Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 04:12 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times

Advertisements

Fat is not "unhealthy", it's a critical nutritional component of a diet. Ditto for sodium.
There is no such thing as an "unhealthy" food. Just unhealthy diets.

That said I am usually a minimalist when it comes to salad dressings but sometimes a hearty blue cheese or ranch or real mayo dressing is the only thing that works. I have never in my life bought or ordered anything labeled "low fat" or "fat-free." I make it a point not to. Either such things taste like crap, plus they are loaded with sugar and unpronounceable ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 04:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
I buy bottled Asian Sesame dressing, which is delicious. I find the others much too sour.
I do make my own Caesar dressing, complete with anchovies.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:30 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,550,086 times
The last bottle I bought was from TJs and had just a few ingredients with very little sugar, but now I just make my own. I use balsamic vinegar, olive oil, fresh lemon juice. Not so long ago while eating at someone else's home, I had some bottled ranch that I used to like, it was disgusting. I can't believe I ate that stuff. I started to stay away for health reasons, now I'm not used to the taste.

eta: I'm not afraid of fat. I can eat a whole avocado at a time, have a spoonful of coconut oil because it tastes good, eat fatty meat, butter, etc., I don't like all the other ingredients that go into commercial bottled dressing.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:33 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Bottled salad dressing is terrible for you.
That would depend entirely on the ingredients in each bottle of salad dressing. Not everything is black and white.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:15 AM

840 posts, read 1,147,801 times
Out of my 14,000 calories a week, that 200 calories of unhealthy calories aren't going to make much difference.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
My most usual dressing: olive oil and red wine vinegar. I'll always reach up and pluck off a little oregano from the bunch of dried herb I keep drying over my kitchen sink (I have my own herb garden in the back yard and harvest it a few times every season). No salt, no pepper.

My next most usual dressing: tahini. I use Joyva Sesame Tahini, which has the consistency of slightly loose organic peanutbutter. I mix the oil that rises to the top back in, scoop out a spoonful, add a few spoonsful of water, a squeeze of a lemon wedge, and mince a clove of garlic into a pudding cup. I mix it all up, thin it out with more water if it's too pasty, and that's my dressing. It's especially good on field greens with feta cheese and calamata olives.

Last most usual dressing: none, because I would have pan-seared some chunk-cut skinless boneless chicken breast in butter-sauteed mushrooms and shallots, with lemon juice and a splash of sherry, a clove of garlic, a heaping tablespoon of parsley, and use the juice from the pan as the dressing. I call it chicken scampi salad.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:07 AM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Most of the times, yes. But sometimes I will order a blue cheese on the site and will eat some of it. I really like blue cheese in any form...

Old 07-26-2013, 02:25 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Normally some form of Olive oil with or without vinegar.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:20 PM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times
Cheesecake Factory claims it makes its dressings fresh, in house, thus advising to use it in a few days.

I'll have to try it sometimes.

I loved Ike's dressing from Pizzeria UNO decades ago. Not sure if it's the same, or available for purchase anymore.

Whole Foods Market has a great salad bar but I'm skeptical of the dressings, even though they use Cindy's all natural in our region.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:20 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,228,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Fat is not "unhealthy", it's a critical nutritional component of a diet. Ditto for sodium.
There is no such thing as an "unhealthy" food. Just unhealthy diets.
Of course there are unhealthy foods but some people have no effects from them while others do
or will as they get older. Also, moderation is the key.
Link from the Mayo Clinic is clear on healthy vs non-healthy fats.

Dietary fats: Know which types to choose - MayoClinic.com

There is also sodium. The recommended amount of sodium is 1 teaspoon a day. Americans consume
too much sodium. Risks of too much sodium below.

7 Health Risks of Eating Too Much Salt | 3FC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink