Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:53 AM

38,897 posts, read 22,885,731 times

Advertisements

I'm not a Starbucks fan but will go in there once in a great while to get their hot cocoa or frappuccino drinks.

As others have mentioned, I think their appeal to so many is that they're ubiquitous and you know what to expect, no matter which one you go to. The one near me is a drive-thru that used to be a McDonald's. There's always a LONG line of cars wrapped around the building and the parking lot (that has less than 15 spaces) is always full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 09:55 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
I have no freakin' idea. It's bizarre, because the coffee is awful. Just awful! It does, however, seem to be the neighborhood hangout around here, and the high schoolers love the place, maybe because of the free wifi. Catch 'em young, I suppose, so they get hooked and never know any better. I have an after-dinner coffee once in a great while at a French restaurant in town. They know how to make excellent coffee! It's a delicious treat and has spoiled me forever.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-26-2015 at 11:00 AM..

Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 AM

31,052 posts, read 22,086,243 times
I'm a Star Bucks user. Couple, three times a month. I go there because overall, it's Good, but not great, consistant, clean, although it is overpriced. I have rarely ever had what I would call 'Great' coffee, but when I have it's been a mom and pop shop.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 AM

33 posts, read 35,850 times
Starbucks is just one of those things I don't understand in society. Part of it is that I don't drink coffee but also it's pretentiousness.

I just don't understand how people who say Walmart is some evil corporation go to Starbuck's. What about all those "mom and pop" ( I absolutely hate this term) coffee shops its putting out of business?

Then there are those who talk about how unhealthy McDonald's yet guzzle down sugar charged caffeinated beverages that I'm guessing are much worse for you then a hamburger and some fries.

Their whole business model is based on hypocritical "sheeple" who get some sort of ego trip by going there.

I have never gone to a Starbucks and have no plans to. The world would be a better place without it.

End rant.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:58 AM

822 posts, read 1,284,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
Let me say that I have never had a cup of coffee in my life, BUT I spend too much time and too much money at Starbucks, mostly on tea drinks, but on occasional sweets or sandwiches.

So why can you walk 3 blocks from nearly anywhere in Manhattan and find a Starbucks?
Why not get addicted to any of the cheaper options, instead of the ridiculous Starbucks prices?
Why pay nearly the price of a gallon of milk or two gallons of gas for a cup of coffee at Starbucks, when you have so many options to shop for coffee drinks at a fraction of the cost, and put up with usually ridiculously long lines and the restroom lines are longer than the service lines?

I am stumped. I don't even know why I go, yet I do.

WHY, WHY, WHY?
Herd mentality. Perception of quality. Purchasing prestige.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:22 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
I just love it when I ask some people why Starbucks coffee taste bad and they said it taste burnt.

The burnt taste is a darker and richer roast that Europeans love. It's not even close to Greek or Turkish coffee which taste like charcoal.

You can always ask Starbucks to give you a milder brew like Pike or Blonde roast.

Dark Roast taste great cold, while milder roast taste better warm. That's my preference.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:27 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR25 View Post
Starbucks is just one of those things I don't understand in society. Part of it is that I don't drink coffee but also it's pretentiousness.

I just don't understand how people who say Walmart is some evil corporation go to Starbuck's. What about all those "mom and pop" ( I absolutely hate this term) coffee shops its putting out of business?

Then there are those who talk about how unhealthy McDonald's yet guzzle down sugar charged caffeinated beverages that I'm guessing are much worse for you then a hamburger and some fries.

Their whole business model is based on hypocritical "sheeple" who get some sort of ego trip by going there.

I have never gone to a Starbucks and have no plans to. The world would be a better place without it.

End rant.
I'm glad I won't have to see you there or explain to you anything about coffee.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:44 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Starbucks coffee is better than what you'll get at a gas station or doughnut shop and you have more options. It's really as simple as that. Why pay 89 cents for a lousy coffee at the gas station on my way to work when I can stop in to Starbucks and get something much better for $2.99 and get a relatively healthy and tasty snack to tide me over until lunch? It's the combination of convenience and reliable quality.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:46 AM

50,377 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I don't like their coffee. I don't like their prices. I don't like the herd mentality of the people who go there. I don't like the pretentiousness of having to call their sizes something in Italian. It's as if people think going there makes them some kind of insider ("ooooh, he always remembers my name").
A person I worked with who was always complaining how poor she was, would spend about $8-$10 at Starbucks every morning. We had free coffee in the office, but she got off on being one of the cool kids.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:50 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
Why not get addicted to any of the cheaper options, instead of the ridiculous Starbucks prices?
Why pay nearly the price of a gallon of milk or two gallons of gas for a cup of coffee at Starbucks, when you have so many options to shop for coffee drinks at a fraction of the cost, and put up with usually ridiculously long lines and the restroom lines are longer than the service lines?
Absolutely, Starbucks is definitely overpriced and overrated. I can easily count the number of times in my life that I've set foot in a Starbucks. It makes me wonder if being a Starbucks patron is seen by some people as a kind of status symbol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink