Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 07:55 AM

726 posts, read 1,229,863 times

Advertisements

Undeveloped taste, I think, is what boring cooks have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 09:30 AM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfICould View Post
So men, including your sons, can't read?
I'm not going through the whole thread. Din't she say that her sons cook?

Old 02-18-2015, 10:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenapple View Post
Salting is a matter of preference. I would rather see someone using it as a spice rather than the only flavoring method. "Salt and pepper" are NOT the only way to season something.

Woodbury - I agree, cooking is something like a hobby or artform. Everyone should know some basics, but getting creative with recipes and techniques takes interest and dedication. Same thing with, say, lawn care. Some people mow their grass, plant a bush or two, voila. Other people plant all sorts of seasonal landscaping, do all sorts of advanced fertilizing techniques, prune their bushes into shapes and make checkerboard lines in their grass. And then there are all those people in between. (I guess the person who NEVER cooks and just eats out is like the guy who has a concrete slab instead of a yard!) Some people can barely type an email and browse to Netflix, while other people need to write code to modify any and all programs they use, or apps, or whatever is fashionable. It's all a spectrum.
Of course they are not the only way to season, but they are the basis for seasoning and have been around a lot longer than most of the herbs and spices we use today. We do not have to use a lot of salt, there are many spices that are probably a healthier choice but it should be the starts, followed by what other spices a person enjoys. BTW, I am not even convinced salt really hurts anyone. More and more studies are saying salt is not as bad for us as thought to be years ago. This goes for a lot of foods. I do not cook with a lot of salt, but yes, I use some plus lots of types of peppers, rosemary, lots of garlic and basil for starters. Salt is a starter which does bring out the flavor of many foods.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:55 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Quote:
Of course they are not the only way to season, but they are the basis for seasoning and have been around a lot longer than most of the herbs and spices we use today. We do not have to use a lot of salt, there are many spices that are probably a healthier choice but it should be the starts, followed by what other spices a person enjoys. BTW, I am not even convinced salt really hurts anyone. More and more studies are saying salt is not as bad for us as thought to be years ago. This goes for a lot of foods. I do not cook with a lot of salt, but yes, I use some plus lots of types of peppers, rosemary, lots of garlic and basil for starters. Salt is a starter which does bring out the flavor of many foods.
When you say, "I am not even convinced salt really hurts anyone", you are not really ready to accept facts long known by medical experts and science. You are so sold on the idea that one has to use salt on food, to make it taste good, that you are unwilling to accept the fact that salt can kill lots of people.

Things like putting salt in water to boil pasta, potatoes, etc., have long been known as not good for a lot of peoples health.

Sodium Dangers: 10 Tips to reduce sodium in your diet

Salt is really the lazy cooks way of flavoring food.

Sodium Dangers: 10 Tips to reduce sodium in your diet

Healthy Revelations - The Dangers of Excess Salt and Tips to Reducing Your Intake

Old 02-18-2015, 03:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Wasn't the recommended sodium intake recently reduced? Seems like if studies are saying that salt is not bad for us, then they wouldn't have reduced the daily recommended amount. Its also recommended that certain adults reduce their sodium intake to nearly half the recommended amount. If salt doesn't hurt anyone, why should certain people watch their salt intake?

Old 02-18-2015, 03:44 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Wasn't the recommended sodium intake recently reduced? Seems like if studies are saying that salt is not bad for us, then they wouldn't have reduced the daily recommended amount. Its also recommended that certain adults reduce their sodium intake to nearly half the recommended amount. If salt doesn't hurt anyone, why should certain people watch their salt intake?
The optimal intake of salt is revised based on ongoing research. Too little is not good and neither is too much. Many people just consume way more than they need to, and for some that can have adverse effects, like high blood pressure.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:12 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
LOL - most of the alleged "misogyny" has come from females, not to mention the rampant misandry.
Women are cable of putting down their own gender as much as men....and I agree...most of it in this thread has come from women. I won't give them a pass on either the idea a woman is to be judged by if she cooks for her family or that men are so helpless in the kitchen they are to be excused.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:28 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Women are cable of putting down their own gender as much as men....and I agree...most of it in this thread has come from women. I won't give them a pass on either the idea a woman is to be judged by if she cooks for her family or that men are so helpless in the kitchen they are to be excused.

sometimes,, the "helpless" men have just given up trying from a lady(wife) that critiques everything he does in the kitchen...

ive got two married couples friends that the wife has ocd when it comes to cooking, cleaning, and the laundry, and she constantly will put these men down for trying to help...
hey, at least they tried..

Old 02-19-2015, 05:21 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,927,256 times
Sounds like it's time for a salt and pepper thread.

I haven't seen anyone post my current malady - I'm a pretty good cook, we all sat down for dinner every weeknight, for "fun" I created dishes and entered original recipes in cooking contests. Once my kinds became young adults, living their own schedule, my desire to spend time in the kitchen waned dramatically. I can cook, but choose not to anymore. Need to bring a dish? Off to the bakery or specialty store. A light switch has gone off. Life's too short to spend my free time preparing my meals. The occasional holiday meal or b-day get together is about it. Otherwise, it's super quick food, frozen food, or take out.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
i don't think anyone has said sodium doesn't hurt anyone, but I am not sure about the study you are referring to: I have not seen anythin suggesting sodium intake should be reduced. There were a couple of studies last year suggesting sodium isn't the killer many have thought for years. The study also suggested too little sodium isn't good for us. In fact,as we age, one of the routine tests doctors do is checking sodium levels. peopel end up passing out and spending time in the hospital due to too little sodium Just because I don't happen to be convinced salt is a killer doesn't make it right. Why would certain people watch thier salt, because that is what has been suggested for years. Habits do not change overnight and yes, there probably are those who need to be on a salt restricted diet.

You are taking my response completely out of context. Even referring to one statement is taking something out of context. My point is: studies show one thing today and something different tomorrow. I remember when a healthy child needed to drink a quart of milk a day and it should contain fat; slim or blue milk as many called it wasn't even considered healthy. Or when the only true protein was found in meat and cheese, so eat all you can if you want to have healthy blood, plus liver once a week was recommened. Do you see what I am getting at?

For those who do not like salt or who have been told to cut back, unless we are doctors we certainly can not say, dont do it; just the opposite, at least listne to your doctor. You know your body, you be the judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink