Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: have you ever sent a food item back to the kitchen to be redone / replaced ?
Yes I have sent something back 106 82.17%
No, I have never sent a food item back 23 17.83%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times

Advertisements

I will send food back if:

- It's cold (and should be hot)
- it contains an undisclosed, unexpected ingredient that I do not like (example, sautéed onions on a Croque Monsieur, anchovies on a mushroom pizza)
- over cooked steak
- a rancid or spoiled ingredient (this only happened once)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 09:09 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I will send food back if:

- It's cold (and should be hot)
- it contains an undisclosed, unexpected ingredient that I do not like (example, sautéed onions on a Croque Monsieur, anchovies on a mushroom pizza)
- over cooked steak
- a rancid or spoiled ingredient (this only happened once)
Really?! That's horrifying, I would definitely send it back and not return. What was it?

I remember not too long ago I read a man bought a sandwich at an airport crawling with maggots. In the picture, it actually looked like cheese. Imagine biting into it without looking.

This is why we rarely eat out, it's always disappointing or too many horrors.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:19 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
...sautéed onions on a Croque Monsieur, anchovies on a mushroom pizza...
I think a grilled ham and cheese sandwich might benefit from some grilled onions and I would pay double for a good mushroom/anchovy pizza.

I have refused food a couple of times but never wanted a replacement dish - I just notify the waitress at the end of the meal and expect it to be removed from the bill.

BTW - the dishes I returned were all spoiled, rotten green chili (bubbling with fermentation), slimy ham, moldy sliced beef sandwich, rotten shrimp, and chicken that smelled like fish.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:22 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Today we went to our favorite burger place, and the burger and fries were cold. We complained about it, and the waitress took our two cokes off the bill. It was so disappointing, we were looking forward to our lunch. I was torn about saying anything.

Once I ordered fried chicken with mashed potatoes and she brought back a chicken fried steak (different place). I didn't eat it; she asked what was wrong and I said 'oh nothing' lol. Once there was plastic cooked into my food, but I just pulled it out and set it aside.

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable sending food back, no matter what? What would make you send your food back?
I'm not shy about sending food back for any reason. Even if there is nothing wrong with it, but I simply don't like it.

There are times I don't. Like for breakfast if I sent back one item it would ruin the whole meal because i like to eat it altogether and the other items would get cold. Would have to be bad for me to send it back.

You should have gotten fresh, hot food, not comped cokes!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:23 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Anyone would be a fool to send food back because the kitchen will do terrible things to what's next sent out.

I'm not a meek person. I just know how kitchen staff think. I'm not going to eat someone's spit.
The key is to do it really nicely! But yeah.

For me, I hate it when gravy comes on my chicken - I know the odds are they are going to throw it in the fryer to get the gravy off, which it doesn't really, I have to be super-sweet and say PLEASE can I have a fresh one?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Wow, where do you guys eat?! I can honestly say, while I have recieved cold food, I don't mind, except fries, fries need to be served hot, smoking hot, I now tell the staff when I order fries, serve them hot please....

Once, I got an ice cream sundae, it was a hot melted mess. I can't even believe it
Was brought out like that. I sent it back, and actually told them not to bother, we left...

Old 01-28-2014, 10:35 PM

373 posts, read 589,655 times
2 situations result in me sending food back:

Undercooked noodles (I think they call it al dente...I call it undercooked).

Unpeeled cucumbers in a salad. Peel 'em or keep 'em. I am not a goat.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The key is to do it really nicely! But yeah.

For me, I hate it when gravy comes on my chicken - I know the odds are they are going to throw it in the fryer to get the gravy off, which it doesn't really, I have to be super-sweet and say PLEASE can I have a fresh one?
The kitchen does not care how nice you are to the waitress. All that matters to them is you sent it back.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times
When I did eat out frequently for travel, I purposely, as a sole diner, went at slightly off peak dinner hours. This usually enables kitchen to do their job. Only time I can recall sending something back was undercooked meat, I like it medium to medium well and occasionally depending on the cook/chef they don't get it right before sending it out.

Most everything else (if one goes at non peak times) tends to be very synchronized on temperature / freshness. As to the horror stories above of maggot etc... that sounds like the stuff that happens at fast food or processed prepped type places more often than sit down ( I presume); airport establishments, convenience / delis / low end lunch counters / mall food courts etc....

Having eaten many times at wedding receptions (due to part time work) I do have horror stories of poor event food prep where the hall kitchen / caterer managed to make most everything unpalatable. I think it is mostly due to the Bermuda Kitchen trifecta (triangle): poor bulk quality (bad cuts), bad preparation (poor or no seasonings) and bad cooking.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:04 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
first of all, i try to avoid making a scene or screaming at the server,

i will write a note, sign it, and invite the cook/chef to my table- most cooks/chefs are high strung/stressed and even arrogant,,,servers dont like bringing anything back, they get screamed at by the cook-
the note, is clear communication between the customer (me) and the cook- and i will also write, if this isnt corrected, i will give this note to the restaurants owner, and post it on facebook...

this has worked 100% of the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink