Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 02:24 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhorsewoman View Post
How many of the SAME chip bags could he have had that he left in the cart, that a casual glance by the clerk wouldn't have determined how many there were? 10, 20? Otherwise, it would be quite obvious if you said you had 3 and there were 4.

It's difficult for me to believe that the clerk would be so unobservant as to not notice a count difference unless there was a LARGE number of the same product, something people on food stamps are not generally doing on the limited funds issued to them.
Ive actually seen this plenty of times. I bought 5 pillows the other day at walmart and for obvious reasons only handed one to the cashier and said there were 4 more in the cart. She didnt even glance over to count and just scanned the tag 5 times. Ive worked in the grocery business and the bulk of employees are treated so poorly that they could care less if you scanned 4 verses 5 cans of tuna. All theyre thinking about is the fact that their time off request was denied and that they have to work Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 02:34 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I was in line at the grocery store and the man in front of me had about 5 different types of items in his basket. He took one of each and put it on the conveyor belt, and then left the rest in the cart. So for example, he had one bag of chips on the belt, and then several more of the exact same type in the cart.

When he got to the cashier, he told her that there was X number in the cart for each item. So she would take each item and scan it X times. As he said this, I looked down into his cart, and I noticed that he gave her a lower number than was actually in the cart. It was just one lower than the actual amount. So he ended up getting about 5 items for free.

I also happened to glance over as he scanned his card and saw that it was an EBT card (food stamps). (Just an observation, not a judgment).

He only ended up getting maybe $5-$7 dollars worth of free merchandise.

I felt somewhat awkward as I had just witnessed someone shoplift.

Have you ever seen something like this? What did you do?
had I been standing behind you, I would have likely turned you in for aiding and abeting and being an accesory to a crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
The recent comments on here are perfect examples of some observations that Ive been noting lately on forums. There is some kind of subset of people who, when presented with a topic, will take a stance against the author of said topic regardless of said topic's credibility. In other words no matter what you say, x percentage of the population will disagree with you. For instance the author of this post points out that they witnessed shoplifting, and in response 3 people insinuated that something was wrong with the observer rather than the shoplifting in question. Its truly fascinating.
no we don't

Old 08-17-2015, 02:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:

Have you ever seen something like this? What did you do?
Two questions:

How could you see into the cart? (Never mind get close enough to see what kind of card was used.) Most people stand behind the cart and push it through the line.

How do you know it wasn't an honest mistake?

Old 08-17-2015, 02:52 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
The recent comments on here are perfect examples of some observations that Ive been noting lately on forums. There is some kind of subset of people who, when presented with a topic, will take a stance against the author of said topic regardless of said topic's credibility. In other words no matter what you say, x percentage of the population will disagree with you. For instance the author of this post points out that they witnessed shoplifting, and in response 3 people insinuated that something was wrong with the observer rather than the shoplifting in question. Its truly fascinating.
When the original post is difficult to believe, it's normal and natural to question the authenticity of said post, and I won't apologize for doing so either. I'm not going to suspend a healthy amount of skepticism no matter what the topic of conversation is. If shoplifting wrong? Absolutely, and no one will argue that point. Did OP actually witness this incident as she claims? Who knows? However, I will mention a miscounting incident I had at Walmart. I went to Walmart and bought 8 of those small cardboard packing boxes that cost like $0.30 each. At least I thought there were 8. The cashier scanned 1 then rang up the additional 7 without scanning them individually. When I got to my car, I discovered I actually had 9 of the boxes and not 8. Not wanting to take something I hadn't paid for, I returned to Walmart, explained the error, and gave them back the 1 box I had taken by mistake. The cashier thanked me for my honesty on such an inexpensive item.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:40 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,358,403 times
No, I've never seen anything like that. I've seen quite a few instances where customers left crates of soda or bottled water in the cart, but pointed it out to the cashier. I never noticed anyone claiming to have less than they actually had, it was just easier to leave it in the cart instead of transferring it back and forth.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:41 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
I have seen this many times,,and I have spoken up too....I worked in a grocery store - so that was my world
and thieves are thieves,,,we all pay for them,,,and beyond that we get a double screwing if they have an ebt card and stealing..

ive seen the cashier do exactly this to a relative,,,,

ive seen cashiers not scan items,,,,but motion like they did

ive been in home depot,,,the same thing,.. ive called the store and suggested they look at the security tape a 3.10 pm

then they have em on video,,, and can get the cops involved if blatant

before I get rocks thrown at me for being too harsh,,,there's been many times i'll volunteer to help out a single mothers grocery bill if I know she is working and trying

there are more people not working than working,,,, its tough enough trying to support these folks,,, we don't need more and more thieves getting a free ride..

Old 08-17-2015, 03:45 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,992,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I have seen this many times,,and I have spoken up too....I worked in a grocery store - so that was my world
and thieves are thieves,,,we all pay for them,,,and beyond that we get a double screwing if they have an ebt card and stealing..
If they have an EBT card, aren't they *saving* us money?

Old 08-17-2015, 03:52 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
If they have an EBT card, aren't they *saving* us money?

if someone gets something for free,,,someone else is paying for it

and if they are stealing beyond that,,,then yes,,,the people working and supporting this is getting a screwing

before we start having an all out debate on ebt cards,,,,here's my angst, there is sooooo much fraud ,,,that the people who truly need it,,,,don't get much..

Old 08-17-2015, 04:03 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,992,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
before we start having an all out debate on ebt cards,,,,here's my angst, there is sooooo much fraud ,,,that the people who truly need it,,,,don't get much..
So then why begrudge them an extra bag of potato chips?

Old 08-17-2015, 04:10 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
I found myself thinking that maybe this is a known "trick" ... I always put all my items up on the conveyor... but maybe this is a tactic to get a few free items - as long as you get a checker who won't make you pull everything out.
How about this, maybe the guy really needed the $5-$7 help to meet his grocery needs for his family?

Stop being so nosey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink