Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: have you ever sent a food item back to the kitchen to be redone / replaced ?
Yes I have sent something back 106 82.17%
No, I have never sent a food item back 23 17.83%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 01:43 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
I would like to see quotes from kitchen workers who say this is the case.

If I order something and it is not up to what it should be, I ask to speak to the manager. The server really has no way of correcting a problem and that is what a manager is for.

Last year, on my birthday, we went to a restaurant we frequent and I order prime rib, medium well, a baked potato with butter, sour cream, and chives, and a salad with ranch dressing. This was after an almost 25 minute wait for a server to come to our table.

We waited another 20 minutes for the server to bring our salads and another 20 after that for the food to arrive.

My wife's steak and french fries were cold.

My prime rib was cooked until it was the strength of leather, the potato was less than half-cooked and cold. I called for the supervisor and raised hell, walking out without paying for the food.

We've been back since and a manager always stops by to see if everything is okay.

Sometimes it pays!
I worked in restaurants all though college. Restaurants ranging from chains to high end privately run places. I can tell you for a fact tampering with food happens. Sending food back politely can get good results. Being an a$$ ups the ante that you will get your food tampered with. Of course if the cook's gf just cheated on him you may find yourself on the losing end of some DNA. It all depends on the situation. I leave nothing to chance. I don't send anything back. If the food is bad I ask to take it off the bill and eat somewhere else. You have been warned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 01:57 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I worked in restaurants all though college. Restaurants ranging from chains to high end privately run places. I can tell you for a fact tampering with food happens. Sending food back politely can get good results. Being an a$$ ups the ante that you will get your food tampered with. Of course if the cook's gf just cheated on him you may find yourself on the losing end of some DNA. It all depends on the situation. I leave nothing to chance. I don't send anything back. If the food is bad I ask to take it off the bill and eat somewhere else. You have been warned
Thank you very much!

Old 01-30-2014, 02:05 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
I usually won't send something back unless it's real bad. I remember one time some friends and I were eating at a restaurant and my friend got a nail in his food, I forget what he had ordered but luckily the manager was nice and replaced it no problem.

I did have one bad experience where I got a beetle in my salad and when I told the manager he just looked at me and said "It's just a salad beetle". I complained enough that he finally replaced it.
This is why I always order the soup over the salad with my meal. I'm scared of what happens to room temperature food, especially if it has the potential to come in contact with meat that might have salmonella.

I have found bugs in my own lettuce I buy from the grocery store though. I found a moth, a lady bug, and a fly at various times. This is probably not as scary as from a restaurant though.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:06 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Anyone would be a fool to send food back because the kitchen will do terrible things to what's next sent out.

I'm not a meek person. I just know how kitchen staff think. I'm not going to eat someone's spit.
Being that I'm part of a fourth generation restaurant family, I have to call you out on this because it is so wrong and untrue.

First of all, anytime you send something back to a kitchen, managers are notified. No cook or chef is ever left alone with your food.

If someone were to spit in your food you sent back multiple people would see it happen and you would get fired.

You are perpetuating an urban myth.

I've been working in restaurants since I was a child and I've never seen it happen nor heard of it happening.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:14 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Being that I'm part of a fourth generation restaurant family, I have to call you out on this because it is so wrong and untrue.

First of all, anytime you send something back to a kitchen, managers are notified. No cook or chef is ever left alone with your food.

If someone were to spit in your food you sent back multiple people would see it happen and you would get fired.

I've been working in restaurants since I was a child and I've never seen it happen nor heard of it happening.
This may be true in your restaurant but completely false in many restaurants. I give you credit for being a professional, but the guy making your food at a chain restaurant that is vastly understaffed is not being monitored. Sorry but that is the truth.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:15 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,577,957 times
Quote:

Well, it DOES happen, though I agree that I think it's overblown how often.

Anyone remember the whole Domino's fiasco awhile back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhBmWxQpedI

Old 01-30-2014, 02:15 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
...You are perpetuating an urban myth.

It happens - and it has been documented using hidden cameras.

When I cooked we never considered doing anything to anyone's food - we took pride in our product. Once we had a busload of teenagers pull-up at closing. The manager looked at me, I shrugged my shoulders and said let's rock-and-roll (it was just the two of us - everyone else had gone home). Restaurants provide a service and should be operated with that in mind. Today's competition will trample any restaurant that does not work hard for the customer's dollar.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:16 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
This may be true in your restaurant but completely false in many restaurants. I give you credit for being a professional, but the guy making your food at a chain restaurant that is vastly understaffed is not being monitored. Sorry but that is the truth.

I'm not talking about one restaurant. I'm talking about the hundreds my family has been associated with being either chain or family owned.

Yes, it has happened on extremely rare occasions but is very far from the norm.

Restaurant help is cheap, they generally aren't understaffed.

Also, many many kitchens are open and many these days have security cameras.

Last edited by blueherons; 01-30-2014 at 04:43 PM..

Old 01-30-2014, 04:54 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,255 times
Quote:
I have worked in restaurants for 45 years. Managers are very, very seldom in the kitchen and the kitchen staff is 98% alone with your food. Most will not spit in it but when the food comes back, they are angry and will ignore it until they feel like dealing with it, FACT.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:17 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
I only sent back food once many years ago. My dad and I went out for seafood to a place that we always went to, I ordered snapper ( a fish I never had before) It was raw in the middle so I sent it back and got something else. Other than that one time my husband and I have never sent food back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink