Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: have you ever sent a food item back to the kitchen to be redone / replaced ?
Yes I have sent something back 106 82.17%
No, I have never sent a food item back 23 17.83%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 05:18 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I have worked in restaurants for 45 years. Managers are very, very seldom in the kitchen and the kitchen staff is 98% alone with your food. Most will not spit in it but when the food comes back, they are angry and will ignore it until they feel like dealing with it, FACT.
You must have been in some pretty shabby places. I've never, ever known of a restaurant that didn't have at least one manager in the kitchen at ALL times whether it be the EC, KM, AKM or floor supe.

Restaurants without someone of authority in the kitchen at all times spell disaster and financial ruin. No wonder you've seen people act horribly towards someone's dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 05:58 PM

814 posts, read 2,045,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Why can kitchen stuff not be as professional as everyone else.

Where do you ear? I cant imagine Chef Ramsey spitting on people's food?
the way Chef Ramsey runs around on TV screaming his head off at people in the hell kitchen. I am sure he has acccidentially spit in someone's food at one time or another not realizing it happened. You just can't scream that much and that loud with out a little bit of spittle juice ejecting itself from one's screaming full open loud mouth!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:55 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,969,228 times
I usually only send back if there is a major issue with it, there have been a couple times when trying new foods that I have found I do not like it, but I ordered it so I'll eat it just to avoid causing any drama.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,657,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You must have been in some pretty shabby places. I've never, ever known of a restaurant that didn't have at least one manager in the kitchen at ALL times whether it be the EC, KM, AKM or floor supe.

Restaurants without someone of authority in the kitchen at all times spell disaster and financial ruin. No wonder you've seen people act horribly towards someone's dinner.
So sorry but you are very wrong and as far as authority in the kitchen? That would be the head cook and he would be too busy to see everything that is going on. I have always worked in very busy restaurants and no, they weren't shabby.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:29 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
i don't like sending food back because it disrupts my dining experience more than eating less than perfect food.

i often wont even send the food back if they brought me the wrong food (unless it was for someone else). if its something id be interested in eating, id still eat it and consider it an opportunity to maybe get lucky and enjoy something more than what i ordered.

so for me to send it back, it basically has to be something that makes a big difference in the quality of the food ive been served.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
So sorry but you are very wrong and as far as authority in the kitchen? That would be the head cook and he would be too busy to see everything that is going on. I have always worked in very busy restaurants and no, they weren't shabby.
A head cook? In what decade the 1980s? Restaurants now all run with someone of authority in the kitchen. Most likely the EC, SC, KM, or AKM. It is too expensive and foolish not to. I seriously not have even heard or a head cook since the 1980s. Maybe early 1990s. Even fast food always has someone supervising the cooking and expediting.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:21 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
I have worked in restaurants for 45 years. Managers are very, very seldom in the kitchen and the kitchen staff is 98% alone with your food. Most will not spit in it but when the food comes back, they are angry and will ignore it until they feel like dealing with it, FACT.
Even if they're clearly at fault? If the customer specifically ordered something with no onions and sent it back because it's swimming in onions (for example,) then kitchen staff can be as petulant as they want but they need to make it right.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 01-31-2014 at 10:29 AM..

Old 01-31-2014, 10:43 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've sent food back a few times. I'm not going to accept something that's inedible. I don't want a replacement. If the kitchen can't produce a decent meal the first time around, I don't want to see what happens in round two.
I am the same way. I will just drink my drink till everyone is done. I don't ever get a replacement and decline any freebie other than not charging me for the dish that was messed up.

I will only send it back for preparation issues. I don't send it back because I didn't like it such as I never had bison and ordered it. Turned out I didn't like it and send it back. I would NEVER do that.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Even if they're clearly at fault? If the customer specifically ordered something with no onions and sent it back because it's swimming in onions (for example,) then kitchen staff can be as petulant as they want but they need to make it right.
That is very common because when a server is taking multiple orders, it is easy to forget to 86 the onions. That is why I'm saying someone spitting in your food just doesn't really happen. Food gets messed up all the time.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:52 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,565,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
That is very common because when a server is taking multiple orders, it is easy to forget to 86 the onions. That is why I'm saying someone spitting in your food just doesn't really happen. Food gets messed up all the time.
Yes is does happen. Just because you have been in the restaurant business for many years and claim it doesn't happen is not fact. It happens all the time. Tick off a cook who is immature or just an a$$ and you can get your food messed with. Too many posters on here confirm what most already know.

Last edited by budlight; 01-31-2014 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink