Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 05:02 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
What exactly is the flavor or taste of vanilla extract? Somehow, a tiny drop seems to make big difference, so it's kinda miracle I can't say what it tastes like, but after I add a single drop in my mocha, it tastes like what it should, unlike before.

Any by the way, I'm new to using vanilla extract, so am not sure how much to use, and what food to add it. Beside cookies (which I don't make), drinks, what else can I use it to enhance the flavor?
Pure vanilla extract has a touch of alcohol. Soooooo....for insomnia, one of my favorite things to do is make a warm cup of milk with vanilla extract and artificial sweetener. Mmmmmm. The milk has melatonin and the vanilla has a touch of alcohol. It helps me to sleep.

I've heard that it's a comforting scent to put in some water on the stove for simmering, like when you are selling your house. You either bake cookies, or use that vanilla scent. Of course, I think it'd be easier & last longer to use the scented oils with sticks (what do you call those?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 06:08 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,713,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Pure vanilla extract has a touch of alcohol.

I've heard that it's a comforting scent to put in some water on the stove for simmering, like when you are selling your house.
Lol!

Btw the one I bought was non alcoholic. I wonder why most of them need alcohol?

Old 01-13-2016, 06:17 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,454,142 times
Quote:
Lol!

It's the law.

Extracts in general are made with alcohol (pure ones).

Old 01-13-2016, 06:41 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Lol!

There are a few of methods of extracting aromatics from their plants. Solvent extraction with hexane is one, often used to remove thicker oils and fats from plants (such as soybean and nut oils). Centrifugal extraction is one - used regularly with citrus oils. Alcohol extraction is another. It's a matter of science - you need some method of "extracting" the desired oil from the plant. You could also lay a layer of lard out on waxed paper, spread the seeds on the lard, let it stew a few weeks, and then use hexane to extract the aromatic from the lard (that's done often with delicate flower oils, such as jasmine and rose).

Since we're dealing with a flavoring agent added to sweet foods, the best option would be an alcohol extraction. Alcohol is a very thin liquid and a very small amount will mix well in things like cake batter. The alcohol evaporates in the cooking process, but the aromatic flavor remains.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:44 PM

^^^^^ Thank you so much for the explanation!!

Old 01-13-2016, 10:06 PM

^^^ Yes, amazing. Never occurred to me how the flavor might have been extracted from the plant (apparently thought the flavor crawled out of the plant by itself ).

Old 01-13-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
^^^ Yes, amazing. Never occurred to me how the flavor might have been extracted from the plant (apparently thought the flavor crawled out of the plant by itself ).
Right there with you! I usually attribute stuff like this to magic.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:43 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,464,556 times
Quote:
What exactly is the flavor or taste of vanilla extract? Somehow, a tiny drop seems to make big difference, so it's kinda miracle I can't say what it tastes like, but after I add a single drop in my mocha, it tastes like what it should, unlike before.

Any by the way, I'm new to using vanilla extract, so am not sure how much to use, and what food to add it. Beside cookies (which I don't make), drinks, what else can I use it to enhance the flavor?
Be sure to buy quality Vanilla Extract and not Imitation Vanilla Flavoring! The good/real stuff is more expensive but it is worth every cent.

I'm very lucky that my cousin makes it at home and sells/gives it to friends and family. It's surprisingly simple to make. You just take tow vanilla beans and split them in half. Drop them into a bottle of quality vodka (don't buy the cheap stuff, at least spring for Stoli or go all out and buy Grey Goose) and put it into a dark, cool space for 4-6 months, shaking it every 2-3 weeks.

I know from experience that leaving Vanilla out of a recipe that calls for it really makes a difference (and not in a good way). But a little definitely goes a long way. I don't bake a lot but there is an Apple Cake recipe that my aunt created and everyone in my family loves it. I was making it right after my cousin gave me a fresh bottle of her homemade Vanilla and decided to add a teaspoon to the cake batter and about half of a teaspoon in the glaze. I hid the cake and ate almost all of it myself over the next five days or so. I'm not proud of that...

Old 01-13-2016, 11:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
I have vanilla salt. It is an awesome flavor enhancer. I use it in cookies. I had a chocolate bar with raw nuts that needed a boost. Delicious. Natural peanut butter. Chia seed pudding. Chocolate pudding. Ice cream. I am working on more ideas.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
I hid the cake and ate almost all of it myself over the next five days or so. I'm not proud of that...

(the one I bought is the non alcoholic one by Simply Organic, $8+ for a 4oz bottle)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink