Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:09 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

I've had prosciutto at Italian restaurants as an appetizer and loved it.

I then had some I bought with my other weekly Boars Head cold cuts, and it made me gag.

I guess I only like the good stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:28 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
My first experience with it was at a cooking class where they made chicken saltimbocca. I loved it so much, I made up my own recipe using prosciutto inside a stuffed chicken breast. My sister came to visit and I told her I was going to make it for her and she said she had a similar recipe and would make her verison for me. What she did was amazing. She wrapped the prosciutto on the outside of some boneless things and sauteed in a pan. The prosciutto magically sticks to the chicken and you get this kind of crispy effect. It is pricey so I don't buy it often but I usually buy the prepackaged slices. I wouldn't trust the HEB to slice it thin enough for my preference.

Last edited by Moonlady; 05-23-2014 at 09:56 AM..

Old 05-23-2014, 09:39 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
The downstairs kitchen of my grandparents' house always had salami, pepperoni, prosciutto, provolone, and garlic hanging on the back wall. There was a barrel or two of vino fermenting in the back room.

If I think about it real hard, I can smell it right now.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:00 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
The downstairs kitchen of my grandparents' house always had salami, pepperoni, prosciutto, provolone, and garlic hanging on the back wall. There was a barrel or two of vino fermenting in the back room.

If I think about it real hard, I can smell it right now.
Garlic? Wine!?
What snobs

Old 05-23-2014, 10:14 AM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Mmmm, prosciutto and provolone stuffed cherry peppers lightly seasoned with olive oil and sea salt roasted on a grill along side stuffed shrimp with a nice cold Scottish Ale. Mmmmm...

Old 05-23-2014, 10:38 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Mmm, prosciutto. The reason it's so expensive is the long curing process. It taste a lot like country ham to me, just sliced very thin.
Prosciutto (which I like) is not like country ham(which I don't like) at all. Differnet texture, not near as salty.....about all they have in common is that they are dry cured.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:46 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Prosciutto (which I like) is not like country ham(which I don't like) at all. Differnet texture, not near as salty.....about all they have in common is that they are dry cured.
And they're are both ham.

The taste is similar to me. I know they are different, though.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:10 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Speck (if anyone is wondering) is pretty much the same thing as well.

I actually love Prosciutto. My wife and I will get some along with some other salami, cheese and crackers, and call that dinner.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:12 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
What snobs

No doubt.

I'm sure my grandfather felt particularly snobbish when he was on the other side of that wall, in the garage part of the basement, standing under the shower head in the corner so he could wash off all of the coal dust before coming into the house.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:21 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Speck (if anyone is wondering) is pretty much the same thing as well.

I actually love Prosciutto. My wife and I will get some along with some other salami, cheese and crackers, and call that dinner.
Speck, unlike prosciutto, is smoked. (Some more than others.) There's also Schinkenspeck.

On Schinkenspeck - Schaller & Weber

My sincere advice to the prosciutto eating public: Get the best prosciutto you can afford, have it sliced razor thin, and whatever you do, do NOT trim off the fat; the fat is as much a part of the experience as the lean. You can try wrapping fresh fig halves in prosciutto. Wash it down with a nice off-dry Riesling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink