Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 12:28 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,535,380 times

Advertisements

Split pea soup with lots of ham, homemade bread, green salad, and grilled sirloin steak. Chocolate chip cookies and Christmas candy for dessert.

The salad will be butter lettuce, romaine, blue cheese crumbles, pecans, and pomegranate seeds with a red wine vinaigrette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 12:04 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,421,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, what a Scrooge. Stop it already.

Merry Christmas.
Sorry, it did sound a bit Scrooge-y and I probably didn't notice I was on the Food & Drink forum. But it didn't say "what are you cooking" or "what do you cook" for Christmas, just "are you cooking", which as I mentioned before, in my social circle is usually asked by those who ARE cooking, never by anyone who says "nah, we're doing Chinese this year". LOL!

OK, but to jump on board here, the big Christmas Eve dinner in my area up North was the Italian Feast of the Seven Fishes....a tradition very much still alive today. Christmas Dinner is usually ham or turkey. Luckily, I was invited to a friend's home where someone made a ham that I actually LIKED, it was tender and delicious. Merry Christmas to all!

Love,

Scrooge

Old 12-26-2015, 03:36 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,365,135 times
In my previous post, I said I wasn't cooking my traditional Christmas Eve dinner at my daughter's house (because she complained about: too much food, too fattening, too many leftovers, too big a mess in her kitchen, etc.), and they were going to have Christmas dinner at her in-laws' on Christmas Day. Well...she did a complete about face. Turns out, her mother-in-law was serving an early Christmas "lunch" (to accommodate the other kids who had to be at THEIR in-laws for dinner)...and my daughter was pining for a REAL Christmas dinner (and so was son-in-law). So, I made sliced ham with pineapple, Pennsylvania Dutch potato filling, Copes stewed dried corn, green bean casserole with french fried onions, and homemade Pennsylvania Dutch pumpkin custard with whipped cream.

Then we went home Christmas Day afternoon, and I put my turkey in the oven. We had it with homemade gravy, the leftover potato filling, stuffing, leftover corn, and the rest of the pumpkin custard (needless to say, I relieved my daughter of the unwanted leftovers and fattening stuff). DH also requested his favorite rice pudding with raisins, and I made that, too.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:23 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,524,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes! ...And, I actually have those neighbors! - Or very similar.

One of my all time favorite Christmas movies.
Ours as well . Watched it twice yesterday.

Everything came out great yesterday. But I am tired - don't think I'll feel like cooking for a month. Luckily - there are plenty of leftovers. Robyn

Old 12-26-2015, 05:36 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,524,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, I'm not sure what we are eating tonight because DH tried to make reservations today for a Christmas Eve dinner. He seems quite surprised that everywhere is booked up.

The kitchen is pretty much off limits because it is set-up for tomorrows brunch. I'm guessing he will BBQ a steak. He gets the butcher to cut them super thick, probably a t-bone or something.

Tomorrow's brunch will be baked french toast, baked eggs benedict, bacon, fried potatoes and sausage, fresh fruit with yogurt dip, mulled wine and mimosas. One of us plans.
Our golf club has a Feast of the Seven Fishes Christmas Eve. And both seatings sell out weeks in advance (you're probably talking about close to 400 people in total). I think I made our reservations about Thanksgiving or so.

We had waffles and bacon for brunch yesterday. Christmas is a big food splurge - brunch and dinner . Today it's back to the usual lunch - something like fruit salad . Robyn

Old 12-27-2015, 06:27 AM

19,971 posts, read 30,278,373 times
Thank you all for your responses....this is a great example of why this forum is so active, shared responses from all over the world, and learning from others, and its interesting hearing traditions and meals of others

not sure how long these threads stay around(in the used thread abyss) but it would be a good reference for new members/ new cooks next year

Old 12-27-2015, 07:01 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,262,508 times
What about New Year? Anyone cooking something special for that? I'm going to roast a whole duck

Old 12-27-2015, 07:37 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,398,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
What about New Year? Anyone cooking something special for that? I'm going to roast a whole duck
New Year's Eve is my daughter's birthday, so it varies based on what she wants to do. This year, she's having her friends over for pizza and a movie marathon. My oldest and youngest have plans elsewhere. Not sure what my husband and I will eat, but I'll figure something out.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:35 AM

19,971 posts, read 30,278,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
do you roast a duck any differently than a chicken??

I love duck!!

I made a sign before Christmas at a store that said " Get Ducked for Christmas"!!

Old 12-27-2015, 12:17 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,262,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
do you roast a duck any differently than a chicken??

I love duck!!

I made a sign before Christmas at a store that said " Get Ducked for Christmas"!!
I do a slower roast for duck usually, and turn the whole thing over several times so the skin is crispy all round the duck rather than just on the top and also pour boiling water over the duck before roasting it to render a bit of the fat and tighten the skin, that helps it become crispier. Might go for a Peking style flavour this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink