Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 10:15 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Living on an island in the middle of the Pacific, I really should stock up . . . right now, I have less than a week's worth of food stored (I could stretch for longer on what I have, but it would be somewhat uncomfortable).
If your island is Oahu, Prospect, and if it were me, I'd stock up for well over a month and not tell anyone you had it. Overall, Oahu is about three meals away from starvation. However, when you factor in the amount of tourists who have zero food stored, large portions of the island can reach starvation levels within one meal if something happened to the supply lines. And the supply line is about 2,500 miles long.

If you're in a condo or apartment building, then your only stored water would be what's in bottles or the tank of the toilet. If you're in a single family residence somewhere with a standard gas or electric water heater, then you'd have about twenty to fifty gallons of water in the water heater automatically stored. Seawater in a black container with a sheet of slanted glass for a lid can create fresh water condensate dripping off the edge of the glass for extremely limited amounts of fresh water if supplies get critical.

As for us, we don't keep anywhere near the amount of food we used to. There used to be about a year's worth or more around here, but now we're down to about four or five months worth. I can ramp up garden production in that amount of time if necessary and we have 365 gardening days around here.

There is a circuit on the PV system which powers the refrigeration during the daylight hours even if the power grid goes down, so we've got refrigeration power. Got enough rainfall to live on catchment if we had to, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 11:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
We always buy rice in bulk, so that'd last a while.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:20 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If your island is Oahu, Prospect, and if it were me, I'd stock up for well over a month and not tell anyone you had it. Overall, Oahu is about three meals away from starvation. However, when you factor in the amount of tourists who have zero food stored, large portions of the island can reach starvation levels within one meal if something happened to the supply lines. And the supply line is about 2,500 miles long.
If I recall, Oahu has enough food on Island for 3 days.

Now add to that what happened when we had a 6.8 earthquake. No power for 24 hours. No cell phones. And we were a couple hours from the water plants shutting down. I'm not sure if much has changed in the decade since.

Store your food island peeps.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-24-2016, 12:05 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
I'm not a big stockpiler. I buy groceries once a week every Sunday, so 1-7 days, depending on what day of the week it is. But if you include canned goods, etc, hubby and I could survive for about 2 weeks, maybe 3. But without fresh food and fresh milk, I wouldn't be happy about it.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:06 PM

772 posts, read 1,060,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I like you already By the way, how is the fish from Costco where you are? Generally fresh/high quality?
lol.. thank you

We do like the quality of the fish from Costco but I have to confess that I'm not a fish connoisseur. As for freshness, i would say seems fresh when we buy it but then we freeze it and slowly but surely take all the freshness away.. But for a zombie apocalypse.. will most definitely do

Old 08-24-2016, 12:19 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
I have enough for 10 -14 days, plus a box of pancake mix and 5 lbs of flour for bread making. But it really depends on what day of the month you ask me.

Food stamps go on my card on the 4th and I shop between the 6th and the 10th of the month. I usually get a whole months supply of food at one time because I am portioning out my meals and benefits for the month. At that point I can say I have enough food for a month but towards the end, the food is mostly running out. Most of the time my meals come out even with little to nothing left over. I rent a small room with a kitchenette and I have no room to store more groceries if I wanted to. There's no place to put a generator, not that I could afford one anyway. I keep 2 1/2 gallons of water in the fridge all the time.

August has been a little unusual in that I had so much food left over from July (good sales from the stores over the 4th), that I splurged a little this last month on some stuff I usually can't afford and I actually made three trips to the grocery store to only replenish what I already had. In fact, tomorrow I plan to go and get 5lbs of potatoes and a few other things that will give me an additional 5 - 6 days of food.

September will be another good month for sales because of Labor Day being on the 5th.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:44 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

If you're in a condo or apartment building, then your only stored water would be what's in bottles or the tank of the toilet. If you're in a single family residence somewhere with a standard gas or electric water heater, then you'd have about twenty to fifty gallons of water in the water heater automatically stored. Seawater in a black container with a sheet of slanted glass for a lid can create fresh water condensate dripping off the edge of the glass for extremely limited amounts of fresh water if supplies get critical.

As for us, we don't keep anywhere near the amount of food we used to. There used to be about a year's worth or more around here, but now we're down to about four or five months worth. I can ramp up garden production in that amount of time if necessary and we have 365 gardening days around here.

There is a circuit on the PV system which powers the refrigeration during the daylight hours even if the power grid goes down, so we've got refrigeration power. Got enough rainfall to live on catchment if we had to, as well.
I am on Oahu and will be doing better! I just bought a 30 pack of bottled water and will buy additional water each weekend until I'm at a decent level. I'm also going to stock up on some additional canned food items . . . I'd eventually like to have enough food for at least a month. Nothing glamorous/fancy . . . just enough to get by and remain healthy. And I'm telling no one! Nor would I make any foods that carried a strong order/indication that I'm eating if something did go down!

Also, I'm in a condo, which makes the water issue even more important for me.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:45 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
lol.. thank you

We do like the quality of the fish from Costco but I have to confess that I'm not a fish connoisseur. As for freshness, i would say seems fresh when we buy it but then we freeze it and slowly but surely take all the freshness away.. But for a zombie apocalypse.. will most definitely do
Most definitely! And good to know. I'd imagine that the fish supply would differ by Costco location, but your review certainly doesn't make me less likely to try things out at the Costco by me; I'll probably look into sometime this weekend.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:33 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Lots of times we will go a month without going to town. I don't know how much food we have. Plenty. I try to stay stocked with toilet paper too.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:10 PM

159 posts, read 204,636 times
Depends on how you count. We could probably eat tomorrow and the next day with minimal creativity. If civil war broke out overnight and Whole Foods closed it's doors, God forbid!, we'd probably survive for a month or so stretching out raw calories stored in the pantry We tend to pick something up almost every day, even if it's just fresh broccoli or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink