Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: have you ever sent a food item back to the kitchen to be redone / replaced ?
Yes I have sent something back 106 82.17%
No, I have never sent a food item back 23 17.83%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 08:00 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,525,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
If someone has a food allergy that severe, they should always mention it to the server if for nothing else, than to ensure there isn't cross-contamination, or trace ingredients (like using scallop shells to make fish stock).
Exactly. I can't imagine ordering a seafood dish without inquiring if there were scallops in it, even if it wasn't listed on the menu. In fact, my sister has a severe shellfish allergy, and she mentions it any time she orders at a restaurant, even if she's ordering something that doesn't have shellfish. Filet mignon with baked potato and broccoli? Yep. She still mentions it to ensure that the kitchen knows not to use the same tongs on her meat that just picked up the shrimp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 08:07 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,073,215 times
Some of you all are the nightmare customers that wait staff dread but later tell jokes about. Meanwhile, do send stuff back that is not to your liking for any reason. The house wants you to be more than happy with your meal, and most places will go to great lengths in an attempt to make that happen.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:17 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,194,063 times
Two different times.

Scrambled eggs and toast. The parsley had a slug on it. The server must have been new. She said hand me the parsley and I'll throw it away for you. No, just take it away, I'll have a muffin instead.

Out for breakfast again. My son and husband were almost finished eating my plate of pancakes and sausage finally came and was ice cold, like it had come from a frig. Told them to just take off ticket don't have time to wait for another order. Just ate my son's toast.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:18 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,525,969 times
The only meal I can ever recall sending back involved very pink chicken. I won't mess around with that.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:56 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,043,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Exactly. I can't imagine ordering a seafood dish without inquiring if there were scallops in it, even if it wasn't listed on the menu. In fact, my sister has a severe shellfish allergy, and she mentions it any time she orders at a restaurant, even if she's ordering something that doesn't have shellfish. Filet mignon with baked potato and broccoli? Yep. She still mentions it to ensure that the kitchen knows not to use the same tongs on her meat that just picked up the shrimp.
I was out with a friend the other night who ordered steak tips, and the bartender asked if she had a shellfish allergy because there was fish sauce in the marinade. However, if it's a life or death situation, don't count on the server asking you, you need to advocate for yourself.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:04 AM

391 posts, read 402,683 times
I went to a highly recommended restaurant that I though was overpriced based on the atmosphere. I ordered chicken something or another and it came out beautifully presented. The only issue was that they didn't put it in the oven to cook. That has happened to me twice. Once at this restaurant and again in another state. It happens. It was a simple mistake I believe and although I haven't been back nor will I, that wasn't the reason. I believe that the food there is probably pretty descent.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:14 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,073,215 times
Everywhere is overpriced if you can't afford to eat there.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:38 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,455,225 times
Yep (I hit the wrong selection in the poll) - if it hasn't been done the way I requested.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:55 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
It's a rare occurrence, but I will send back food that is over or under cooked, or if the order is just plain wrong. Once, I ordered some cashew chicken at a carry out place that was so awful I told them I didn't want to try anything else, please just give me a refund. The only time I sent something back just because I didn't like it was at a restaurant where a particular sushi roll had gotten rave reviews. It was horrible and SWEET. Nothing in the description had given me any reason to expect that. I tried to eat it, and literally could not. The roll I ordered as a replacement was wonderful.

I like to cook, myself, and when I eat out, I expect the food to be served to be worth the added expense of going to a restaurant. I don't expect gourmet for $15, but I do expect it what I ordered, as I ordered it.

I am always polite about it, and never blame the server. I've worked at restaurants, and I would much rather have someone return an item and leave happy than sit there with a bad meal, and then go tell everyone they know not to eat at XYZ.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 10-27-2017 at 10:03 AM..

Old 10-27-2017, 10:06 AM

3,508 posts, read 768,464 times
numerous times .. so many in fact that i quit eating out at sit down places .. i dont want any kind of meat brought to me that a veterinarian could bring back to life with a little work .. i want my meat burnt but not rurnt ( is that a word ? rurnt .. i`m sure it is down south i just have never seen it spelled ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink