Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: have you ever sent a food item back to the kitchen to be redone / replaced ?
Yes I have sent something back 106 82.17%
No, I have never sent a food item back 23 17.83%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 09:22 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,881,385 times

Advertisements

Once, when there was an extremely long hair coiled in the mustard on my sandwich. <ehhhhhhrp> The manager couldn't convince me to order anything else "on the house", and I never went back.

Another time I ordered a loaded baked potato and there was a huge, black, gooey, fungus blob inside the potato. Even the waitress gagged when I showed it to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 10:22 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,396 times
OMG, I don't feel so bad now. The only things I will send back, and I do it as soon as possible, is an overdone steak (medium-rare, please) and extremely overdone eggs (poached/over-easy eggs are among the easiest things to cook).

Mr. diva and I are good cooks, though, and mostly eat at home. I do not send things back merely for a menu misread or other error. I will, however, *inform* kitchen/wait staff if there is something like a bone fragment in collard greens or something like that merely because I know other diners could and will throw an absolute hissy fit. Otherwise, my attitude is laissez faire. We all make mistakes!

Old 10-26-2017, 10:31 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
I don't like sending things back, but I also don't like undercooked beef (my definition of it at least). I order everything except filet mignon medium-well to well and if it comes totally pink after the first bite, it goes back. But this rarely happens and I've sent things back less than 5 times in my life, I'd say. And we eat out a lot, so I'm at restaurants at least once a week on average.

Mistakes happen. When you go out to eat, you're ordering something a certain way and you're paying for it. I don't think people should feel bad about sending something back, as long as it's for a genuine reason, they do it nicely and politely, and don't do it often.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:51 PM

22,195 posts, read 19,233,374 times
if there is something so bad or wrong or gross or substandard or off that it needs to be sent back
then i just leave
i don't want to eat there
and i would also wonder worry not trust that they might do something gross to whatever they next send out as replacement. I've heard too many stories from people who've worked in kitchens who do gross stuff to food.

so no i would not send it back i'd just pay and leave and be nice about it and not go back. say i wasn't feeling well or i got an urgent message and have to leave. pay and tip and go. and not come back.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:33 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Yes. Nothing was edible.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:51 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Sent back: chicken. It was undercooked.
Sent back: steamed veggies. Broccoli was rock hard.
Sent back : hoagie. Bread was stale.

Result: chicken received a bic flame and they thought I'd just consume it. I didn't.
Result: steamed broccoli never made its way back. But I got charged.
Result: New fresh hoagie with fresh roll,yum!

Bottom line, if I pay ,it deserves to be editable and prepared to standard.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:42 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
One time I sent a fish entrée back after 2 bites I realized something was off about it. I did not order another dish.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:55 AM

317 posts, read 652,522 times
Yes. Several times.

Too salty to eat (literally, it burned it was so salty.)

Meat ordered medium rare that came too rare to cut with the provided knife.

An item that had an ingredient that can send one of our party into anaphylactic shock that was not mentioned in the menu description (scallops in a fish dish.)

Kitchens expect a certain amount of this and if it's a valid issue and not just pickiness, the employees don't seem to get upset about it. It helps them make adjustments to keep it from happening in the future.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:47 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
I've sent back incorrectly cooked meat, very cold food and overcooked mussels, among a few others. At other times, a server has noticed I wasn't eating anything (wildly oversalted dish, for example) and offered to replace it.

I've worked in a lot of restaurants and there's nothing wrong with sending back something that is incorrectly cooked. Sending back something you don't care for is another story (even though I've certainly been disappointed by some restaurant meals). Sending back a plate doesn't have to come off as rude or causing a scene, either.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:48 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarite View Post
Yes. Several times.

Too salty to eat (literally, it burned it was so salty.)

Meat ordered medium rare that came too rare to cut with the provided knife.

An item that had an ingredient that can send one of our party into anaphylactic shock that was not mentioned in the menu description (scallops in a fish dish.)
If someone has a food allergy that severe, they should always mention it to the server if for nothing else, than to ensure there isn't cross-contamination, or trace ingredients (like using scallop shells to make fish stock).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink