Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 07:37 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Spoiled brat read an article in our paper just yesterday about the fillers in Parmesan cheese; I think now he will stop bitching about my spending so much money of decent cheese.
Is "spoiled brat" your child, your husband, or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 10:16 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Maybe it's a type of spoiled sausage...

Old 02-22-2016, 12:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Sorry, this started as a joke or nick name for hubby many years ago on here. Those of us who post regularly and have for years know who I am talking about. So glad you asked: I am sure others have wondered as well.

BTW, he is spoiled brat but a nice one, most of the time.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:02 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I just checked the label on my jar from Costco. Parmigiano Reggiano, made of Part-skimmed Cow's milk, cheese cultures, Salt and Rennet. I love Costco.

How much?

Old 02-25-2016, 02:17 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Regarding the refrigeration controversy, hard cheeses will spoil eventually, but they last a very long time at room temperature while remaining perfectly edible and delicious. Note that aged cheeses like Gouda and Parmigiana-Reggiano sold at higher end shops are simply wrapped and presented on tables, not kept in the cooler. My husband and I used to backpack for a week at a time years ago and always had a wedge of aged Gouda for snacking. It's called a traveling cheese for a reason. It does not need to be refrigerated.

As for the cellulose issue, I don't find the taste and texture of powdered Parmesan appealing, but wood pulp does not freak me out. It's a food additive that is perfectly safe to consume, but I'm sticking with the real stuff on principle. If I buy cheese, I want actual cheese, not cheese product.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Just a note but real Fettuccini Alfredo is made from a bechamel sauce and is a basic "white sauce" which you can control the amount of Parmesan as you make it.

Bechamel Sauce Recipe : Mario Batali : Food Network

The amount of Heavy cream & butter in your recipe is beyond "UnGodly" and not healthy ! Try making a bechamel sauce first and it is not difficult.

Add the cheese after the bechamel sauce is made since you can control the taste.

Good luck !
Like others, I make Alfredo sauce using reduced heavy cream, Parmigiana-Reggiano, and whatever herbs will suit the final dish. No butter or flour. It's rich and not the least bit healthy, so I keep the portion size small and only occasionally indulge. My favorite way to serve it is with smoked salmon and lightly roasted asparagus on fettuccini. Yum!

Old 02-25-2016, 04:32 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
[quote=randomparent;43145208] Regarding the refrigeration controversy, hard cheeses will spoil eventually, but they last a very long time at room temperature while remaining perfectly edible and delicious. Note that aged cheeses like Gouda and Parmigiana-Reggiano sold at higher end shops are simply wrapped and presented on tables, not kept in the cooler. My husband and I used to backpack for a week at a time years ago and always had a wedge of aged Gouda for snacking. It's called a traveling cheese for a reason. It does not need to be refrigerated.[/QOUTE]

From what I've read, the origin of cheese was basically a way of preserving milk in the days before refrigeration, it can be thought of as 'salted milk' when salt was one of the main means of preservation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
As for the cellulose issue, I don't find the taste and texture of powdered Parmesan appealing, but wood pulp does not freak me out. It's a food additive that is perfectly safe to consume, but I'm sticking with the real stuff on principle. If I buy cheese, I want actual cheese, not cheese product.
I agree, cellulose isn't going to hurt anyone, I just prefer buying/grating cheese by itself.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:39 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
I went to a cheese shop this evening. Not only were all of the hard cheeses out at room temperature, they had some very good cheddars out at room temperature. In fact, I bought a block of one of the cheddars, and I'm noshing on it at this moment.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:42 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
...I agree, cellulose isn't going to hurt anyone, I just prefer buying/grating cheese by itself.
It's not that the cellulose is harmful, it's how the cheese melts when it's coated in cellulose that turns me off. I agree - grate your own cheeses.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:16 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
I made a great sauce the other day, cooked up my noodles, and then sprinkled a heaping helping of Parmesan.

This was the first time I tried "Publix" store brand. I spent most of my meal wondering where all this paper came from. At first I thought I must have somehow left some wax paper packaging from the sausage in the mix.

A real disappointment - back to Kraft brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink