Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:56 PM

19,499 posts, read 9,528,287 times

Advertisements

Even when I dine out with hubby and we order appetizers, they pretty much often come with a couple mini plates. I'll take a portion and put that on the plate.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 PM

173 posts, read 460,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
The complimentary basket of chips and bowl (s) of salsa that are put out on every table in Mexican restaurants are intended for all of the guests at that table to enjoy. That is why your sisters looked at you weird. I've never ever seen anyone request their own free baskets and bowls of chips and salsa. The basket of chips alone is usually enough for 4 people - I too had that same reaction when I read your post - "you're really going to consume that yourself?"

That said, if you requested your own basket of chips and bowl of salsa and left the "community" basket and bowl on the table for your sisters, then there should be no issue. You'd get a few raised eyebrows, but as long as the other people you're dining with also have chips and salsas, there should be no problem. Your friends and family will get used to it.

Your post title is misleading though - I was thinking you were referring to appetizers you order off the menu and pay for - that's completely different than a free appetizer that's there at the table for everyone to enjoy. If you're ordering apps off the menu that you are paying for, you certainly have a right not to share with anyone.

Well, no I am talking complimentary salsa and chips...and also if the restaurant who is paying for them doesn't mind me having my own chips and salsa why should any one else. As soon as the server brings them for the table I ask her or him for more and explain that I would like to have my own...no restaurant has ever had a problem with my request...and while I am waiting for my own chips and salsa to arrive, I let those I am dining with have the ones already on the table, which I do not touch.

when I eat Tex- Mex, being vegan, I always order the same thing...plain tacos with avocado, lettuce, tomato and onion...and if they have been prepared without animal products, I will also get beans and rice on the side.

I use salsa on my tacos, another reason I need my own portion. So for me, chips and salsa become a part of my meal.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:01 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,436 times
My sister knew I wouldn't drink any more soda after she took a sip (and took advantage of that) but at least I never got her kooties.

Never let others impose their culinary or other habits on you because they 'are offended'. There's too many control freaks around that this is a great way to assert your independence and make it clear they are not in control of your life.

First they double-dip, then they take your SOULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlee View Post
Well, no I am talking complimentary salsa and chips...and also if the restaurant who is paying for them doesn't mind me having my own chips and salsa why should any one else. As soon as the server brings them for the table I ask her or him for more and explain that I would like to have my own...no restaurant has ever had a problem with my request...and while I am waiting for my own chips and salsa to arrive, I let those I am dining with have the ones already on the table, which I do not touch.
Wouldn't it just be easier to ask for your own plate, where you could portion out the chips and salsa? You're getting free chips. Don't be greedy.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,949,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlee View Post

when I eat Tex- Mex, being vegan, I always order the same thing...plain tacos with avocado, lettuce, tomato and onion...and if they have been prepared without animal products, I will also get beans and rice on the side.
It all becomes clear to me now------

Old 01-21-2014, 02:20 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Nah. That is the restaurant's cost of doing business. And not a particularly high one. Picking those nits would be a massive waste of time.
Possibly true that's why I had a question mark in my comments.
If I were to insist on an extra serving of chips and salsa, I'd feel a bit guilty about not paying extra unless it was a high end place.

I do realise that's a cost of doing business, but at what point do theoretically endless separate bowls of chips and salsa become a loss? One is a COB; six (theoretically) would be a deal breaker especially if the patrons weren't drinking or ordering higher-margin entrees. Restaurants typically run on a very7tight budget.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:23 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
I don't get not sharing the chips, but everyplace around here gives you your own salsa automatically.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:24 PM

173 posts, read 460,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
Is there part of this story we're missing? Because I understand your preferences, but you seem quite upset by this. I don't mean any disrespect, but the last part of this post especially makes me wonder if there's more than meets the eye (or the salsa bowl) here. From your OP, your sisters seemed surprised that you'd want your own chips and salsa, but not particularly offended.

Like I said before, I'll share a bowl of chips all day long, but I do prefer my own salsa bowl simply because I like every chip full of salsa and I go through the bowl quickly. However, I suppose I just can't imagine feeling strongly enough about it that I would feel that someone had walked all over my boundaries, but everyone has their thing.

As far as the food sharing in general, I never go out to eat expecting to try someone else's meal, nor would I want someone else to have the expectation to try mine. But if they ask, or if I ask, I guess I just don't see the harm in putting a little bit on a smaller plate. Most restaurant portions are very large these days anyway and I can rarely finish my meal, particularly if I've had chips & salsa or bread beforehand.

But someone just reaching over and taking food off my plate? No. Even my husband and I don't do that unless we've asked each other -- the answer is always yes, but we at least give each other the courtesy to ask.

No, not at all...let me explain....my kids and their friends all think I am very comical...I keep them in stitches...I have this thing for making people laugh...but my kids and their friends also know (I am a by the book person) their words not mine...

When I was younger, I tried to become a cop...back in my home town, when the Pittsburgh police force opened up hiring way back when I was a young girl, I wanted to join so badly...but I didn't have a driver's license...so i missed that opportunity.

My kids and their friends laughed...then they said ahh no...everybody in town would be so mad at me, cause they know when I am duty they going to jail...don't bother pleading, if they broke the law they going to jail...but the kids know that if I take somebody to jail, that's where they belong...I am tough, but I am fair.

A few years later, I wanted to join the military...Marines, Army...nope most likely the Air force...but I was a single parent with two young kids...and I had no family willing to take my children for the two years, I would have had to leave them before they could join me. Again my kids and their friends laughed...yep, that's me...a soldier.

But, Everyone I knew thought a mother leaving her kids for that long was crazy...so they all declined. I thought...hey my boys know I love them and that I am their mother, I will see them every couple months, I will write to them...and more importantly I will be able to afford to take care of them all by myself, like I am already doing.

I am also my mother's oldest child...always been in authority, but with that comes responsibility...so I am a no nonsense kinda person...for sure...Any kinda true foolishness, (not the make everybody laugh kind) I am just not one for it.

So...I guess you could say I am a pretty analytical and logical person...so any deviation from that, I have to analyze and process it until it makes sense to me.

It's a common North East USA trait.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:35 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
What, Our family ALWAYS shares any entree ordered at a restaurant, and we never got health problems. That's just how things work.

I dont like it, but other members of my family always take bites from my plate. So from now on, I just hand over a decent portion whenever I know their intention is to take food from my plate. Any more, and I say no. Fair enough, It works out well . I tell them, "if you want something, then please take it from the common bowl, not my plate".

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-21-2014 at 02:44 PM..

Old 01-21-2014, 02:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
What, Our family ALWAYS shares any entree ordered at a restaurant, and we never got health problems. That's just how things work.
I hate it when I ask someone if they are enjoying their food and they turn around and offer me some. I know they are being nice but they just made me feel weird because I don't want their food that they are telling me is good now. its not really a germ issue, I just want to eat my food and maybe ill take some of yours if I am not full at the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink