Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:46 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,667 times

Advertisements

Well, there are incredibly observant people out there. Who notice everything. I'm surprised the store isn't on to this and wanting items up on the conveyor belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 09:51 PM

54 posts, read 67,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I was in line at the grocery store and the man in front of me had about 5 different types of items in his basket. He took one of each and put it on the conveyor belt, and then left the rest in the cart. So for example, he had one bag of chips on the belt, and then several more of the exact same type in the cart.

When he got to the cashier, he told her that there was X number in the cart for each item. So she would take each item and scan it X times. As he said this, I looked down into his cart, and I noticed that he gave her a lower number than was actually in the cart. It was just one lower than the actual amount. So he ended up getting about 5 items for free.

I also happened to glance over as he scanned his card and saw that it was an EBT card (food stamps). (Just an observation, not a judgment).

He only ended up getting maybe $5-$7 dollars worth of free merchandise.

I felt somewhat awkward as I had just witnessed someone shoplift.

Have you ever seen something like this? What did you do?
I have never seen it, but I might have said (in a friendly tone) "Hey buddy, you need some new eyeglasses. I think you called out the wrong number. You said 5 and I see 6..."

Is junk food allowed on the EBT (what does acronym mean?) card? I don't mind subsidizing healthy food, but chips, really?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
And what did YOU do? Nothing? Basically, you are accomplice. You saw a "crime" even let it be a small one - and did nothing.
Every time you get a robo-call and don't report it, you are an "accomplice" to violators of the do not call registry, and I hold you responsible for all the junk calls I get, because you the enabler who makes no effort to help authorities enforce that violation and curb that criminal practice, "even let it be a small one"..

Old 08-17-2015, 10:02 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
Don't think the OP is a weirdo at all. I just think her spare time and attention could be put to better use than playing "grocery check-out police". If the store isn't taking responsibility for their own loss prevention, that's THEIR problem, not some busybody at the checkout. If she doesn't like the store's method or policy, shop somewhere else. Or, alternatively, call the store when you get home and report your observations. That would be a more appropriate time and place - not in line at checkout. And wth does having an EBT card have to do with ANYTHIN

Old 08-17-2015, 10:13 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Most stores I have been in (all across the country) do not allow the checker to enter x number of items - or to scan the same item over and over. They must scan one item at a time.
I don't know about other places but I can scan the same item as many times as I want. Or scan it once and hit the 'enter' button for however many are left. I can also do quantity scans of six items or more, once and done. I can't imagine having a register that couldn't do that.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:15 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiay View Post
I have never seen it, but I might have said (in a friendly tone) "Hey buddy, you need some new eyeglasses. I think you called out the wrong number. You said 5 and I see 6..."

Is junk food allowed on the EBT (what does acronym mean?) card? I don't mind subsidizing healthy food, but chips, really?
So if someone is on food stamps, (EBT Card) you get to tell them what they're allowed to eat? Are you SERIOUS? You don't "mind" helping some family out as long as you approve of their nutritional decisions??? You have GOT to be kidding me.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:24 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:

Yes, chips, really. You know, once in a while when I use my EBT card, sometimes I like to come down to the level of you normal people and have something that's not good for me, just like you.

Sorry, but the sarcasm force was strong in this one and I couldn't resist.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
Well, there are incredibly observant people out there. Who notice everything. I'm surprised the store isn't on to this and wanting items up on the conveyor belt.
I'd say about 90% of everything does go onto the conveyor belt. There are some things I wish they WOULDN'T put up there, like cases of anything like beer, soda and water, and bulk paper towels/toilet paper. I try really hard to catch people before they do and use the hand scanner on those. My motto is, if we aren't going to bag it why put it up there??

Old 08-17-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:

Chips, candy, sodas...they can buy all the same things that everyone else does with a few exceptions but not many.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
There is really not much to do standing in line, it does not seem strange at all for someone to observe what another person has in their basket, and how they pay, etc. Some people, like myself many times, are observant of even the most trivial thing going on around them, while some people are not even paying attention while they drive, let alone to someone while standing in line at the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink