Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:13 PM

19,505 posts, read 9,532,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
You can order Wolferman's online. Their English muffins are big and fat, but I don't know how the price compares to Thomas brand. You'd also have to buy several packages at one time.
I like Wolferman's . Favourite is the cranberry citrus. I get mine from the Harry & David at the Prime Outlet up in Hagerstown, Md. They didn't have any the last time I went. Looks like I'll be attempting another visit this week. Maybe Tuesday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 06:55 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Thomas's English Muffins are getting to be slider size.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:10 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I have never liked Thomas’. I don’t know why people buy them. I prefer Bay’s or even Publix brand.

Thomas’ seem gummy and soggy, even after toasting. I want an English muffin to be crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:33 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have never liked Thomas’. I don’t know why people buy them. I prefer Bay’s or even Publix brand.

Thomas’ seem gummy and soggy, even after toasting. I want an English muffin to be crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.
They used to be the only brand there was, at least the only widely-known brand, and they got the share of the market because everyone was familiar with them. Then, as with other products, the manufacturer figured they had everybody hooked and could start making them with poorer quality and less value. Never heard of Bay's, and Publix isn't in my state. I don't know that my local supermarkets even have their own brands of English muffins

After the last package I bought, I think I am done. They don't taste the same and as the poster above says, the texture isn't good anymore. The exception might be the corn ones, because I like the flavor and no one else I know of makes them. I like the corn one for a veggie burger or a salmon or tuna sandwich.

Trader Joe's "British Muffins" are good. I will get them from now on.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They used to be the only brand there was, at least the only widely-known brand, and they got the share of the market because everyone was familiar with them. Then, as with other products, the manufacturer figured they had everybody hooked and could start making them with poorer quality and less value. Never heard of Bay's, and Publix isn't in my state. I don't know that my local supermarkets even have their own brands of English muffins

After the last package I bought, I think I am done. They don't taste the same and as the poster above says, the texture isn't good anymore. The exception might be the corn ones, because I like the flavor and no one else I know of makes them. I like the corn one for a veggie burger or a salmon or tuna sandwich.

Trader Joe's "British Muffins" are good. I will get them from now on.
Bay’s are refrigerated in the dairy section. They are not bargain muffins, but I think they’re worth the money.

Someone a few posts back mentioned Wolfermans. I used to get their catalog, but haven’t for awhile. They have nice holiday gift packs. I think I got crumpets from them.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:27 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

My Dh and I grew up on Thomas'. We do like them the best out of all of the grocery brands that we have "tried". I like to toast them extra crispy and I love the way the butter stays in the nooks and crannies, lol. I haven't bought them in awhile so I don't know if they still do that

I will have to try Bay's and Publix.

BTW, I have made homemade english muffins and they are pretty darned good

Old 09-23-2018, 09:32 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,423,007 times
I bought a package of English crumpets at Trader Joe's in place of English muffins and my kids wouldn't touch them. What would you do with the crumpets to make them appealing? How are these usually served?

Old 09-23-2018, 09:41 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
I bought mint milanos (Pepperidge Farm) about 2 years ago? Hadn't purchased them in at least 5+ years at that time.

They were HALF the size cookie that I remembered. And I mean that. i checked the package because I thought I had bought a mini-size cookie version.

Ridiculous.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:34 AM

130,128 posts, read 12,088,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I bought a package of English crumpets at Trader Joe's in place of English muffins and my kids wouldn't touch them. What would you do with the crumpets to make them appealing? How are these usually served?

You have to toast them really well, so that they become brown
. Then slather on the topping of choice, I like just a good quality butter on them, to sink & melt into the holes.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I think of them as a cross between an English muffin and a biscuit. I split them and toasted them. I don’t know how the Brits fix them. I just use butter and jam.

The place where I buy my scones makes round ones, so I toast those like an English muffin too. I had clotted cream and jam with scones in England, and it was way too sweet for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink