Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 09:03 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Can they afford it? If so what's the problem with putting a tenderloin on the grill?
They can afford it once in awhile, but I think its wasteful if that is the only kind of beef they ever buy. Don't worry, I keep my opinion to myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 09:35 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
I'm one of those people who intrinsically knows what ingredients go with each other how to present a dish. I rely on recipes online sometimes for ideas or the best way to do something,things I maybe wouldn't think of.
I have friends that are complete opposite. It's like they have no idea what to mix together without the aid of a recipe. They get so stressed out about following it to a T. I think when you have yo do this to cook a meal it becomes a chore and laborious. A lot of.this is what separates those with a passion for cooking and those who burn bread.
I always say I'm a great cook but a bad baker. With baking all those ingredients and measurements have to be right. I don't enjoy cooking like that either. I can whip up a quiche that would make you slap your grandma while ruining a pot of white rice.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I'm one of those people who intrinsically knows what ingredients go with each other how to present a dish. I rely on recipes online sometimes for ideas or the best way to do something,things I maybe wouldn't think of.
I have friends that are complete opposite. It's like they have no idea what to mix together without the aid of a recipe. They get so stressed out about following it to a T. I think when you have yo do this to cook a meal it becomes a chore and laborious. A lot of.this is what separates those with a passion for cooking and those who burn bread.
I always say I'm a great cook but a bad baker. With baking all those ingredients and measurements have to be right. I don't enjoy cooking like that either. I can whip up a quiche that would make you slap your grandma while ruining a pot of white rice.
That's me: I am not a horrible baker, but it isn't something I love to do and I wasn't raised with a lot of desserts. Spoiled brat was. They had it every night. I have a few special recipes I love to make and really good, but basically my talent is in the cooking not the baking.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:58 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
They can afford it once in awhile, but I think its wasteful if that is the only kind of beef they ever buy. Don't worry, I keep my opinion to myself.
Wasteful? Do they throw the left-overs away? Buying decent cuts of meat is not wasteful....buying cheap cuts is not always frugel.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:37 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Wasteful? Do they throw the left-overs away? Buying decent cuts of meat is not wasteful....buying cheap cuts is not always frugel.
I give up.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:29 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I don't know. I generally cook entirely from recipes because that works for me. For me, cooking is a science rather than an art. I'm not one of those people who can wander around the farmers market and compose a meal in my head based on what's available. A recipe takes the guesswork out of things. You go to the store and get the listed ingredients, you come home and follow the directions. It's the opposite of a chore, because it's practically foolproof. Which isn't to say that I can't make anything without directions or that I'm a slave to the recipe, but the thought of having to make dinner without any sort of guidance makes me twitchy.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:51 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
All you comments will be answered by watching "Master Chef": junior, that is.
Neither I nor Gordon Ramsey can believe what these nine years olds are doing.

The winner of the first seasons' mom stated he just does it.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:22 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That's me: I am not a horrible baker, but it isn't something I love to do and I wasn't raised with a lot of desserts. Spoiled brat was. They had it every night. I have a few special recipes I love to make and really good, but basically my talent is in the cooking not the baking.
Me too. Unless it's cornbread, I don't bake anything because I really don't eat things like pies and cakes to begin with. There are some things that I make often enough where I don't need a recipe and I don't worry about measuring things just right, but now I am trying to branch out and incorporate some ingredients that I have never encountered before (things like different grains, types of beans, etc.) This should be interesting.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:57 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't know. I generally cook entirely from recipes because that works for me. For me, cooking is a science rather than an art. I'm not one of those people who can wander around the farmers market and compose a meal in my head based on what's available. A recipe takes the guesswork out of things. You go to the store and get the listed ingredients, you come home and follow the directions. It's the opposite of a chore, because it's practically foolproof. Which isn't to say that I can't make anything without directions or that I'm a slave to the recipe, but the thought of having to make dinner without any sort of guidance makes me twitchy.
I plan every meal based around the random ingredients I have on hand or picked up that day. My mother cooked but didn't have a passion for it,basically she did it because it was expected. Most of my knowledge came from working in food service. I got spoiled and I want everything to taste as good as the stuff OFF the menu. I learned I could do.it just as good and cheaper. The only times I don't feel guilty about overpaying for food is when it's something I can't do at home.

It's typical for.me to pick up different veggies at the farmers market ,consider my proteins on hand,pick a starch to add with it and use whichever vegetable goes well with it. I pick up some oyster mushrooms,and before I'm.in the car I've already thought those will go great sauteed with some spinach and shrimp.I'll see some pine nuts in my cabinet and think what is in my fridge that I can throw with them. I keep it varied because I love to do something new. Very rarely is it a disappointment( I'm my worst critic). IF I have a mix of items and I'm stumped I'll just type the main ones into Google and see the recipes that it spits out. If I'm missing some items I will just substitute them.with something else. Sometimes I can do it on my own, sometimes I type that ? In as well.Don't have buttermilk and.I only need a little. Add some vinegar to milk. 10 minutes later you have something pretty close.

My husband can cook, but isn't as adept at creating a balanced menu. Sometimes his suggestion might be a meat and 2 starches where I'd replace one with a vegetable. Or sometimes he wants a cream sauce over an already fatty,heavy meat. It's not just flavor that's important to balance it's color and texture too. I won't serve a meal that's all mush except maybe thanksgiving because I'm not cooking so much for myself as I am for family,and that's the stuff they want.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:27 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think the younger generation is pretty clueless about cooking. To me, it is laziness and/or lack of interest. My sons have had 3 wives and none of them could cook. I do not get how come females these days can't or won't cook. IMO, if you can read, you can cook, so it's just laziness.
Back when I was in junior high (and we had to walk to school 3 miles up hill both ways) we were taught basic cooking and sewing skills. We had to DO it -- it wasn't theoretical. At the end of the term, we held a party where we cooked the menu and our parents came to class to eat what we had made.

Then the next term we learned sewing skills. And yeah -- embroidery.

All this stuff was cut. It's old fashioned to cook, and sew and embroider... all things I love to do.... and did before I had to learn them in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink