Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:08 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times

Advertisements

To me, there is a world of difference in taste and quality between a Dominos/PP Johns/ chain store pizza and one from a real pizza shop. There is an Italian restaurant near us and the large goes well over $20 with only a couple of toppings, but the crust is thick and chewy and the sauce is really great tasting.

We also have a Jetts Pizza around here and they aren't bad, a step up from Dominos IMO, and theirs go for under $ 20 and even around $ 12 with a coupon. I try to avoid the chain pizza shops and go with Italian restaurants who make theirs from scratch.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Over 20 is what I pay for a Family size from the locally owned pizzaria that pumps out much better pizza than the noid.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:51 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
For $20, I can make 8 large 3-topping pizzas at home.

What you're paying for is the convenience, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:41 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
$20 is $5 more than a family size pizza from papa murphy's costs, granted that includes travel time (no delivery) and baking it yourself... but still, that is very expensive for dominos. The local hy-vee also makes their own very good large pizzas for under 10 bucks, and Freshetta frozen pizzas, my favorite brand of frozen pizza, are well under 10 bucks. Don't pay that again for delivered pizza unless you have 2 large pizzas for the price.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:23 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
I love, love, love pizza, which is why I would never a pizza from Domino's, not at any price. Never.

Sure, I've tasted them, when other people ordered them. Like I said...

That said, price for a large delivered pizza is relative. If you thought it was too much, why did you order it?

Old 11-08-2013, 03:11 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Last night I got home late and we decided to order pizza, rather than starve to death waiting for dinner to be ready.
We ordered a two topping pizza from Domino's...delivered. It was very good, and very hot, but it was over $20, including tip. DH and I thought this was outrageous.
Are we right, or wrong?
It would have been far cheaper to pick it up yourself. You likely had a delivery charge on there, plus your tip, neither of which you would have had if you picked it up. Usually I pay $10-$13.00 for a large or even family size pizza, but that is not having it delivered.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:15 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
We spend that amount no matter where we eat so it is not outrageous to me however, when we want good pizza I make it myself, when we are in a hurry we order out for the convenience which always costs extra.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Last night I got home late and we decided to order pizza, rather than starve to death waiting for dinner to be ready.
We ordered a two topping pizza from Domino's...delivered. It was very good, and very hot, but it was over $20, including tip. DH and I thought this was outrageous.
Are we right, or wrong?
I don't think it is outrageous as prices go, but that is why we rarely order it. I would rather stop on the way home from someplace, pick up a Pappa Murphy's if they are in the area and then stick it in the oven, either as is or doctor it up some. We sometimes buy one at Sam's or WalMart or even ALdis and do the same. So, to answer your question: no, 20 plus isn't bad, is Pizza worth it? To me, no. We had a similar situation a few years ago. We were driving to NOLA from here and spent the night in Mississippi. It had been a really long day or driving and we didn't want to hassle with finding a place to eat, so we ordered Pizza from Pizza Inn, which isn't the best anyway. It costs us $26 after tip, we didn't even notice the $3 delivery fee or the tip might have been less. Anyway, the pizza was fair at best and the kicker: the pizza place was just across the driveway from where we were staying. We hadn't noticed that either.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:23 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,629,770 times
The only pizza I ever splurge on when ordering delivery is Papa John's. It sometimes can cost me as much as thirty dollars total. That's for two one-topping large pizzas plus tax, delivery fee and tip. However, the past few times I've ordered from them I've been able to find codes online for 50 percent off my pizzas and have ended up paying only about 15 dollars for two extra large pizzas with "the works", and then the tax, delivery fee and tip will bring it up to about 22 dollars total.

When I either don't have or don't want to spend that much money on pizza I'll go to Little Caesars and order their Hot-n-Ready pizzas for five bucks each and sometimes will also order their crazy bread if I have a good coupon for it, such as for free, or for two orders of it for three dollars.

As an aside, I want to say that I love Papa John's pizza. Their crust is thick and chewy and it is what I like most about it. The cheese is my next favorite thing about their pizzas, and then the toppings. Their sauce isn't my favorite thing about their pizzas, but it is good.

The quality at Little Caesars can occasionally be off (meaning it is overcooked and burned instead of caramelized), but most times they are on point and are the greatest pizza in terms of having a buttery crust and in overall greasy goodness. Add in the fact that they are so cheap and I think you can't go wrong eating from there.

Little Caesars is the way I remember Pizza Hut being before I stopped eating there years ago because they stopped being greasy and good, and became either dry and mediocre or soggy and mediocre (it varied).

My favorite pizza overall is from a local pizza chain called Dion's. Unfortunately, they don't deliver and none of their locations are convenient to me so it's not often I eat from there, but when I do it is worth every penny of the usually 20-25 dollars I pay for a large pizza and delicious sub sandwich from them.

A good alternative to any of these for me is the frozen DiGiorno pizzas. I can often get them for as little as $2.50 each with coupons and sale prices, even the stuffed crust versions. When cooked right they are simply divine. They are hard to cook right, though. I don't know if it has to do with my high altitude, but usually I find it is best to cook them in the oven with the heat on for about 5 minutes less than what the directions say, then leave them in the oven with the heat off for another 3-5 minutes and take them out immediately. Even this trick sometimes doesn't work for me, but when it does and I get it right, DiGiorno pizzas can be heavenly.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:44 AM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
$20 seems high, especially for a chain like Domino's. I think I ordered from them 20 years ago or so when they first came out and were a new idea but I haven't eaten their food in years. We have good pizza places around here so there's no need, but I realize that in some areas, Domino's might be the better choice.

LOL @Papa John's. I tried it once--AWFUL, and my landlord saw it and called it "Sponge cake with stewed tomatoes", which was a pretty good description. What a terrible crust, thick and raw and gross.

I found a great pizza place when I moved where I am. I was exhausted on moving day and saw a neighbor outside and asked him for the name of a local pizza place that delivers. It was GOOD pizza. One day I was out and wanted pizza and decided to pick it up and went there for the first time. It's a dump. Little place, hasn't been redecorated since 1972, apparently, but the food is good. Delivery for a large pie is usually around $12 or $13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink