Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: have you ever sent a food item back to the kitchen to be redone / replaced ?
Yes I have sent something back 106 82.17%
No, I have never sent a food item back 23 17.83%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 12:14 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
The customer is NOT always right. The picky co-worker needs to eat at home, not torment the wait staff. If you're someone who is constantly sending something back, I will comp you maybe once. If you come back and I recognize you, I will quietly let you know that you will neither be seated nor served in my establishment, and exactly why.

I like your attitude.

Years back a local restaurant was packed late at night after an event.
I heard a guy get very vocal because they would not take his chicken back.

Out of the kitchen stormed the owner. Short, muscular guy with a grey crew cut

He got the guy in a full nelson, swept him off his feet and deposited the customer outside the door on the sidewalk.

He then came back in the restaurant and told the people........." this is the third time this guy has done this. If my chicken is so bad, you would think he would quit coming back "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 12:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I have sent food back a few times over the years. But after hearing such horrendous stories of what the kitchen staff may do to the new plate, I stopped sending food back years ago. I simply don't eat it. Then, when the waitperson or cashier asks, "How was everything?" I tell them--and I request to speak to the manager. I don't get ugly about it--I don't yell, make a scene, or insult anyone. I try to do it discreetly. I just firmly state what specifically was wrong with my order. Then I negotiate a discount for the uneaten food, and pay a reduced price for the food I did eat. And--I never complain about a dish/recipe that happens to be different than how I cook it, or prefer it. I only let them know if food that is supposed to be hot was cold, or stale, rancid, had a hair or other non-food object in it, or with meat--if it's undercooked.
this tactic sounds to me like an attempt to reduce the price of your meal. im not sure I believe that you really think that if you politely make a legitimate complaint about your food that someone is going to do something terrible to your food.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:13 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
When you do that, your server "pays" for something out of their control(kitchen competency).
When they comped me my Ahi dinner, I tipped the waitperson on what the whole meal would have cost with the Ahi. It wasn't his fault, and he elevated the problem to a manager, which I appreciated.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-31-2014, 03:03 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,160,231 times
I don't go out that much to eat, when I do it's at the same restaurants that I know and love. I honestly don't remember ever sending my food back...I may have, but I can't recall ever doing it. I think I'd only do it if for whatever reason I absolutely had too. But I tend to go to the same restaurants I've been going to for years and I usually order the same dishes...haven't had an issue.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:35 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,462,863 times
I have never sent my food back at a restaurant. In fact, I can't think of a single instance in all my decades of restaurant patronage that I've knowingly received food that was undercooked or overcooked. I've been very lucky in that regard. I've definitely had bad dishes before at restaurants, but I simply don't return to those establishments. If I ever were served something raw, I probably wouldn't complain. I'd pay for it and just vow to never to return to that restaurant again. I don't like any kind of confrontation, and I don't typically order anything over $10 anyway when I go out. Maybe if it was something expensive I'd say something.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:41 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
When you do that, your server "pays" for something out of their control(kitchen competency).
I am a good tipper (some people think I over-tip). I almost never tip less than 20%--even when the food is unsatisfactory. I know it's not the server's deal. Sheeeesh.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:44 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this tactic sounds to me like an attempt to reduce the price of your meal. im not sure I believe that you really think that if you politely make a legitimate complaint about your food that someone is going to do something terrible to your food.
Nope, not at all. I am not a cheapskate (by any stretch) and not fishing for a meal discount. And yes, I do think there's a high possibility of someone tampering with the replacement food. My mother worked in restaurants and hotels her whole life--she's told me some of the stuff she's seen kitchen staff do to food that comes back to the kitchen from customers. No thank you.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:15 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,669 times
Dive bar/cafe in Phoebus, Virginia I rejected a chicken filet sandwich that was raw in the middle. It came back fully cooked with my bite out of it.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:43 AM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I think a grilled ham and cheese sandwich might benefit from some grilled onions and I would pay double for a good mushroom/anchovy pizza.

I have refused food a couple of times but never wanted a replacement dish - I just notify the waitress at the end of the meal and expect it to be removed from the bill.

BTW - the dishes I returned were all spoiled, rotten green chili (bubbling with fermentation), slimy ham, moldy sliced beef sandwich, rotten shrimp, and chicken that smelled like fish.
Thanks. I need to lose some weight. I'm going to read that sentence a couple of times a day.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:25 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
Dive bar/cafe in Phoebus, Virginia I rejected a chicken filet sandwich that was raw in the middle. It came back fully cooked with my bite out of it.

What's wrong with that ?

I would be more concerned if it came back with a bite out of it that was not my bite .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink