Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 04:07 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,063,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
moist is always far superior to dry

do you use hot sausage?

Back to the cooking... I use raw sausage meat, mix it with diced onion, mushrooms, herbs (especially sage) and stuff it between the meat and the skin and it all cooks up together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 04:24 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post

Back to the cooking... I use raw sausage meat, mix it with diced onion, mushrooms, herbs (especially sage) and stuff it between the meat and the skin and it all cooks up together.
has this been a family tradition, or something you just tried?

Old 12-22-2015, 04:50 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,063,385 times
Quote:
has this been a family tradition, or something you just tried?
I've been doing this every Christmas for years. It's traditional in the UK to have turkey with stuffing. We use the left-overs for sandwiches in the evening (can't be bothered with more cooking).

Old 12-22-2015, 04:57 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,199,237 times
Talking MERRY CHRISTMAS, everyone! :) THANK YOU MB!

Quote:
I can do that for ya

here's a boneless pork loin I rolled a short while ago... added some provolone cheese and spinach ,, season, then roll and tie, for pork Florentine

I often add pepperoni and/or salami for Italian florentne... I cook this roast in tinfoil,,,to keep the melted cheese in place

Attachment 162984

Attachment 162985

Attachment 162986

Attachment 162987

Attachment 162988

Great pictures, MB You definitely know your way around the kitchen I think we should have a CD get together at your place! THANK YOU for sharing your recipes, tips & ideas

Old 12-22-2015, 05:13 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Great pictures, MB You definitely know your way around the kitchen I think we should have a CD get together at your place! THANK YOU for sharing your recipes, tips & ideas
thank you country !!

sure,,,,come on over

have a great Christmas!!

Old 12-22-2015, 06:20 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
Lasagna!

Old 12-22-2015, 06:25 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Well, I just put the candied orange peel in an airtight container, after nabbing a few pieces!

Tomorrow we make the lebkuchen dough and let it sit overnight in the fridge. We'll also cut up a bunch of stuff and have it ready to assemble for the potato salad.

We're going to make the CUTEST little reindeer cookies with the passle of grandkids. I will probably get run out of town on a rail in this section of the forum, but get this - there's not ONE DROP of actual cooking with those cookies - and they taste really, really good. Here's the ingredients list: Nutter Butter cookies, white frosting in a squeezey thing, small pretzels, and M and Ms. That's it! The kids love them.

Here's a picture:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...50920310507763

Tomorrow night I'll make the red cabbage with my littlest granddaughter, who at age 6 loves to cook. She's coming home with me to spend the night here. She's so excited - she's had her little bag packed for four or five days now!

Thursday we're making the brotchen and finishing up the lebkuchen. Friday we'll assemble everything for the hot potato salad, heat up the red cabbage, pan fry the bratwurst, and fry up some potato pancakes later.

Woohoo! So excited!

I'm especially excited about making the mulled wine. I like anything that involves a little muslin bag of herbs and spices - and alcoholic beverages!

Old 12-22-2015, 09:48 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
I'm cooking - we have a spiral ham, which FIL bought to share. However, today he requested that I boil the whole ham instead of roasting it so he can have the stock for bean soup.

Not. Happening. I will tell him we don't have a big enough pot, and I'll make ham stock out of the bone portion, like normal.

Sides will be likely be rolls, mashed potatoes and green beans, since I am cooking for elderly people whose taste buds are questionable at best. Maybe sweet potatoes. And dessert will be pumpkin bread with ice cream and caramel sauce, I think.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:52 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,261,106 times
Making Christmas Eve dinner for friends -- standing rib roast with a veggie medley cooked in the same pan -- mushrooms, carrots, onions, celery, and lots of garlic, of course. Plus sauteed spinach with garlic and crumbled bacon. Not sure about dessert yet -- I'll pick that up tomorrow at the specialty shop where I ordered the roast.

Christmas dinner will be our tradition: lamb chops rubbed with rosemary, thyme, and garlic. We like to cook them on the grill, and most years DH has to be well bundled up to do that. This year it's supposed to be 71 degrees on Christmas! Traditionalist guests, so sides are baked potatoes, peas, and a lettuce salad.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:44 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
What is your traditions for your holiday feast??

what is popular in your area ??

in the northeast, "Prime Rib" (bone in rib eye roast) is the preferred centerpiece of the meal
also hams , lamb, pork roasts, crown roasts and ducks/turkeys are popular

I usually cook a bone in rib eye,,,i bone and tie it so its easier to carve
rub it down with oil...season it...let it roast uncovered 15 minutes per lb at 325..
I let the roast come to room temp before I put it in the oven

I also use a thermometer and take out around 125f for rare-medium rare (it will cook another 10 degrees while letting it set on the counter for 20 minutes

by far in this northern new England,, prime rib is the number one special order to a butcher shop or grocery stores' meat department

I realize not everyone has a feast, or holiday celebration,,,feel free to share some food traditions growing up... years ago
Prime Rib here too, but I don't season mine. I rub it with oil and roast it at 275 degrees for about 6 hours. I pull it out about the same internal temperature. This year we're doing Christmas dinner tomorrow because of a party on Christmas.

A friend is hosting a "widows and orphans" Christmas dinner for about 10 people. She's cooking a small turkey, we'll contribute a ham and a couple pies. The key to a feast is not a lot of one thing, it's a big variety of foods. When we host Christmas we aim for about an 8 course meal that would include turkey and dressing, potatoes and gravy, winter squash, a fruit salad, sweet and dill pickles, home made cranberry sauce, fresh baked bread, black olives and dessert. By the time you take a single spoonful of anything, your plate is full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink