Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 05:43 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
debsi,,,I like your enthusiasm and spirit

but, its just me,,,, it was tradition in this region to have baked beans on Saturday nights,,
my mother would make these, and no matter how she would make them,,,, those beans looked like a pile of deer-dung
and tasted probly the same,,

,baked beans is up there with the evil peas as being my worst tasting foods-

I haven't even tried a baked bean in over 35 years.... the smell is revolting to me,,, id rather eat spinach.. with a toothache
LOL so no baked beans for you, got it. I don't think my mom likes beans much, so I've come to my own appreciation of them as an adult. I'll agree with you that the peas are evil if they come from a can.

I'm only cooking for two, but I like to make a pound of beans and divvy it up into 2 cup portions for the freezer. Canned beans are all right, but for not much effort or money the homemade kind are sooo much better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 06:46 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I grew up and still live on the Coast in southern California.

Traditional American food around here is a fresh salad with some lemon pepper grilled chicken on it and maybe an Italian dressing or some balsamic oil.

We grill year round and grilled chicken is one of my favorites. Also love a good burger.

Not much of a fish eater although fish tacos are a big thing around here. I only like fish that you catch the same day.

Mostly Latin inspired creations with a Mediterranean flare would be what I would call the Southern California experience. What that means is a good Burrito. LOL

For a real treat though the food has to come from a street vendor. The best hot dogs are wrapped in bacon with grilled onions and peppers served on a large corn tortilla. Chili's on the side. When I am talking a Chili I am talking a good Serrano chili

Old 05-29-2016, 01:57 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Hamburgers
hot dogs
watermelon
mac and cheese
pancakes and real maple syrup
peanut butter and jelly
onion rings
chocolate chip cookies
grinders/subs--whatever you call them in your area
grilled cheese with tomato
BLT

Probably just my regional bias but I've never had a lot of the other things on the lists. Please send me some, lol.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:22 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
If you were to name some foods or meals typically eaten by Americans, what would they be?

Fried chicken
Pizza
Hamburgers
Meatloaf

Hmmmm....

Pizza comes from Italy...

Hamburgers come from Germany...

Fried chicken and meatloaf are kind of nondescript...

They may be typical, but I'm not sure they're classic.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:51 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
New England boiled dinner.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:56 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
There are a lot of different claims for invention of the hamburger (mostly from the United States) and it is impossible to validate due to the somewhat nebulous definition of meat between bread. However the growth of the food item universally called the hamburger happened in the United States starting over a century ago. It is a distinctly American food.

My wife and I were once at a festival in Berlin that had stalls for foods from different countries. We found the USA one (appropriately stars and stripes decorated) and sure enough they were frying up hamburgers.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:55 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I grew up and still live on the Coast in southern California.

Traditional American food around here is a fresh salad with some lemon pepper grilled chicken on it and maybe an Italian dressing or some balsamic oil.

We grill year round and grilled chicken is one of my favorites. Also love a good burger.

Not much of a fish eater although fish tacos are a big thing around here. I only like fish that you catch the same day.

Mostly Latin inspired creations with a Mediterranean flare would be what I would call the Southern California experience. What that means is a good Burrito. LOL

For a real treat though the food has to come from a street vendor. The best hot dogs are wrapped in bacon with grilled onions and peppers served on a large corn tortilla. Chili's on the side. When I am talking a Chili I am talking a good Serrano chili
OMG. A grilled chicken salad from Sammy's! You know, the one with the blue cheese and walnuts?
I SO miss Sammy's.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:02 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Hmmmm....

Pizza comes from Italy...

Fried chicken and meatloaf are kind of nondescript...

They may be typical, but I'm not sure they're classic.

Just to clarify, I'm curious about meals and foods modern Americans currently eat, or that your mom or grandmother made.
I'm not talking about foods the Pilgrims ate.
Just to add to your comment, I understand that fried chicken we eat today is actually a variation on a dish originating in Africa.
Meatloaf came from the devil himself, I'm sure.

I got a kick out of all the regional foods that have been listed.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:08 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
There are a lot of different claims for invention of the hamburger (mostly from the United States) and it is impossible to validate due to the somewhat nebulous definition of meat between bread. However the growth of the food item universally called the hamburger happened in the United States starting over a century ago. It is a distinctly American food.

My wife and I were once at a festival in Berlin that had stalls for foods from different countries. We found the USA one (appropriately stars and stripes decorated) and sure enough they were frying up hamburgers.
hamburger is originally from german immigrants. the reason why it's not stated as german food is because many german immigrants let go their german roots after the 3rd reich.. and wanted no association with what was going on in europe, as a function of german racism in america. there are many ground meat pattie type dishes in their heritage, also most of east europe. hamburger = hamburg. frankfurter = frankfurt. as with sausages, etc.

this was during the 1800 prussian emigration to USA.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
My mother and grandmothers all worked, so they were very basic and pragmatic cooks. My father grew up on meat and two veg dinners, the blander the better. My maternal grandmother did the whole meat and two veg thing, too. It was what "respectable" middle class families served. My mom was only slightly more adventurous. She worked a lot when I was growing up, but I remember Crockpot meals & casseroles, plus the occasional Chicken Cordon Bleu when she was feeling particularly motivated and adventurous. As for us, my husband and I have had the privilege of living in and raising our children in major coastal cities, so they have a taste for everything from sushi to fish fingers. We like anything: Thai, Cuban, Mexican, Lebanese, and so on and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink