monstrous looking fish , insects and grubs and I see no sign of it so there is a certain hypocrisy on the subject.

I don't hunt anymore but have in the past and would again health permitting. I have killed, skinned and gutted so I am not squeamish in that respect ( I do hate gutting I must admit, messy and smelly) but I prefer to be honest and hold my hands up and declare myself an unshamed omnivore. Rabbits are darn cute and pretty darn tasty. Not mutually exclusive !

I am a fussy consumer when it comes to provenance, and standards of animal husbandry, transport etc... and prefer to eat higher quality meat less often rather than dead cheap rubbish but apart from those concerns if it tastes good , is not an endangered species and is not Dog or Cat ( purely hypocritical cultural taboos of mine) I will eat it.

And I can guarantee anyone who has never really be hungry in their lives that three or four days without food will render even the "cutest" or indeed the "grossest" forms of foods pretty acceptable to one's stomach. In the end the stomach is stronger than the brain. The animal in us will find a way out when it comes to survival....

A neighbour of mine will not eat meat with bones or anything like a whole fish which looks like it was once an animal. However she will quite happily buy the crappiest meat available in budgets ready meals/burgers etc.. and fast food completely uncaring what she actually puts in her mouth or how it was bred, lived, died and came to her supermarket shelves.... That to me is really quite shocking. She can't look the fact that meat= death in the face because it disturbs her so much but nonetheless will never be a vegetarian because that would require a sacrifice.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Cotton tails. My very young daughters were mad at me for weeks when I brought home some bunnies I had harvested from the field. Needless to sayIt took them a few years before they warmed up to the idea.

I got asked once if I was going to cook the pet hamster Sarah.

I said only if she bites me and I'm looking for a snack during halftime on Sunday.

All hunt and fish with me regularly now.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Said perfectly !

I do find it odd that some people do indeed discriminate against something because it is ugly as opposed to "cute". Mind you this would imply people living off seriously monstrous looking fish , insects and grubs and I see no sign of it so there is a certain hypocrisy on the subject.

I don't hunt anymore but have in the past and would again health permitting. I have killed, skinned and gutted so I am not squeamish in that respect ( I do hate gutting I must admit, messy and smelly) but I prefer to be honest and hold my hands up and declare myself an unshamed omnivore. Rabbits are darn cute and pretty darn tasty. Not mutually exclusive !

I am a fussy consumer when it comes to provenance, and standards of animal husbandry, transport etc... and prefer to eat higher quality meat less often rather than dead cheap rubbish but apart from those concerns if it tastes good , is not an endangered species and is not Dog or Cat ( purely hypocritical cultural taboos of mine) I will eat it.

And I can guarantee anyone who has never really be hungry in their lives that three or four days without food will render even the "cutest" or indeed the "grossest" forms of foods pretty acceptable to one's stomach. In the end the stomach is stronger than the brain. The animal in us will find a way out when it comes to survival....

A neighbour of mine will not eat meat with bones or anything like a whole fish which looks like it was once an animal. However she will quite happily buy the crappiest meat available in budgets ready meals/burgers etc.. and fast food completely uncaring what she actually puts in her mouth or how it was bred, lived, died and came to her supermarket shelves.... That to me is really quite shocking. She can't look the fact that meat= death in the face because it disturbs her so much but nonetheless will never be a vegetarian because that would require a sacrifice.

I've mentioned that before. If I got hungry enough, I'd eat a Koala, a Panda, and any other "cute" animal. After a certain time, it becomes food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink