Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:10 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times

Advertisements

It's been decades since I drank whole milk. Used to drink skimmed, but now I only drink soy or almond milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 04:33 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
OK. OpenD's posts read like unfunny, hyper-critical effluvium. How's that for descriptive?

Here in Colorado, we are able to use Royal Crest Dairy, an 85+ year old company which still delivers to your doorstep each week. Their milk is consistently excellent and they have other dairy, eggs and related times. You just fill out a sheet the night before with what you want and it's in the box out front in the morning. They're absolutely the best and lots of people use them around here. I'm not a big milk-drinker but my wife and kids are. I love their eggs and occasionally get dips, heavy cream and other special goodies for myself. The bad news, for most of you, is that they're only in Colorado.
Oh my...I used to order from Royal Crest when I lived in Denver!
I think milk is loathsome stuff but I'd get half-and-half, eggs, yogurt.

For many years growing up we had goats - which I milked daily - and used the (unpasteurized killer) milk for cheese and yoghurt as well as drinking.

But I lost the taste for milk at about ten years old and I am 55 now and don't recall actually drinking the stuff since about 1968.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:55 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman
Be thankful you are drinking milk, I read there are 2 billion starving people in this world, I bet they'd be thankful to have a glass of your milk- crap
Ya your right buddy

Old 12-07-2013, 05:00 PM

993 posts, read 1,561,293 times
I'm not a fan of milk. The more present it is in whatever I'm cooking, the more likely I am to not like whatever dish that is (the exception, of course, being confections). And I really only use skim milk for most dishes, like quiches.

If it's the creaminess you're after, have you tried adding a splash of heavy cream?

Old 12-07-2013, 08:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I can't stand the smell of cream. No matter how fresh it is, it smells sour to me. Half-and-half, heavy cream, doesn't matter. The more butterfat in the liquid, the sourer it smells to me. Real actual butter, I can handle. Normal whole milk, I'm fine with it. Cheeses of -most- types - I'm good, though sharp provolone ,the runny stuff like brie, and limburger all cause me to make a face as well.

I've had milk fresh from the cow at a local pasture-raised dairy farm, and I wasn't fond of that smell either. Of course -that- smell was combined with the smell of cow urine and feces in the milking barn, which is about as appetizing as trying to eat a cheeseburger in a port-o-potty.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:36 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's disheartening to me that so many people use that term to discuss any taste they don't like. Come on, folks, dig a little deeper... find a better word, a more accurate word, a more descriptive word. As it is, I really have little clue what you're really talking about.
I am in complete agreement with you. Sadly, vulgarity has become all too frequent in every part of our society.

If I need to make a dish taste richer I stir a walnut-sized piece of soft butter into the finished dish. In a dish made with butter it's almost sure to result in a richer and more flavorful taste. I do mean butter, not the artificial substitute. I have used this technique to good effect in preparing macaroni and cheese.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:41 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,660 times
The taste of any milk depends on what the cows are being fed. if you're buying the same brand perhaps the feed's been changed.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:54 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy_rox2 View Post
Have you switched up your brand? If not, perhaps you should.

Also, try an organic whole milk OR find a farmers market near you and buy whole milk from them. Usually organic whole milk and milk from a local farm tastes much better than the regular store brands.
I'm so used to the regular milk, the organic milk tastes like the cow stepped in it

Now if you are talkin of organic lobsters, then yes, they are so much better than farm raised or commercially grown lobsters.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:05 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's disheartening to me that so many people use that term to discuss any taste they don't like. Come on, folks, dig a little deeper... find a better word, a more accurate word, a more descriptive word. As it is, I really have little clue what you're really talking about.
Well, in Scotland we would say it tastes like sh!te. Is that better?

Old 12-08-2013, 08:23 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Well, in Scotland we would say it tastes like sh!te. Is that better?
That's a phrase used in these parts too

But again if someone is asking about a flavor profile., it makes it tough to give an assessment. On crap

It s like saying all vegetables suck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink