Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 07:53 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times

Advertisements

Outback
Applebees
Humphrey's/Sanford's
Quiznos
Wendys
Dairy Queen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 08:03 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
This reminds me of an incident I witnessed near New York's Time Square about a year ago when I was visiting my favorite uncle. A family of tourists from either the midwest or the south were obviously sightseeing and Mom said "it's supper time and I'm hungry." Dad replied "me, too, let's see if we can find an Appleby's or an Olive Garden!"

Old 02-25-2014, 08:08 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
I used to like Marie Calendar's but the two locations closest to me closed. (There are still other locations somewhat farther away). Reasons: Pretty good soup and salad bar plus a reasonable variety of other choices.

Souplantation is good: high quality, fresh ingredients for an extensive soup and salad bar with enough other choices such as baked potatoes, different kinds of muffins, and a few desert-like options such as frozen yogurt.

I like Olive Garden for the all-you-can-eat salad or soup choice that goes with all the entrées. I like to eat a lot (meaning large quantities) and the salad is really good - not just lettuce with dressing but also tomatoes, red onions, olives, and other things.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
which one do you think is the best? The cleanest, most interesting, most reliably good, or decent food?
And, why?
Always Carrabbas or Outback The food is made fresh everyday, on premises, no microwaves and no pre-made Sysco garbage

Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,581 times
I'm a big fan of Macaroni Grill. Good food and drink, consistent quality, doesn't taste frozen - A+! Outback is surprisingly good, too. Not bad food.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
On the lower end of the price spectrum:
Chipotle (my go-to place, I probably eat there 3-4 times a month)
Jason's Deli (excellent salad bar, I'd go there more often if it was closer to my house)
Panera (reliable stand-by for soup +)
Einstein's Bagels (wrap sandwiches are excellent, to me the coffee is much better than Starbucks)

On the higher end
Firebirds (my fave, not only good food but great service and attractive space, every out-of-towner I've taken there has loved it)
BJ's Brewhouse (big menu for groups with varied tastes and picky eaters)
Macaroni Grill (young people in my family always want to go there)
Cheesecake Factory (usually pleases everyone, humungous servings ... I take home more than I eat)
California Pizza Kitchen (expensive for pizza but it's a nice experience and I like the meal salads as much as the pizza)

A new (to me) chain I discovered recently that I like:
Kneaders Bakery and Cafe (only in Idaho, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona right now ... franchise opportunities available, hint, hint)
https://kneaders.com/

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 02-25-2014 at 08:27 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 08:34 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
This reminds me of an incident I witnessed near New York's Time Square about a year ago when I was visiting my favorite uncle. A family of tourists from either the midwest or the south were obviously sightseeing and Mom said "it's supper time and I'm hungry." Dad replied "me, too, let's see if we can find an Appleby's or an Olive Garden!"

Doesn't surprise me in the least and reminds me of my late father. When I traveled abroad the first couple of times, he asked me if they had a McDonalds where I was going (as if it was some kind of sign of a civilization safe for his daughter?!?) That began a tradition. No matter where I went in the world I would take a picture of a McDonalds for my Dad. My traveling companions always thought this was hilarious and would take the photo of me, posing in front of MickeyD's, waving to Dad.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:43 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
Fleming's
Morton's
CPK
Lucille's
In N Out
Daphne's

Those are about the only chain restaurants at which I'd be willing to dine. Everyplace else gets their food from Sysco (or worse). Who knows, if I find out any of the above also get theirs from Sysco, they are off my list too. Won't faze me since I prepare practically all the food we eat.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:43 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,199,992 times
Chipotle, Chili's, Outback Steakhouse, Johnny Carino's; and the El Torito in Monterey if only for the beautiful view right on the water (not the other ET's).

Old 02-25-2014, 08:50 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,701 times
We usually avoid chains because so much of the food looks like something I could have bought frozen at the grocery store. I can reheat my own frozen meals, you know?
That being said, we like Outback and Texas Roadhouse, because they can't (I don't think) precook a steak. We also eat at Panera, In-N-Out, Chipotle, and sometimes Pei Wei.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink