Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 05:21 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,812 times

Advertisements

My favorite? Cheesecake Factory. Why? Good food. Great deserts.

I am not a huge fan of chains either, but I think the idea of the thread is "if you had to eat at one where would you eat?"

So, if I had to, that would be the one. Or Chipolte. But that's more fast food than chain. IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 06:04 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
To that end, perhaps at that moment in time, your friend felt more comfortable eating familiar food, rather than venturing outside the box. Nothing wrong in that. Many foreigners come to the US & continue to eat their own familiar foods, yet the PC don't criticize. Eat what you like... always.
I just cannot comprehend going halfway around the world, to a place that you will likely never have the opportunity to experience again, and not even TRYING something new. Even if you try it and decide you don't like it, at least try something other than 18 straight meals from McDonalds.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:20 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
^^^^^I agree. I see it as an adventure.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:01 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I just cannot comprehend going halfway around the world, to a place that you will likely never have the opportunity to experience again, and not even TRYING something new. Even if you try it and decide you don't like it, at least try something other than 18 straight meals from McDonalds.
Haha. Well, neither can I... you're preaching to the choir. I'd try everything, then settle on what I liked. But, there is more to cultural experience than food. My point was, if it's your $, buy what you like, even if you just want a cheeseburger in Paris... not everyone is gastronomically adventurous. I've had friends in that category... they annoyed me when choosing a dinner place... but, they outnumbered me, so if I wanted to try a Tibetan or Ethiopian restaurant, they were the last I'd call.

Honestly, if I had to eat 18 meals in a row from any one place, I'm sure I'd strongly dislike it after that time.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:20 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
which one do you think is the best? The cleanest, most interesting, most reliably good, or decent food?
And, why?
Moe's, because it's clean, reliably good, their salsas are delish, they don't mind if you heap the veggies on your Funkmeister Taco to the extent that the soft-shell tortilla practically disintegrates before they can get it into the dine-in basket, and their chips are made fresh several times every day and are only very very lightly salted. I hate salted chips - I like all the flavoring to be in the salsa. Plus, if you ask them, they'll give you a paper bag with extra chips in it and let you fill up a few containers of salsa to go, for free after you've finished your dine-in meal.

Mine is always the Funkmeister with marinated skirt-steak (just a few chunks) they grill up fresh a few times every day, added to it: extra pinto beans, jack and cheddar shredded cheese, black olives, pico de gallo, jalapeno peppers, and cilantro. Soft-shell. Plus all the chips I can eat *and* stuff into a to-go bag. For $4.85.

-----------

Wood'n'Tap, which is a local chain of mid-scale restaurants. Their customer service is awesome. Their side salad is awesome, their blue cheese dressing is awesome. Their chicken is great, salmon excellent, bathrooms spotless and some of them are kinda cool (one of their locations has this funky industrial-type bathroom with copper stall doors and a copper trough sink and metallic silver wall tiles).

-------------

Mammoun's Falafel Restaurant - it's base store is in New York somewhere, they have just a few locations, including the one I dine in, which is in New Haven

My sister loves their eggplant dishes (I don't eat eggplant, it's a texture thing). I always get one of two choices: the hummus plate and hot cardamom tea (black, unsweetened), or falafel in a pita with lettuce, tomato, and their home-made tahini. And hot cardamom tea, of course. Sometimes for dessert I'll get some of their home-made halavah with pistachios.

OP: What's YOURS? I noticed you asked this of others, but didn't offer your own entries.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:22 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Moe's, because it's clean, reliably good, their salsas are delish, they don't mind if you heap the veggies on your Funkmeister Taco to the extent that the soft-shell tortilla practically disintegrates before they can get it into the dine-in basket, and their chips are made fresh several times every day and are only very very lightly salted. I hate salted chips - I like all the flavoring to be in the salsa. Plus, if you ask them, they'll give you a paper bag with extra chips in it and let you fill up a few containers of salsa to go, for free after you've finished your dine-in meal.

Mine is always the Funkmeister with marinated skirt-steak (just a few chunks) they grill up fresh a few times every day, added to it: extra pinto beans, jack and cheddar shredded cheese, black olives, pico de gallo, jalapeno peppers, and cilantro. Soft-shell. Plus all the chips I can eat *and* stuff into a to-go bag. For $4.85.
Um, I always thought I hated Moe's, but your description of your taco sounds unreal. Moe's has always been my least-favorite of the build your own burrito/taco places, but now I'm tempted to give them another try.

Between this and the Ruby Tuesday's I said I was going to give another try on a different thread, this is apparently going to be the weekend of chain restaurants...

Old 02-27-2014, 08:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
which one do you think is the best? The cleanest, most interesting, most reliably good, or decent food?
And, why?
wow, I guess it depends on what I am in the mood for: we are really not into chains except when we travel. Then we do use them cause we pretty much know what to expect. When we do stop for lunch, I guess Panera's. I like their salads and their bread. We also like Bone Fish a couple times a year and even Outback, again, just a few times a year. I have to admit, we stopped at Popeye's the other day and cheated, but it was really good. I think it is the first time we have done that in years. Generally if we eat out we like independently owned restaurants.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Any number of them; I particularly like Houlihan's, Bertucci's for pizza and salad, California Pizza Kitchen, Panera.

Fast food I'd pick Boston Market, Sonic or Five Guys.
you know we tried 5 Guys for the first time when our daughter was in the hospital last month. We were not at all impressed. I think, like so many places they seem to be a love or hate chain. We did like the fries, but there were way too many. We don't have a Boston Market, but it used to be one of our favorites. We have a Houlihan's here now, we haven't tried it, but have heard good things about their food. Someone mentioned Carrabbas, we only ate there once, I thought it was very good. The ones that I think are really lacking in any true food quality are: Red Lobster, Chilis and Olive Garden plus Applebees. I know food is subjective, but I want to think there is, at least a little quality in my choice. I think a lot has to do with what type of food we eat at home and whether our daily home cooked meals lean to plain home cooking or lean toward the gourmet side.

Last edited by nmnita; 02-27-2014 at 08:45 AM..

Old 02-27-2014, 09:00 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,151,683 times
I love Red Robin
Olive Garden-I don't care I'm Italian too, but I love their bread sticks and salad.
Chili's-I used to hate, but have to admit it's gotten much better.
TGIF-Good salad bar
The outback-Love their bread

For cheaper options:

Love me some Wedny's.
I like Burger King because they aren't greasy like Mc'D's.
I also like Taco bell. Mighty Taco if you are in Buffalo.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:05 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,151,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you know we tried 5 Guys for the first time when our daughter was in the hospital last month. We were not at all impressed. I think, like so many places they seem to be a love or hate chain. We did like the fries, but there were way too many. We don't have a Boston Market, but it used to be one of our favorites. We have a Houlihan's here now, we haven't tried it, but have heard good things about their food. Someone mentioned Carrabbas, we only ate there once, I thought it was very good. The ones that I think are really lacking in any true food quality are: Red Lobster, Chilis and Olive Garden plus Applebees. I know food is subjective, but I want to think there is, at least a little quality in my choice. I think a lot has to do with what type of food we eat at home and whether our daily home cooked meals lean to plain home cooking or lean toward the gourmet side.

I hear you, I honestly hate Five guys too, and I will tell you why.

Their burgers are greasy as hel l and highly over-rated. I can get just as good a burger at Wendy's.
They are overpriced.
I hate their fries. I like Mc'donald type fries. Smaller ones. Their big fat fries are awful IMO.
I hate the ambiance. It has to be the worst of all franchises. The seats are right on top of each other. You can hear anyone's conversation, and they can hear yours. I hate all the yelling about orders that they do. Very loud and very annoying. I've been there twice and I would not go back. Very over-rated in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink