Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 12:02 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Probably far less than they make by replacing cashiers with self-service kiosks, reducing staff, reducing staff hours, etc. If it's a problem, there's a simple solution: Hire more cashiers and pay them enough so that they care about whether their employer is being ripped off or not.
True. And let's not forget the unpleasant reality that many of these cashiers who scan our groceries are themselves using EBT cards to purchase the food that feeds their familes at their homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 12:03 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,760,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
^^^This depends on where you live. Here in most stores, you unload the cart from the front onto the conveyor belt and if the person behind is in front of their cart starting to unload their cart, you look directly into the cart of the person in front of you. There is not a lot of activities to engage in while waiting to checkout and there are no privacy laws regarding looking into the cart of another person. I have had people ask me about products in my cart while standing and waiting in line.

A lot of posters here sort of sound like they approve of shoplifting and cheating.
^^^^Same setup in my grocery store and WalMart. It's pretty weird how people are attacking the OP....really strange.

And, a lot of people do approve of cheating as long as it's an "evil corporation" getting the shaft.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:06 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,760,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Chips, candy, sodas...they can buy all the same things that everyone else does with a few exceptions but not many.
There is something wrong with that and it should be changed, but I honestly don't know how it could be done.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:23 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,454,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Oh please spare me the drama. Categorizing junk food as ineligible does not make you go to bed hungry, it just means you need to eat buttered Lima beans instead of Pringles. For god sakes......
This is an excercise in futility. Let me just say this - for a very, very long time, I thought much the same way you do until life happened and I couldn't afford to sit on that shiny, high horse anymore - it's totally different when it's real and your every day existence than when its just some grand idea in your inexperienced head. And when you DO fall off that high horse, God forbid, I hope you aren't treated with the same disdain as you're showing.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:25 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
This is an excercise in futility. Let me just say this - for a very, very long time, I thought much the same way you do until life happened and I couldn't afford to sit on that shiny, high horse anymore - it's totally different when it's real and your every day existence than when its just some grand idea in your inexperienced head. And when you DO fall off that high horse, God forbid, I hope you aren't treated with the same disdain as you're showing.
It is NOT disdain to say you should be eating healthy food with EBT cards verses junk. Im getting an image of you sitting on a couch stuffing potato chips in your mouth crying and claiming "this is my right, I deserve these."

Old 08-18-2015, 12:26 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Every time you get a robo-call and don't report it, you are an "accomplice" to violators of the do not call registry, and I hold you responsible for all the junk calls I get, because you the enabler who makes no effort to help authorities enforce that violation and curb that criminal practice, "even let it be a small one"..
I report them. If you aren't reporting yours, they will continue to come.

Quote:
Don't think the OP is a weirdo at all. I just think her spare time and attention could be put to better use than playing "grocery check-out police". If the store isn't taking responsibility for their own loss prevention, that's THEIR problem, not some busybody at the checkout. If she doesn't like the store's method or policy, shop somewhere else. Or, alternatively, call the store when you get home and report your observations. That would be a more appropriate time and place - not in line at checkout. And wth does having an EBT card have to do with ANYTHIN
Who do you think makes up the difference and is actually paying for what is stolen?

Quote:
So if someone is on food stamps, (EBT Card) you get to tell them what they're allowed to eat? Are you SERIOUS? You don't "mind" helping some family out as long as you approve of their nutritional decisions??? You have GOT to be kidding me.
Actually, they are working on that. It would be more like the way that WIC works and you'll most likely see that in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Chips, candy, sodas...they can buy all the same things that everyone else does with a few exceptions but not many.
Actually, if you shop on the first weekend of the month, you'll get a pretty good idea what they buy and why they need the food bank by the middle of the month, not all but those long termer that aren't just getting a little help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Why not? If the person using the EBT does not want to be told what to eat, then they should use their own money.
Yes. More restrictions are going into place all the time. I know here they can get all the deli items, sandwiches, roasted chickens, etc. as long as the food isn't hot, we consider those items "treats" but then we work for every cent and always have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I think you're reaching. Just a tiny little bit. Unless of course by "approve of shoplifting and cheating" you mean "I'd probably speak up."

Edited for clarity: The quote I posted of my own, was the VERY NEXT POST after the post AnywhereElse criticized and implied that I approved of shoplifting and cheating.
AnonChick: I was referring to your believing that ALL stores would be set up like the ones that you shop in. I guess if you haven't moved around or traveled to other areas, it would make sense to think all stores have a similar setup but since we have been around, I can tell you that even the chains are not set up the same. The statement at the bottom of my post was in general applying to all of those criticizing the OP for having noticed what was in the cart and that the customer was cheating. There are a lot of people thinking that cheating is OK.

So what if the OP noticed this. If it were me, I would have complained to the store about what I saw. Most stores are more careful than this so maybe the clerk knew the customer and was just letting it slide. In smaller towns, with us, they sometimes just ask how many since they know us.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:47 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,689,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The cashier can't always see over her own counter to the bottom of the shopping cart, and not all register lanes have mirrors and sensors to let her know there's something there.

I've noticed that at some of the Albertson's stores out here, they've got openings along the bottom front of the register which give a full view of what is in the cart to the cashier without them having to lean all the way over or perform any sorts of gymnastics to do so. Perhaps more stores would be wise to adopt this.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:53 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,714 times
Never seen it myself here in NYC but have in other places. Usually, I don't mind, it's not right, but there are more important issues than sneaking one item out of 5 for free from groceries.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:54 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,689,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Probably far less than they make by replacing cashiers with self-service kiosks, reducing staff, reducing staff hours, etc. If it's a problem, there's a simple solution: Hire more cashiers and pay them enough so that they care about whether their employer is being ripped off or not.

Did you ever think that if they weren't losing a whole ton of money through shoplifting that they may just have more money to do so? For a lot of grocers, it is a low profit margin business, your average local supermarket has a profit margin of 1-3%. So they aren't exactly rolling in the dough to be able to throw money around. People generally want competitively priced groceries and they want a good selection to boot, if they don't find it, they go elsewhere and they have plenty of options considering how insanely competitive the grocery business is.

Shoplifting in the U.S. overall costs businesses tens of billions of dollars a year. Supermarkets lose about 3-4% of their annual sales to shrink, of which shoplifting presents the biggest cause. At some point there's only so much stores can do and over time what happens is that we all end up paying more as a result.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:01 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,454,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
It is NOT disdain to say you should be eating healthy food with EBT cards verses junk. Im getting an image of you sitting on a couch stuffing potato chips in your mouth crying and claiming "this is my right, I deserve these."
Well then that says a whole lot more about YOU, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink