Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 02:18 PM

604 posts, read 618,672 times

Advertisements

I buy the wedges at Costco. Is something like 11$ a pound I think.

After opening, i wrap them in a paper towel and store in a ziploc bag, in the fridge.
A small grater goes in the bag, so i don't have to worry about washing it every damn time I use it.

Parmesan is a protein bomb, you need around 2 gallons of milk in order to make a pound of cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 03:53 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
-Snip-
After opening, i wrap them in a paper towel and store in a ziploc bag, in the fridge.
A small grater goes in the bag, so i don't have to worry about washing it every damn time I use it.
-Snip-

Guess what I am going to do in the future? THANKS! I feel like such an idiot to not have thought of that.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:44 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Real cheese comes from goats and cows. Goats and cows eat cellulose, the cows graze on grasses while goats will consume both grasses and woody plants. So whether you eat the real deal or the imitation stuff, you are getting cellulose regardless.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:32 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Well, not under a heat lamp. Parmesan has been made for almost a thousand years - long before refrigerators came about.
Yeah, that stuff is *already* spoiled, I can't imagine that it could smell any more putrid than it already does. *GAG*CHOKE*PUKE*

Old 02-18-2016, 01:28 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
From time to time I have purchased 4C parmesan in the shake jars. It has to be stirred before you use it, so I don't think the anti-caking agent is present there. Naturally the parmesan you see in the grocery shelves isn't the highest grade available. But it's cheap and easy to use.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:10 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,776,168 times
OMG!!!
I started reading this at 3am, not fully yet caffieneated.......!!!

I laughed so hard I had an asthma attack!!! I woke up my husband, he yelled at me and asked me if I'd lost my F** g mind!

I was informed normal people don't laugh hysterically without coffee and certainly not til tears are rolling down their face until they have an asthma attack at 3am!

I'm still smh!!!
Thank all of you for the laughs!!! i!I'll be bookmaking this thread and reading to anyone who needs a laugh!!! God I hope I don't kill em!!

Thank you!! I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to eat cheese again!!!

Head cheese, toe cheese, moldie cheese, plastic cheese, wood cheese!!!
Lord help me!!

I'll be having cheese nightmares!!! I'm praying to God my insurance covers phyciatric counseling!

Now I'm deeply disturbed and will suffer cheese related PTSD!!!
I'll have to get a second opinion from my dogs now!!!
I'll do a real cheese vs fake cheese test on them and report back!!

I trust my dogs!!!

Old 02-18-2016, 04:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:

Parmesan is a protein bomb, you need around 2 gallons of milk in order to make a pound of cheese.
But isn't the grater still dirty even if it's in the same bag with the cheese and refrigerated? I would worry about metal stored with the cheese.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:20 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:

And a sodium bomb too, right? Isn't the salt content pretty high in Parmesan?

Old 02-18-2016, 07:37 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Okay, newbie cook reporting back. Let me preface this by saying when I normally make fettuccine Alfredo, I use about a half canister of cheese. That even sounds terrible, now that I know it's not real cheese. And at the same time it makes me laugh hysterically, because who in their right mind would think it's real, cheese in a jar? Good Lord, I'm an idiot.

And the cheese I bought yesterday was $4 for a 1/2 lb., while there was another that was $12. I guess I should have bought the more expensive one, because I was disappointed in the flavor. Or maybe I didn't use enough. I will keep playing with it.

Another funny thing happened too while I was at the store. Suddenly my eyes "saw" all this gourmet food that I never noticed before. Like Mascarpone! I'd heard about it being used as an ingredient since I have the Food Network n 24/7, but didn't know where you'd buy it, I figured some foo-foo gourmet store. Oh and olives stuffed with garlic! And pancetta! And marinated artichoke hearts!

This cooking thing could get expensive.

And yes, I know to most cooks, none of that is gourmet. But I'm 48 and just learning how to cook. What I called cooking prior to this was emptying a box of stuff into a pan with margarine.

Did you know you can get butter with olive oil & herbs already in it? LOL

Old 02-18-2016, 07:46 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Okay, newbie cook reporting back. Let me preface this by saying when I normally make fettuccine Alfredo, I use about a half canister of cheese. That even sounds terrible, now that I know it's not real cheese. And at the same time it makes me laugh hysterically, because who in their right mind would think it's real, cheese in a jar? Good Lord, I'm an idiot.

And the cheese I bought yesterday was $4 for a 1/2 lb., while there was another that was $12. I guess I should have bought the more expensive one, because I was disappointed in the flavor. Or maybe I didn't use enough. I will keep playing with it.

Another funny thing happened too while I was at the store. Suddenly my eyes "saw" all this gourmet food that I never noticed before. Like Mascarpone! I'd heard about it being used as an ingredient since I have the Food Network n 24/7, but didn't know where you'd buy it, I figured some foo-foo gourmet store. Oh and olives stuffed with garlic! And pancetta! And marinated artichoke hearts!

This cooking thing could get expensive.

And yes, I know to most cooks, none of that is gourmet. But I'm 48 and just learning how to cook. What I called cooking prior to this was emptying a box of stuff into a pan with margarine.

Did you know you can get butter with olive oil & herbs already in it? LOL

LOL, we are particular about what we eat, and yes, I'm 62 so cooking has been my thing for some time.
The gourmet food section is something you can make for yourself right at home just by googling recipes for sauces, spice mixes, etc.

So glad you have found the parmesan...the real stuff. You can also make your own cheese at home. We do.
It's pretty cool, just depends upon how deep you want to get into clean food.

edit: Yes, it costs money for the initial setups, but pays for itself over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink