Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: have you ever sent a food item back to the kitchen to be redone / replaced ?
Yes I have sent something back 106 82.17%
No, I have never sent a food item back 23 17.83%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 10:11 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Just curious everyones here experiences and thoughts on this issue
If it's only once in a very long while and because the steak wasn't done (too bloody), that's one thing. But to do it over & over every chance you get is despicable.

Even worse are the assclowns that take it out on their server by not tipping and being ugly about it; the server did not cook your food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 10:28 AM

23,544 posts, read 24,049,201 times
I usually will not, unless it's pretty bad.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
I myself have never done this. Not that the food item did not warrant replacement or whatever. its just that I am not that picky of an eater and can eat just about anything served to me ( be it over spiced or over done or not cooked enough )

I am not a passive personality in any way shape or form ( actually quite the opposite )

I just prefer not to make a scene and will eat my meal and possibly mention it to the server if they check in that I am unhappy with it. But I have never actually sent it back to either be redone or replaced that I can recall.

Maybe because I typically order pretty standard entrees and do not frequent upper end high $$ places where I feel slighted by my $60 meal not being up to snuff so to speak. usually if I am eating out its a $12-15 menu item sitting infront of me ( hardly worth the effort to complain )

I recently ( past few years ) have really been doing the Yelp thing. And reading the reviews I notice its far more common for patrons to send things back to the kitchen than I thought.

Just curious everyones here experiences and thoughts on this issue

Poll added ( can you tell I like polls !! )
Oh heavens yes. Not many times but I have. In fact one of the funniest but certainly not funny at the time happened on a cruise. It was toward the end of a 12 day, Med crossing on a brand new ship. I am sure the chef in the MDR was tired and anxious to get off the ship for a day or two. I ordered my steak rare; it came out almost well done. I did send it back; it did come back rare, with this message from the chef to the wait person to me: I hope it rare enough this time. Well it was rare alright, not even luck warm on the inside, It it hadn't had a slightly different color on the outside than totally raw meat I would say it was raw. I ate it or what I could, I was a bit upset but didn't want to make a scene.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:36 AM

5,868 posts, read 11,930,600 times
Maybe once or twice in my many years of eating out. It usually has to be inedible for me to send it back (and sadly I've gotten a couple like that). One time though we went to a homestyle restaurant that was known for it's large vegetable selection. I was on a keto diet at the time and ordered chicken with a salad and green beans. They brought me pinto beans. I sent it back and it came back with black beans. At that point I was ticked off but hungry enough to just eat the chicken and forego the beans but fortunately the waitress just went to the kitchen and brought me back a bowl of green beans.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:37 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
I've sent back food, but only in fine dining establishments. I've sent back onion soup at an expensive French restaurant because, without exaggeration, it was inedible. Three of the six of us had ordered the soup; not one of us could eat it. It was like drinking hot pepper sauce.

I've also sent back steak that was undercooked -- if I ask for it medium and it comes medium-rare, I'll send it back so they can toss it back on the grill.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:38 AM

8,489 posts, read 6,897,485 times
Couple of weeks ago. Restaurant on the beach. 40 bucks for a prime rib dinner. It was almost all fat and gristle. They cooked up a new one which was not much better. Three meals ordered. No alcoholic beverages. 150 bucks plus tip. Complained again and got a 25 buck gift certificate. We have a lot of seaside restaurants here and the food is almost always mediocre. You pay mostly for the view. Tastier food and reasonable prices at the chain places inland.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:47 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,373,099 times
Quote:
I myself have never done this. Not that the food item did not warrant replacement or whatever. its just that I am not that picky of an eater and can eat just about anything served to me ( be it over spiced or over done or not cooked enough )

I am not a passive personality in any way shape or form ( actually quite the opposite )

I just prefer not to make a scene and will eat my meal and possibly mention it to the server if they check in that I am unhappy with it. But I have never actually sent it back to either be redone or replaced that I can recall.
I have. I didn't like the dish, but that's not why. I sent it back because the center of the chicken breast was still raw. As in, uncooked. I believe the breast was not thawed before being cooked so it didn't cook through. This is beyond a matter of personal preference: it's a health risk. I asked the waitress to replace it with a different selection. I should have just walked out and found a different restaurant.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
I went to a highly recommended restaurant that I though was overpriced based on the atmosphere. I ordered chicken something or another and it came out beautifully presented. The only issue was that they didn't put it in the oven to cook. That has happened to me twice. Once at this restaurant and again in another state. It happens. It was a simple mistake I believe and although I haven't been back nor will I, that wasn't the reason. I believe that the food there is probably pretty descent.
What, what, WHAT? They put a piece of RAW chicken on the plate, made it look pretty, and served it to you? Omg.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:59 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Couple of weeks ago. Restaurant on the beach. 40 bucks for a prime rib dinner. It was almost all fat and gristle. They cooked up a new one which was not much better. Three meals ordered. No alcoholic beverages. 150 bucks plus tip. Complained again and got a 25 buck gift certificate. We have a lot of seaside restaurants here and the food is almost always mediocre. You pay mostly for the view. Tastier food and reasonable prices at the chain places inland.

Ain't that the truth. I worked at an upscale place with a spectacular view---people's jaws would drop. Even though they fancied themselves a "steak grill" they couldn't cook steaks worth beans. Every shift I had several sent back. Either undercooked or overcooked. Same with their "special" prime rib. Most customers didn't blame me, but a few nasty ones did. The only things I've sent back myself were under or over-cooked steaks....

I wonder if it's 'cause they let go the chefs with culinary school background who were proud of their work, (using their own thermometers and knives) and hired the dishwasher's immigrant relatives for cooks? Cost-cutting, maybe? They knew people would still come for the view!

Old 10-27-2017, 12:10 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Ain't that the truth. I worked at an upscale place with a spectacular view---people's jaws would drop. Even though they fancied themselves a "steak grill" they couldn't cook steaks worth beans. Every shift I had several sent back. Either undercooked or overcooked. Same with their "special" prime rib. Most customers didn't blame me, but a few nasty ones did. The only things I've sent back myself were under or over-cooked steaks....

I wonder if it's 'cause they let go the chefs with culinary school background who were proud of their work, (using their own thermometers and knives) and hired the dishwasher's immigrant relatives for cooks? Cost-cutting, maybe? They knew people would still come for the view!
Sadly that is far more common than most people think at some of the 'nicer' restaurants

Here in the Seattle area we have a specialty seafood restaurant ( there are a handful - maybe 4-5 or so in the chain ) Always located on the waterfront ( its Seattle duh ) and they are kinda spendy as dinner for 2 without drinks would run close to $100 bucks or so ( I call that expensive )

its called Anthonys Homeport for those local or curious. I have ate at the one in Edmonds and Everett at least close to a dozen times and I have given up on them. Tried seafood - tried steaks and pastas and its the Fail Boat every time.

Portions are small and everythings just seems off as far as taste.

If I order an appetizer of Dungeness crab cakes that are $20 on the menu and you bring just 2 scrawny crab cakes to the table. I do not expect them to be 90% filler. there should actually be some Dungeness crab in them or maybe make the appetizer 3-4 of them vs just 2.

I have tried their salmon dishes - halibut dishes ( halibut was a laugher as I think my portion was around 4 ozs - maybe 5 bites if that ) entrée was around $35 bucks or so - seriously ? )

its all about 'the view' I guess ... or people just like being seen there.

Edited to add funny story on the Edmonds Anthonys homeport

Was maybe 20yrs ago and had dinner in the bar due to no reservation and super busy night. Was just a casual type date so I was OK with the small table in the bar - had no view... but its a nice place

Anyhow ... bill comes after dinner and I kinda glance at it and see its at least triple what it should have been. bill was over $300 bucks and we just had dinner for 2 and maybe 3-4 cocktails between us. I quickly figured out there was like 2 bottles of wine added onto to our bill and figured it would be a simple fix for even the dumbest waitress on the planet. My date and I did not have any wine ( much less 2 bottles )

Turned into a big fiasco ( the waitresses fault ) - I guess the table next to us had drank the 2 bottles and they had already left and maybe their bill did not reflect their wine. Anyhow the waitress is making a scene ( uncalled for ) myself I could have cared less, but my date was getting alittle embarrassed so I walked up to the bar / waitress area - cash register to clear it up quickly ( so I thought ) - I kid you not, this dumb tuna of a waitress thought I would be OK with the bill if she removed 1 of the bottles of wine off the total ?? Seriously !!

I guess the dummy waitress thought my date and I and the couple sitting at the adjacent table were together, as we had a little small talk between us on occasion and maybe she got that idea somehow ??

I got the restaurant mgr over there and he fixed things stat and then I promptly got exact change from the bartender ( flipped the bartender a quick $10 spot if I remember correctly ) and left rounded to $1 higher at the table exact funds of the correct bill and ZERO tip - the waitress is throwing a hissy fit thinking I stiffed her. it was a total s/hit show ! I kinda felt like maybe was one of those hidden camera TV shows it was so hilareous

that's why when I go out to eat these days I will frequent the known places with great food - good service and fair pricing.

Last edited by StrkAliteN; 10-27-2017 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink