Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: have you ever sent a food item back to the kitchen to be redone / replaced ?
Yes I have sent something back 106 82.17%
No, I have never sent a food item back 23 17.83%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:57 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,816,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You must have been in some pretty shabby places. I've never, ever known of a restaurant that didn't have at least one manager in the kitchen at ALL times whether it be the EC, KM, AKM or floor supe.

Restaurants without someone of authority in the kitchen at all times spell disaster and financial ruin. No wonder you've seen people act horribly towards someone's dinner.
My Mom, Aunts and Grandfather all have owned/managed restaurants for years and it's not the norm to have a manager in the kitchen at all times. Are you perhaps not in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 10:59 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,247 times
I am certainly not a picky eater, but two things I will not tolerate..........cold food or a wrong order.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:59 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
One of my co-worker frequently sends food back. He ordered steak and it was too pink for him so they made it more well and then he sends it back saying it's too dry and no seasoning. He sent the creamed spinach back because he said it was too oily. This is coming from a guy who prefers dominoes pizza over other places.

I think restaurants should have a black list, some people should be on the list and banned from entering.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:03 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,561,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
One of my co-worker frequently sends food back. He ordered steak and it was too pink for him so they made it more well and then he sends it back saying it's too dry and no seasoning. He sent the creamed spinach back because he said it was too oily. This is coming from a guy who prefers dominoes pizza over other places.

I think restaurants should have a black list, some people should be on the list and banned from entering.
I don't even want to know what has been in your picky coworkers food.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:04 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,247 times
Quote:

I do agree with your last sentence.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:22 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,009 times
The customer is NOT always right. The picky co-worker needs to eat at home, not torment the wait staff. If you're someone who is constantly sending something back, I will comp you maybe once. If you come back and I recognize you, I will quietly let you know that you will neither be seated nor served in my establishment, and exactly why.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:29 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,665 times
Quote:

While I think you're entitled to receive the food you ordered to your preference, this is far too much. Cooks/chefs should be skilled, but not psychic.

I rarely order creamed spinach while at a restaurant for the simple reason that I prefer my creamed spinach with far less cream than is usual in restaurant version of the dish. I far prefer my homemade version 97% of the time, so I don't even bother in restaurants. I would never order creamed spinach then complain it had too much cream.

It never fails to surprise me how many people expect restaurants to cook meals exactly how they would cook them in their own kitchen, then get upset when that doesn't happen. If you're that attached to your homemade versions, then save yourself the cash and annoyance of the staff and just cook the dish at home!

Old 01-31-2014, 11:48 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,113 times
I have sent food back a few times over the years. But after hearing such horrendous stories of what the kitchen staff may do to the new plate, I stopped sending food back years ago. I simply don't eat it. Then, when the waitperson or cashier asks, "How was everything?" I tell them--and I request to speak to the manager. I don't get ugly about it--I don't yell, make a scene, or insult anyone. I try to do it discreetly. I just firmly state what specifically was wrong with my order. Then I negotiate a discount for the uneaten food, and pay a reduced price for the food I did eat. And--I never complain about a dish/recipe that happens to be different than how I cook it, or prefer it. I only let them know if food that is supposed to be hot was cold, or stale, rancid, had a hair or other non-food object in it, or with meat--if it's undercooked.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:02 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
A head cook? In what decade the 1980s? Restaurants now all run with someone of authority in the kitchen. Most likely the EC, SC, KM, or AKM. It is too expensive and foolish not to. I seriously not have even heard or a head cook since the 1980s. Maybe early 1990s. Even fast food always has someone supervising the cooking and expediting.
Sorry but you just don't get around very much.
I work where food is made fresh and many times from scratch. There is always a main cook who prepares soups, sauces, home made pasta's, etc. He is in charge of ordering all ingredients and would never be bothered with some hired kitchen manager who doesn't even know how to cook.

Of course a chain restaurant will probably have a kitchen manager but that is why I would never eat at a chain restaurant, let alone work there.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:07 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I stopped sending food back years ago. I simply don't eat it. Then, when the waitperson or cashier asks, "How was everything?" I tell them--and I request to speak to the manager. I don't get ugly about it--I don't yell, make a scene, or insult anyone. I try to do it discreetly. I just firmly state what specifically was wrong with my order. Then I negotiate a discount for the uneaten food, and pay a reduced price for the food I did eat.
When you do that, your server "pays" for something out of their control(kitchen competency).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink