Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: have you ever sent a food item back to the kitchen to be redone / replaced ?
Yes I have sent something back 106 82.17%
No, I have never sent a food item back 23 17.83%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 05:26 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
They don't where I live or the customer throws a hissy-fit because the law prevents it for the sake of the business. If food is undercooked, it is the business' issue. If you want undercooked steak, do it at home.
I didn't know there were places that wouldn't serve rare steak. The brunch buffets here always have prime rib that is pretty rare. I don't eat it for that reason - I don't want a pool of blood under my meat - but my husband and adult kids love it, and when we go to restaurants for prime rib they order it anywhere from rare to medium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 05:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I didn't know there were places that wouldn't serve rare steak. The brunch buffets here always have prime rib that is pretty rare. I don't eat it for that reason - I don't want a pool of blood under my meat - but my husband and adult kids love it, and when we go to restaurants for prime rib they order it anywhere from rare to medium.
Maricopa County AZ does. I think eggs sunny side up are too.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
No, never.

I've never ordered anything that warranted it.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:18 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
I rarely send anything back but sometimes will. Usually it's if the food gets really cold. But more often than not, if the food's just not good I simply don't go back. Too many good places around to be bothered with the sub-par ones.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:52 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
We've sent stuff back plenty of times. If it's not prepared the way we asked, or not what we ordered (incorrect sides) we send it back. We're nice about it, but we send it back. If I'm paying for it, I want what I order, not what someone in the kitchen chooses for me to eat. Even at fast food places, if my order is wrong, it's going back.
The moment you complain to a server about a dish, you subtly alter the very experience you are paying for. Any restaurateur will tell you this. Everything changes; a spell is broken, and a kind of electric charge spreads from your table around the room at what Rachel Cooke recently called “a peacock display of repulsive 21st-century entitlement”. Other diners crane their necks to see how it will end.

“The dangerous thing about waiting tables is that you never know who’s going to walk through the door.” Each diner carries within them a combustible charge of emotions, memories and expectations.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:35 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Yes, I have sent back food. This one diner we go to "marries" condiments. You know, half bottle of ketchup gets dumped into another half bottle of ketchup? And one of the bottles was bad, very very bad. The only way to know is to put it into your food. There were apologies and new plate and comped meal. We are regulars there.
The acidity of ketchup gives it a very long shelf life. Condiments are also inexpensive, meaning that in any self-respecting dining room, bottles that reach half-empty are simply swapped out for new ones out of stock. Actually mixing two half-bottles into a single bottle would with good reason be a health code violation in many areas.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You do realize medium rare is the lowest you can get in most places unless you cook it yourself right?
Particularly prime rib. They begin as large chunks of meat that are precooked for hours, then cut and finished to the customer's order. The longer after the pre-cook you go, the fewer actually rare cuts will remain.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
People that act up in restaurants simply want to feel important.
Princess and the Pea Syndrome. They are eating out. That's "special" for them, so they expect to be seen and treated in the exalted Marie Antoinette manner to which they suddenly believe they are entitled. It's all so transparent. Try not to be one of those people.

Meanwhile, at any decent-sized restaarant, having food sent back is an on-going fact of life. Sometimes it is the fault of the restaurant, but far more often it is the fault of the clientele.

Last edited by 17thAndK; 10-29-2017 at 08:37 AM..

Old 10-29-2017, 09:29 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
I've sent back food that tasted like it was past the "use by date." I've also sent back fish when it was not fully cooked--not a fan of uncooked fish. Husband sent back a piece of salmon once that was still cold and slightly frozen. We've never been back to that restaurant.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:26 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I have sent a steak back. Although I like med rare, once in awhile it’s still mooing. If something is too well done, I usually just eat it, since you can’t unring a bell. Once I had Irish stew that was too salty to eat, so I sent it back.

I don’t send something back just because I don’t like it. It’s my fault for ordering it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink