Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 09:03 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I get paranoid. I feel like someone is observing my every action down to minute detail. But that would be crazy. No one does that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I was in line at the grocery store and the man in front of me had about 5 different types of items in his basket. He took one of each and put it on the conveyor belt, and then left the rest in the cart. So for example, he had one bag of chips on the belt, and then several more of the exact same type in the cart.

When he got to the cashier, he told her that there was X number in the cart for each item. So she would take each item and scan it X times. As he said this, I looked down into his cart, and I noticed that he gave her a lower number than was actually in the cart. It was just one lower than the actual amount. So he ended up getting about 5 items for free.

I also happened to glance over as he scanned his card and saw that it was an EBT card (food stamps). (Just an observation, not a judgment).
Oh, no. They are watching...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 09:07 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
The cashier needs to take control of the situation and not let this happen.
The cashiers would LOVE "to take control of the situation" but, at my store, we aren't allowed to say anything. I've had people with as many as 50 items come through the 20 or less registers. If it isn't busy I don't care except for the fact that we only have three bags on the rack at those registers and they fill up fast. One of the worst is this one lady who always seems to come through my line when I'm on a 20 items register and 90% of her stuff is ad matched as well. She rarely ever has less than 50 items. I wish the people BEHIND these people would say something even if I'm not allowed to. Mostly they don't and just give dirty looks.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:10 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,992,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Why not? If the person using the EBT does not want to be told what to eat, then they should use their own money.
With the fked-up food industry in this country, they probably can't afford anything but junk food.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
WOAH! Are you this prejudiced in REAL life?
Would you really be surprised if he was?

Old 08-18-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
The only people Ive ever heard defend EBT users "right" to buy junk food with the card are those that use EBT cards. Anyone with a brain thinks these cards should be used to only buy healthy and wholesome food. A family that is in true need doesnt need to be feeding their children potato chips and Dr Pepper, they need rotisserie chicken with green beans and cornbread. Id feed this to needy children day and night if I knew thats what they were getting. However as you can tell from the THOUSANDS of posts on this forum and others this isnt what people are observing AT ALL.

Congress itself has attempted over and over again to remove junk food from eligible items but the cost of doing so proves to be too burdensome.

Source: Eligible Food Items | Food and Nutrition Service

Section: “Junk Food” & Luxury Items
Rotisserie chicken is not allowed on EBT. Anything hot or prepared is not allowed. I also noticed that non-EBT customers pay a higher tax than the regular food tax here. Food tax is 3% and deli food gets taxed at 9.035% the same as non food items. But then EBT foods are not taxed at all.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
A very long time ago when I was a kid, there was a cashier in a local grocery store who would do these favors not only for her friends, but anyone who she thought seemed needy. This was way back when the cashier had to actually enter the price manually...no scanners. So this cashier would pick up an item, say a $4.00 roast, and enter a much lower price, so the price of the roast went down to only pennies. She would also just push several items past her at once, then maybe pick up most but not all and enter the prices.

She went to prison.
Things are so much more 'sophisticated' now that our cash office would notice something like that in a heartbeat. Just last week I rang up an $11 item for $5...it WAS marked down...but two days later I had a manager come ask me about it. I've seen people try this at the self checkout scanners too and it's not always easy to catch those, especially if all the scanners are busy and needing help at the same time. I've also seen them try to walk off with their cart while the screen is still in payment mode without completing the transaction.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:26 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,454,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Would you really be surprised if he was?
Nah. I guess some people, who after reading Animal Farm, believe that 'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.' is a statement to base one's philosophy of life and charitable giving on, isn't going to be someone I want to tip a beer with.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:56 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
^^^This depends on where you live. Here in most stores, you unload the cart from the front onto the conveyor belt and if the person behind is in front of their cart starting to unload their cart, you look directly into the cart of the person in front of you. There is not a lot of activities to engage in while waiting to checkout and there are no privacy laws regarding looking into the cart of another person. I have had people ask me about products in my cart while standing and waiting in line.

A lot of posters here sort of sound like they approve of shoplifting and cheating.
No, of course not. If the shoplifting is obvious and one is sure that it occurred, then IMO that is the time to say something to the cashier or other store employees, and let them go from there. But I stand by what I said in that one really has to be a nebnose, ie, paying close attention to what the other shopper is telling the cashier, counting the items in the shopper's cart to see if the number is the same as he told the cashier, and looking directly over the shopper's shoulder to see which button the shopper keys into the card scanner to see if it's an EBT card, to determine that he is indeed shopplifting. I don't know about the OP, but I have too much on my own plate to devote such time to look for cheaters.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:14 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Rotisserie chicken is not allowed on EBT. Anything hot or prepared is not allowed. I also noticed that non-EBT customers pay a higher tax than the regular food tax here. Food tax is 3% and deli food gets taxed at 9.035% the same as non food items. But then EBT foods are not taxed at all.
You can buy a chicken, and rotisserie it. I wasnt referring to the already cooked ones in the deli.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:15 AM

Yes, I'm sure that most EBT recipients have rotisserie ovens at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink