Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 01:35 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
What exactly is the flavor or taste of vanilla extract? Somehow, a tiny drop seems to make big difference, so it's kinda miracle I can't say what it tastes like, but after I add a single drop in my mocha, it tastes like what it should, unlike before.

Any by the way, I'm new to using vanilla extract, so am not sure how much to use, and what food to add it. Beside cookies (which I don't make), drinks, what else can I use it to enhance the flavor?
Instead of a cup, next time put a drop on your tongue - more than likely you will have a good idea as to what does it taste like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 06:06 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Pure vanilla extract has a touch of alcohol. Soooooo....for insomnia, one of my favorite things to do is make a warm cup of milk with vanilla extract and artificial sweetener. Mmmmmm. The milk has melatonin and the vanilla has a touch of alcohol. It helps me to sleep.

I've heard that it's a comforting scent to put in some water on the stove for simmering, like when you are selling your house. You either bake cookies, or use that vanilla scent. Of course, I think it'd be easier & last longer to use the scented oils with sticks (what do you call those?).
How much vanilla are you drinking?!?

A drop or two of 35% alcohol vanilla extract won't give much of a buzz...

Old 01-14-2016, 09:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
How much vanilla are you drinking?!?

A drop or two of 35% alcohol vanilla extract won't give much of a buzz...
exactly what I'm thinking. Not going to help much for sleep IMHO.

I also agree about quality vanilla. Cheap stuff , imitation, is a waste of money. Just be sure to keep the lid on tight since it will evaporate otherwise.

I add it to pancakes, french toast, cakes, cookies, puddings and everything sweet. By itself it is bitter and not at all what it smells like.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:02 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,448,074 times
When I was a child and a girlfriend was teaching me how to smoke cigarettes, she said to take a swig of vanilla extract and my mother wouldn't be able to smell smoke on my breath. The taste of the vanilla extract was vile and it didn't conceal anything.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:34 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
exactly what I'm thinking. Not going to help much for sleep IMHO.

I also agree about quality vanilla. Cheap stuff , imitation, is a waste of money. Just be sure to keep the lid on tight since it will evaporate otherwise.

I add it to pancakes, french toast, cakes, cookies, puddings and everything sweet. By itself it is bitter and not at all what it smells like.
The reason is that artificial vanillin is chemically the same as the vanillin in real vanilla. But natural vanilla, especially quality vanilla, has so many other compounds that add to the richness of the flavor.

Why do people use artificial vanillin?

Vanillin = $6 a pound
Vanilla beans = $50+ a pound

Vanilla is second only to saffron as far as cost goes.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:59 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
The most frugal way to obtain vanilla extract is to order your beans on-line, where they're a steal compared to the grocery store, and make it at home, using either vodka or rum. I prefer vodka. It's the easiest thing in the world, and the taste is head and shoulders above the commercial brands. I use it in all sorts of stuff, but the simplest is just a few drops in a mug of warm milk before bed. Heaven!

Old 01-14-2016, 02:23 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,599,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Vanilla goes into many desserts or baked goods.

If you've only had imitation vanilla extract, buy some real vanilla extract. It's worth the extra expense.
Buy a real vanilla bean, the difference in taste is amazing.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:19 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Vanilla paste is waaaaay better.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:56 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,776,718 times
So is the white/clear vanilla extract real vanilla or vanillin?

How do you make it clear/white?

Great information by the way!

Old 01-14-2016, 04:12 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,715,152 times
Only vodka or rum? What about red wine or other wines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink