Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 04:24 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Only in Maine!

mbm, I have family in Nova Scotia. When visiting there a few years ago, we had a great lobster dinner (my uncle had gone to some local dock that morning to pick up lobsters the fishermen brought in with their daily catch).

Apparently, it's very common for people on the east coast to eat EVERY part of the lobster, including the yucky-looking parts like the "tomalley" (digestive tract) and the roe (unfertilized eggs). Do you eat those parts?
lobsters are my favorite meal!! in hot butter

ive eaten thousands of them , im surprised I haven't grown a claw!! or an antenna! (I do get red in the sun)

my father is a lobster-fisherman off the coast of maine, so I grew up on his boat, and we use to work long days and eat lobsters/crabs/fish every day out on the boat
and our family gathering were having lobsterbakes, (lobsters,steamer clams, mackerel,corn) all cooked in seaweed over a fire, gives it a great smokey flavor

we could have all you can eat, I hold the family record, of 14 lobsters (without getting sick)
my brother had 10, my brother in law from rhode island had 11

that was 20 yrs ago, I only have 5-7 now

yes,, I do eat the legs,,and the tomale
not the roe (eggs) or brains

nova scotia is a lot like maine,,,and people talk funny from there,,,just like maine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 04:52 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
lo
my father is a lobster-fisherman off the coast of maine, so I grew up on his boat, and we use to work long days and eat lobsters/crabs/fish every day out on the boat
and our family gathering were having lobsterbakes, (lobsters,steamer clams, mackerel,corn) all cooked in seaweed over a fire, gives it a great smokey flavor

we could have all you can eat, I hold the family record, of 14 lobsters (without getting sick)
my brother had 10, my brother in law from rhode island had 11

nova scotia is a lot like maine,,,and people talk funny from there,,,just like maine
Ah, you make life in Maine sound so great. I've often thought I could live in NS, too. If it just weren't for those dang winters...

Old 08-30-2014, 05:27 PM

7,634 posts, read 8,699,793 times
Quote:
ive eaten thousands of them , im surprised I haven't grown a claw!! or an antenna! (I do get red in the sun)

Next time give those who watch you having lunch live lobster claws (or crab claws)

Would be fun if all those who bring their own lunch bring such delicious rare treats. Fast food restaurants would lose business.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:12 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Ah, you make life in Maine sound so great. I've often thought I could live in NS, too. If it just weren't for those dang winters...
that's why most kids are born in the fall, a good woman will provide warmth in the winter and shade in the summer

winters aren't so bad,, you get use to them...

Old 08-30-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
that's why most kids are born in the fall, a good woman will provide warmth in the winter and shade in the summer

winters aren't so bad,, you get use to them...
LOL.

Oh, I'm used to winters; I've lived in Canada and Michigan. But I can't do them anymore. As much as I loved living in the North, Nashville's as far north as I'm going.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:43 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Rather than packing a lunch or bringing leftovers I have a rice cooker at work. I keep a large bag of jasmine or basmati rice and cartons of vegetable broth in the cabinet in the break room. Then I bring in fresh vegetables and herbs to prepare easy, tasty lunches.

I use a Lunch Blox cooler with ice packs to keep my veggies fresh until I add to the rice cooker.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:06 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Partridge Family lunch box with thermos full of grape Koolaid.

Bologna and mustard sandwich on wonder bread.

apple

Lays potato chips in a baggie.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:36 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
When the weather is cold and rainy (like, 9 months out of the year where I live) I bring homemade soup in a thermos. It is filling and healthy and relaxing to enjoy on my lunch break. Sometimes I'll pack a nice chunk of bread or a few slices of hearty sourdough to have with the soup.

When the weather is warm, I usually pack a sandwich or cold soba noodle salad or some other type of salad. I have an insulated lunch bag with a zipper that I use to keep the cold lunches cold.

Also, I always keep healthy snacks with me... in my lunch bag or in my purse. Almonds, walnuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit, trail mix, etc.

And a glass water bottle. I don't like how water tastes in plastic or metal/stainless steel, so I found a really cool reusable glass water bottle that I keep with me. Sometimes I put sliced cucumber or sliced lemon or sometimes even herbs in the water to flavor it. I have found that I drink a lot more water when I actually like how the water tastes! Duh.

When the weather is cold, in addition to my water bottle, I also have a thermos for tea or hot lemon water. Yum.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Rather than packing a lunch or bringing leftovers I have a rice cooker at work. I keep a large bag of jasmine or basmati rice and cartons of vegetable broth in the cabinet in the break room. Then I bring in fresh vegetables and herbs to prepare easy, tasty lunches.

I use a Lunch Blox cooler with ice packs to keep my veggies fresh until I add to the rice cooker.
This is a great idea.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:02 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
I have an insulated lunch bag and pack lunch everyday. I only get about 20 minutes for lunch so by the time I leave, get food and come back lunch is over. It's not worth it to go home or out. The only exception would be during an in-service, where we typically get an hour for lunch.

I usually pack the same thing everyday:
-main entree' (usually it's a garden salad, or occasionally leftovers or soup)
-raw veggies and hummus
-piece of fruit
-nuts or hard cheese
-kashi bar

I don't eat it all at lunch time. I'm there from 7:30 - 6:00 most days so the kashi bars is breakfast and the veggies and nuts are saved for an after-school snack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink