Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 04:16 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times

Advertisements

here is one that use to get under my skin..

order a soda, and in a small glass with mostly ice, they'd charge 2-3 dollars...
at least use a large glass

from that i mostly order water now with lemon-

same with dessert,,if i get charged over 3 dollars for one little scoop of ice cream,,,i'll never get it again.. it irks me,,,no need to skim so much- these arent 5 star places or have pole dancers

yeah im a cheap bastard,,,its not that i cant afford it,,,just that i refuse to pay after the first time,,and thats fine,,happens alot

a couple restaurants opened in the area and i knew the managers/owners and asked them,,,why charge 3.50 for a soda, that costs you 20 cents,,if that
he said he set the prices "what the market will bear"

i said you arent at the counter of a movie theater.... a lot of competition for the food dollar,,
a year later the place was closed...

id rther make 10 dimes and make friends, than go after a dollar and **** customers off (an old guy told me that 35 yrs ago, still makes sense)

Old 01-07-2014, 04:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
Watching people who came in together for a meal spend the entire time staring at their iTools instead of engaging in human dialogue. Pathetic.
Worse yet is people who you invite out to dinner and their electronic device takes precedence over any conversation you may try to engage in..

Old 01-07-2014, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Setting those dang glasses of water in front of us without asking whether or not we want water (I never do), then asking me if I'm sure I don't want anything to drink with the meal ( I never do) when it comes time to order. Yeesh.
never thought of that as a top annoyance, but you do have a point. I drink some water when we eat but I don't need a giant glass and I don't want ice or even iced cold water. Sometimes, if I get a chance I will ask for no ice, it is still too cold for me to drink.

My biggest gripe and I have probably posted this someplace on this thread has to be screaming kids. I feel sorry for mommy and daddy, but I also know we used to take our kids out of the restaurant if they go fussy, so do my grandkids now. Next gripe, people talking on their cell phones and talking loud.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:04 AM

6,707 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalasno View Post
A big pet peeve of mine is when we are seated right next to another party, or when another party is seated right next to us when the restaurant is largely empty. This happens to me frequently. I didn't plan to go out to eat with a bunch of nosy eavesdroppers. I don't always go out to eat at the busiest times. I won't hesitate to ask to be seated elsewhere and the wait staff for some reason doesn't like it but that's tough.
Yes I've been given the evil eye for requesting a different seat. Obviously a lot of restaurants will seat you where it's most convenient for them. Most of the time, they are gracious about it, but when they're not, ah, I can feel a low tip and a nasty Yelp review coming on!

Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Worse yet is people who you invite out to dinner and their electronic device takes precedence over any conversation you may try to engage in..
Not a problem, I just whip out my own! If I need to tell them something, I'll text or email them. That usually gets the point across

Old 01-07-2014, 11:15 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
Worst experience was ordering, getting coffee, then waiting and waiting and our order doesn't arrive.

We notice everyone who ordered after us is eating already. Angrily ,we get up and go to the cash register and complain. Waitress said cook said she didn't have on hand what we ordered. Waitress... forgot.... to tell us.

All we gained was 2 cups of free coffee and 35 minutes of time as we left.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:17 PM

380 posts, read 833,517 times
Cringe every time when asked: "Are you finished/through?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
Adding, when they keep refilling my water over and over again even though I didn't ask them to.
This is an annoyance?
(Unless they first dump the water from your glass out themselves each time ...)

Old 01-07-2014, 03:53 PM

537 posts, read 740,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Not a problem, I just whip out my own! If I need to tell them something, I'll text or email them. That usually gets the point across
For example: YO NERD! HOWZ DA FOOD? L8R

Old 01-07-2014, 04:22 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Being refused service.

We went to a new Thai restaurant and we were greeted by the owner when we walked in. The dining room was only half full but the owner said "I'm sorry, we aren't taking any more guests." It was about 6:30PM so I thought that was a bit odd.

We went back the following week and the same thing happened. I asked him if he thought that was any way to run a restaurant. He replied "The cook threatens to walk out when we get busy." We left quite disgusted with the place never to return. They closed-down within two months.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:19 PM

Went with a friend to this diner in Watertown, Mass., where there's always a line on Sunday mornings. I have no idea why people think this is such a great place.

I ordered decaf coffee and eggs. Waitress screwed up the order and had to put it in again. She also kept trying to refill my coffee with regular and I had to keep reminding her not to. As I recall, I was also missing a fork. She conversationally said "Waitressing is hard." (Obviously too hard for you, I thought, maybe you need to find an easier profession.)

Ate once at another diner type of counter sandwich place in Belmont, Mass. The sandwich okay, not great. I asked the waitress/wife/owner for some water. After a couple of minutes of choking on my food, I went up to the counter and asked where my water was and she said, "You mean you wanted it now?"

Went another time to an almost empty Friendly's in Belmont (back before it blessedly turned into a Starbucks). Waitress came over and took my breakfast order -- coffee and eggs. She then was puttering around, cleaning tables, while I sat and sat. The manager, a young man, must have heard me place the order, so he went and poured me a cup of coffee. After he delivered my coffee, I could hear the waitress loudly remonstrating him in the back of the restaurant. Clearly this wasn't the first time he had intervened to make up for her incompetence.

Went with a bunch of friends late at night to Oliver's in Porter Square, Cambridge and ordered beers and nachos. (Ah the good old days!) One fellow, up from Texas and quite a character, ordered nachos but "hold the jalapenos". The waiter, a young guy, brought him a magnificent platter of nachos just laced through and through with jalapenos. My friend said, "Take this back, I'm quite allergic to jalapenos and I can't eat this." The waiter said, "Can you just pick them out?" I dropped my fork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink